Miami World Cup Committee and MLS Investors

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by drSoFlaFan, Aug 10, 2009.

1. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New article involving a committee to bring WC games to Miami in 2018/20, which is basically is a list of people who could potentially be good for a MLS bid for 2012/13:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/breaking-news/story/1179864.html

Noteworthy on the committee:

Marcelo Claure
    Alonzo Mourning
    Stephen M. Ross(Dolphins and Land Shark Stadium owner)
    Facundo L. Bacardi, Chairman of the Board, Bacardi Limited
    Peter J. Dolora, senior vice president of American Airlines
    Emilio Estefan
    George Feldenkreis, chairman/CEO of Perry Ellis International

If these guys are interested in WC soccer, they ought to be at least somewhat interested in MLS. Then you have the whole Beckham possibility as a wild card. Needless to say there are people who can make it happen, the question is how do we get them to do it.

2. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So these people could be investors for Miami MLS?

3. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well anyone could be, but these people happen to be on a committee working to get World Cup games down here, or perhaps even have Miami as the host city. Some of them are big time businessmen who obviously like soccer(why else would they be on the committee?), so that makes them good candidates. We already know Claure is willing to try(whether he will again who knows). Any one, or better a combination, of these people would make fine investors for an MLS club.

Nothing is official, no one has stepped up yet, but the big money is out there for investment into MLS.

4. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea but i think we should confront these investors and see if they can help us they are our only hope zo mourning emilio estefan thats the perfect foundation for a home grown Miami MLS team not Barcelona who is across the pond, investors that lived breathed and know Miami!! we have to confront them and ask them to help us!! I want MLS in Miami and repping 305 !! I want a stadium in downtown perfect for transportation and a team to call my own!! anybdy with me on this one?

5. pabloM

pabloM New Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think we all need to get together and plan a MIAMI MLS Rally. We need 100 or more people with signs, drums the works. Invite the press,the mayor. I think that will get the attention of investors and Garber.

6. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but it will take some serious planning.

For a more immediate solution, the best venue might be the final MFC game of the season. I remember we had FCB Miami/MLS banners and whatnot at that game last year.

Plus it comes with a built in crowd in one place(probably at least 1,000 at Lockhart), almost all of which would surely support MLS coming back.

We'd need every Ultra on hand, and it would be good to get everyone in the crowd singing/chanting for MLS and get video of it and put it online.

Out of respect to Miami FC(not sure they deserve it after that 9-0 nonsense), I think it would be best to keep most of the MLS stuff pre/post game.

7. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets name the suppose Miami MLS team:

Club Deportivo Miami : CD Miami : Club Deportivo Miami 2012

Come on Miami lets do this I want a team in Miami for MLS, USL is going down the drain, so lets get together and bring a team to Miami.... some one should contact the World Cup investors and tell them to get it together. We don't want Miami to have just the world cup, we want a team we can watch every year the MLS season comes around!! Dale Miami!!

8. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we are no longer limited to coming up with names for a club that is to be owned by a foreign team, there is only one acceptable name for any future MIAMI based MLS team: Miami Fusion(with or without the FC).

The same goes for a Fort Lauderdale based team, it should be the Strikers.

There are now many examples of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" strategy when it comes to team names in MLS: Seattle Sounders, San Jose Earthquakes, and soon to be Portland Timbers and Vancouver Whitecaps.

In fact, San Jose, and Seattle pre-fan vote, originally had(or planned to have) dumb names, but eventually the mistakes were corrected and they chose historically popular/successful names.

Miami Fusion is a great name, it was just misused last time. That team, as soon as they decided on Lockhart and made extensive renovations, should have been called the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers.

Some people might think it's not that important, but especially when it comes to branding, you don't toss away successful history if your smart. If the Fusion and Mutiny were the Strikers and Rowdies respectively, they may still exist today.

Now, since the Fusion did end up keeping that name, it would be smart for any new MLS team in Miami to revive it, and build upon the success of the Fusion in that final glorious season.

9. soybostero

soybostero Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Miami
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    x2!

10. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn did anybody see the Dolphins game last nightm that booth of celebrity would be the best combo for MLS investors...

Chad Ochocino
    Marc Anthony
    Dwayne Wade (or atleast ZO mourning)

What can we do to get an investor that really wants a team, that is a celebrity that can give the Miami team some credit to start with??

11. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well a positive note on the MLS front is we past to the last 18 spots for the world cup, can it be a boost in our search for an MLS team?? I certainly hope so, this can help us alot for an MLS expansion in MIami

12. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Utherhimo

Utherhimo Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Magic City FC sounds more Orlando than Maimi....Sorry.

14. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    sorry to 'rain on your parade', but i just do think MLS brass and owners will want a team in a baseball stadium-- unlike football, the configeration for baseball is not conducive for soccer-- even the 'new' renovated portland timber stadium is being reshaped from baseball to soccer

the 2 sports just do not match up well!! i dont see it happening :(

15. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea i know what you mean, there was te video in that site, it looks like a bad place to have a soccer match, any day.... just posting what other people reading, we have to build a stadium where the old miami arena was....

Are u from Miami? or live here?

16. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you are an idiot... Does basketball seem to be the world sport? no right? I didnt think so..

FOr your info Orlando Magic is a name of a team as is the LA Lakers and the Utah Jazz, they are just names..

Magic City for your information is Miami's nickname, known for its rapid growth, so yea Magic City FC would be a good name for Miami and no it is not in the case of Orlando....Sorry dumbass

17. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During baseball season absolutely nothing but baseball will be played at the new ballpark. I can guarantee you that. The Marlins have had to deal with sharing with the Dolphins for their entire existence, and MLS would overlap with the MLB season almost entirely. Bad idea.

There might be some soccer and/or CFB bowl games at the ballpark in the winter when baseball is in the offseason, but trust me on this, from April to October, no sports other than baseball will be played there.

One exception will be if/when the upgrades to Dolphin Stadium happen, which might force the Dolphins/'Canes to move out for a season. They'd have no other place to go but the ballpark, and if that happens I hope the Fish turn the tables on them and stick 'em with a crummy lease lol.

18. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. pabloM

pabloM New Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Marcelo Claure will try again. David Beckham also has interest in Miami. We the fans need to continue to be vocal.