Rumor: Miazga to Nantes on Loan

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by manfromgallifrey91, Aug 1, 2018.

1. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-t...ning-us-defender-matt-miazga-to-nantes-source

Miazga on the way to France to finalize a loan for the year, pending medical and all that. Looks like he also could have joined Caen but opted for Nantes.

Current CBs on the roster according to their roster release: Deigo Carlos, Nicolas Pallois, Koffi Djidji(coming off loan and has played LB), Anthony Walongwa, Thomas Basila(youth promotion).

I dont pretend to know much else as I don't really follow the Ligue 1 too closely. Thoughts or anyone out there who does follow Nantes more closely have an idea of how much he should play?

Winoman and Marko72 repped this.
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Former home of Alejandro Bedoya! They certainly gave him every opportunity to win a place, and Ale thrived there.

Column by Ale on his experience in his Euro stops:
    https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/alejandro-bedoya-soccer-usmnt-fc-nantes-france

The toughest country of all to adjust to has been France, where I play now for FC Nantes. It’s also been the biggest jump athletically.

But French people are very introverted, so it took me a little longer to get into the group. I had to earn respect and it took almost four months — until I scored my first goal — for my teammates to start opening up. All of a sudden, guys who I didn’t think spoke any English started speaking a little bit of English to me.

3. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably a good move. A nice step up from Holland, but not the huge step that risks leaving him on the bench.

TOAzer repped this.
  4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Good showing against France may have helped. I honestly think he might have been good enough to stay at Stamford Bridge. Hwvr, if he plays more in Nantes and the salary is the same, why not?

5. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately naw he isn't. Rüdiger (25) and Christensen (22) are both much much better and still young. Luiz while older is a great fit for how Sarri wants to play and huge for the locker room. Then they have Cahill most likely on the way out and Zouma also likely headed for loan. While I'd rather him than Cahill, Cahill is also huge in the lockerroom and captain. Zouma has a higher ceiling tho he will likely never reach it. Neither will likely be there next year either because of the switch from 3 CB's to 2. So who might you say is gonna be the 4th CB? Young kid 17 years old named Ampadu, kid looks to be the real deal. I'd honestly rate him 3rd best CB on the roster right now. Luiz has been too inconsistent and a move to a back 4 instead of 3 leaves him less protected. Miazga has made improvements in his two years on loan. If he does well in France I hope he gets a chance in Germany or Italy or the EPL but he likely never makes it to Chelsea as a senior player. His ceiling just isn't high enough. I think he'd do well for an Everton level team.

6. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
  7. 21st Century Pele

Apr 16, 2014
    Not the mother club yet, but not a bad thing as long as he's getting playing time.

8. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    #8 skim172, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Chelsea doesn't really have a reputation for promoting academy players into the first team, for whatever reason. Generally, they're loaned out until they're eventually sold or released; at best, they might become a rotational player or a sub. Christensen is the recent exception - prior to that, maybe Zouma in that brief window in 2016 before his injury? And before then ... John Terry, I guess? I'm not sure Christensen has entirely nailed down the first-team spot, either. And Zouma is back out on loan this year.

Additionally considering the existing talent ahead of him at the position, I don't think Miazga ever really had much chance of playing at Stamford Bridge. But being one of Chelsea's loanees is still not a bad path for a player to get a good permanent role somewhere else.

And who knows? There's been a few instances of a young player who didn't cut it at Chelsea becoming a star elsewhere. I'm not holding my breath, but I will cross my fingers.

9. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sorta think Rudiger sucks, but that's just me. Nantes is a good club, and a step up in level for MM. That's all that matters I suppose.

10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I tried to watch Nantes when Bedoya played there but they were really boring back then and haven't watched since.

11. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    I see this as a sort of lateral move but he will get the chance to play against top level attackers a few times a season.

12. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miazga gets to play against Balotelli. :)

nowherenova repped this.
  13. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    You mean Balotelli gets to play against Miazga ;)

14. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    This is the only thread in USN&A for Miazga... figured no need to create another. Many people claim that he "failed" in France but the reality was that he played 9 games/810 minutes. He made two mistakes in the last game after a new coach taking over. He didnt play again. In the previous 8 games he was adapting well. Here are his highlights of that period...

manfromgallifrey91 repped this.
  15. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Miazga moved to Reading and led the backline that avoided relegation.

tomásbernal and TOAzer repped this.
  16. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he will succeed in a number of environments but he seems to be a very streaky player. He has a long memory and I think a mistake kind of rattles him for a bit. I think more experience at the upper levels and he will be over that. I look forward to see where he goes and what he does this season following the GC.

17. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    What makes you think he has a "long memory". I have never gotten that impression from him. He made quite a few mistakes starting out with the NYRB and it didnt seem to phase him at all. He has always seemed confident, bordering on arrogant to me... the kind of person that could convince themselves that a mistake didnt happen. He definitely doesnt strike me as a person who over thinks things, but instead just goes out and plays on instincts.

Most of this is conjecture on my side so would be interested in hearing your thoughts and any examples on this.

18. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, during the game where he grabbed the groin of another player was because, if memory serves, it was some back and forth the whole game. Same player got elbowed by another player. In the game against Ireland he had a couple iffy moments that I think he was thinking of that caused him to whiff on that last goal.

I mean this is all subjective it could just be that he made mistakes during the game. For a more detailed account Id have to go back and find the games I am thinking of. But I just feel that he deals with long term issues (playing time at Nantes as an example) well, but struggles in the game sometimes. Just my observations.

bsky22 repped this.
  19. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    During his progression from MLS to Chelsea, to Holland, to France and back to England, he has progressed constantly. You can't beat the coach. Hence, his move from France, which I believe was not based on merit. He played well and the new coach shut the door. Either way, fell back on his feet and awaiting another challenge. I think his progress is moving along nicely. You can tell I think he's good.

UncagedGorilla, freisland and bsky22 repped this.
  20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, the Nantes affair is the outlier here. He won his Vitesse spot with the help of injuries, no doubt, but was clearly better than the Dutch/Zwolle van der Werff, who he eventually kicked to the kerb/curb.

He's handled his Chelsea/not Chelsea adventure pretty well, I think. Shown a lot of maturity for a kid who had shot of espresso then got loaned out late and had to fight for minutes. I was a bit dubious when he went to Chelsea and I doubt he'll ever be at that level, but he's show he can help a good number of teams.

21. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Chelsea/Man City route seems to be a good move for some, not for others. MM has been paid well while learning and showcasing his game around Europe. Maybe he doesn't play for Chelsea, but he will find an employer over there. I am yet to be convinced by Steffan. he is starting his journey through the MC ranks. Time will tell. I guess my point is that you sign with big guys that have the ability to find a spot for you to learn while making money, good. money. Some break through, Salah and DeBruyne come to mind. Some don't. Too many to mention don't, but they do find places to play because someone saw something that was worth taking a shot on.

DHC1 and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  22. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Looks like Miazga is getting screwed for his second GC in a row.