Miami FC vs Portland Toothpicks [R]

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by Red Harvest, May 8, 2006.

1. Newtbomb

Newtbomb Member

Mar 24, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep an eye out here over the next couple days:
    USL Highlights.
    They may wait until after Sunday's matches to post the week's highlights.

2. Mr. Hilter

Mr. Hilter New Member

Feb 10, 2006
    Crowd was just 2,433 and despite the excuses given earlier in the thread I'm expecting to see "Team Miami" by mid-season.

3. CORE_ZSUL

CORE_ZSUL New Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Thanks Newtbomb...

4. Newtbomb

Newtbomb Member

Mar 24, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Do you mean more butts in the seats?
    I wish that were true.......
    Only someone who doesn't live here would expect people to show up at a soccer match.
    The realist in me says that a 3500 attendance average for the season would be reasonable for this team (with no excuses). I do not see Brazilians flocking to see Romario & Zinho yet (and there are many living here). My guess is that the crowd is 75% Hispanic. They should bring up a popular Brazilian team to play the FC in a friendly! That might help more Brazilians get interested. Just a thought..........

And thanx for the pics from the west stands, Red. I'm glad you had better luck with the lighting than I did.

5. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    7:30 kick off is tough on Friday night's. The Palmetto is always a parking lot and God forbid there is an accident on US1 or I-95.... I'd like to see what the turnout would be for a Saturday evening match.

The attendance wasn't helped by the fact that from 3pm to about 8pm it looked like the heavens were going to open up and give us one helluva down pour.... thankfully it never did rain.

6. IceFunk

IceFunk Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Congrats on the win, however I must say I am looking forward to your guys visiting Portland on July 2, we shall make it a great hostile enviroment for them ;) .

Anyways, Miami needs to start putting butts in the seats, 2,500 is pathetic, sorry for the harshness, but it's true. I would like to see them upwards of 4,000. I mean c'mon, you got Romario and El Loco, what else you need. Plus it looks like a great atmosphere, all that cool stuff they got at the stadium, c'mon Miami, get your shit together.

7. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    Aw, cmon funk..gives us break. :D

I've spent time in Portland and PGE Park is right by downtown. So you guys catch a game, hit the bars afterwards, check out some of downtown. Make it a night.

Tropical Park is way out in west Miami amongst the suburbs. Miami folks are more fickle and just wanna hit the clubs on the beach. Our version of the MAX (Metrorail) runs nowhere near Tropical Park. Traffic on the Palmetto on a Friday night is murder.

Trust me, 2500 is a decent crowd on a Friday night by Miami standards for something people would consider "minor league".

If the Heat can't sell out every game, what do you expect from Miami FC?

I'd be happy with an average of 3,500 a home game for the season.

8. miami305fc

miami305fc New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    in da hood
    if miami averages between 2500 to 3000 a game then i think itz a success miami being a dolphins city channel 4 always has to buy the last few thousand tickets to broadcast the game locally, we have baseball team who has won 2 world series in bout 10 years and they get about 5000 per game so anything between 2500 and 3000 seems ok with me

9. joe guy

joe guy New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Portland, OR

The question is: can Miami survive on 3000 average per game? Hopefully it can, and they do, but travel costs in USL-1 are mighty steep.

10. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you got GolTV watch American Soccer, they have been showing highlights from Miami home games.

11. CORE_ZSUL

CORE_ZSUL New Member

Apr 18, 2006
    :( I´m from Brazil...

Any software show GolTV ?

12. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    Unfortunately no, Core.

Sorry. Only on TV.

13. Newtbomb

Newtbomb Member

Mar 24, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    Good job on the scans Newt.

15. Newtbomb

Newtbomb Member

Mar 24, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and I noticed video highlights are up for this match.
    The audio is horrible, but the video is great with the help of a camera placed on the sideline!

Miami Vs Portland Highlights

16. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    The Atlanta highlights are up too Newt.

Wow, I can see the passing is becoming much better now. The team is starting to gel.

17. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think everyone seems to forget that this club is 6 - 7 months old. I think 2,500 is a good start. That and considering that the club has done very little advertising until about a month before the season started. I think we need to look at attendance with some perspective. Sure if they had a year to sell the club before the first game or this was their 2nd or 3rd season, it wouldn't be very good.