Miami FC NASL Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by dmont, May 20, 2015.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thinking is that they were awaiting an announcement about the new waterpark to be built next door, since no news on that front it now appears that the clock is ticking down on them pretty quickly.

2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    That's 5 guys that were not there a few months ago

[​IMG]

4. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miami FC wins in the last minute. goal from Chavez!

FootySkeptic, brentgoulet and Lucho305 repped this.
  5. FIUPantherFan

FIUPantherFan Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to them utilizing all that freedom to grow that brand globally.

7. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “There have been a couple of teams that have come and gone [in Miami], but I don’t know they had the right formula,”

“So I think the passion, the heart, and the beat of Miami is in this sport. This is the sport where you see the real pride of Miami and the real passion from the people. Whether it is for their heritage, their nationality or country of origin, or for wherever they lived prior to this, plus we’re giving them the opportunity now to spread that passion to a local team. So this city, this community, is really a soccer town.”

And there is the real problem with trying to build support for a local club in places where there are a lot of people who are from or have their heritage in different soccer loving country. I've seen countless instances where teams are wide-eyed, looking at all of that potential support and it just is not there. They have their fútbol ties elsewhere and they are hard to break. It has been a tough sell to get them to also support their now local club. That doesn't mean they can't be gotten, but to think you'll get them en masse just because they like soccer is fool's gold.

revolution1776 repped this.
  8. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, miami is real young, especially with soccer, we are adapting to what the rest of the country is doing. Since soccer in the US is growing its starting to become bigger here.

Miami, still doesnt have an identity yet, and may take time till we work or identify each other as one. MIAMI Has way too many cultures and diversity to have an identity, therefore i believe the same resonates with local pride. Most first generation miamians born here, feel more attached to their parents country rather than this country (city as well). these same Miamians when asked where are you from? they instantly answer with their (family) background and not with (the part of Miami they were raised in - kendall, south Miami, little haiti, etc.)

I was like this before, until i realized, my background (families origin) didnt really relate to me, or figured out, yea if USA was to implode would i move to My parents country? And be able to live a life there, or canada, lol cuz the english. Point is i was born here and this country made me who i am today, not really my parents country of birth. I respect my background but I wont love it more than USA.

Just my .20 cents

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Burr repped this.
  9. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    @Lucho305 I think the MLS's success of Toronto FC proves the identity and cultural story isn't as true as you'd like to think. In 2007, MLS was expecting about the average attendance that Miami FC is getting, because of similar reasons. Except that's not what happened at all, I think atmosphere in the stadium and the experience of the game day is what gets people there and keeps them there more than anything.

brentgoulet repped this.
  10. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I don't know how young with soccer Miami is. I went to my first professional soccer match to watch the old Miami Toros at the Orange Bowl in 1975. But yes it's true that there has not been first division soccer in Miami since 1976 and therefore no top-flight track record for forty years. Lower division attendance in those years hasn't been great but that's not a good barometer.

You are correct in that the people that would be more likely to support a local club would be those children of immigrants that don't necessarily have the ties to "home" teams. But it is also that population that might not be as passionate soccer fans and may prefer more "American" sports.

I would like there to be a solid dependable fan base down there for an MLS club, but with South Florida being kind of a fickle sports town I'm not sure that's in the cards. I suppose we'll see if this thing ever gets off the ground.

brentgoulet repped this.
  11. Lobison

Lobison New Member

May 4, 2012

Last home game was awesome well over 5k people and nice tailgate party and activities for whole family.

brentgoulet repped this.
  12. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This I like to see. I wish the Strikers up the road could get their attendance up again.

brentgoulet repped this.
  13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we think Miami can make it to the Soccer Bowl?

Lucho305 repped this.
  14. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Can they make it? Sure. Will they? That looks trickier.

Right now Miami is 8 points out of first for the Fall season, although they do have 2 games in hand on the Cosmos. The problem is that that they are also 5 points behind Edmonton who is even on games. Overtaking both of those teams will quite a challenge. And that is assuming that Indy or Minnesota don't get back on their earlier pace.

As far as getting into the playoffs as a #3 or 4 seed they are even farther behind.

Overall standings:
    1. Cosmos 23 g.p. 45 points
    2. Edmonton 21 g.p. 41 points
    3. Indy 23 g.p. 39 points
    4. MNU 23 g.p. 36 points
    ------------------------------
    5. Miami 21 g.p. 26 points

Indy has clinched a spot so it doesn't do any good to catch them. Minnesota is 10 points ahead. They are averaging about 1.5 PPG in the Fall season. If they keep that up, they would have 49 or 50 points. Miami would have to average 2 PPG the rest of the way to get to that point. That probably means winning 7 or 8 of the last 11 games. Possible but pretty unlikely.

And all of that would get them a road game in the first round of the playoffs at NY, Edmonton, or Indy before they could get to the Soccer Bowl.

brentgoulet repped this.
  15. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Miami totally sucked during the Apertura Season, this is now hurting them

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Miami has been on a bit of a tear lately. At least until Saturday. And Minnesota hasn't done much. So maybe they do have a decent chance of making the playoffs. Actually there is now a group within 4 points of the last spot.

New overall standings:

1. Cosmos 25 g.p. 49 points
    2. Edmonton 24 g.p. 43 points
    3. Indy 25 g.p. 42 points
    4. MNU 25 g.p. 36 points
    ------------------------------
    5. Miami 24 g.p. 32 points
    6. Tampa 24 g.p. 32 points
    7. Ft. Lauderdale 24 g.p. 32 points

Minnesota has only won one game in their last 5 but they are still on a 1 PPG pace. If they stay at that rate that would put them at 43 points. The teams at 32 would have to earn 11 points in the last 8 games to get to that number. That would be 3 or 4 wins which is certainly possible. We'll see if Minnesota can turn things around.

Miami also now has a better shot of catching NY for the Fall title. They have narrowed the gap to six points but have used one of their games in hand. And Miami is now only 1 point behind Edmonton so they are less of a worry.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    brentgoulet repped this.
  18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://midfieldpress.com/2016/11/21...n-relegation-would-be-positive-for-us-soccer/

In a report commissioned by Silva International Investments, Deloitte, one of the “Big Four” accounting firms, suggests that the net economic impact of introducing promotion and relegation to the United States club soccer pyramid would likely be positive. Silva International Investments is an owner in the North American Soccer League club Miami FC.
    The summary of the report, attached for download below, suggests that the present model in US club soccer is not keeping up with the increase of the overall popularity of the sport in the United States. Despite the rapid pace of expansion across Major League Soccer, the North American Soccer League and the United Soccer League, the report suggests that “club soccer in the USA has yet to fully tap into the sport’s popularity.”

brentgoulet repped this.
  19. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the whole "where are you from" thing is a cultural thing around town. when people ask, what they really mean is "whats your background". has nothing to do with home town pride or national pride or any identity crisis. also, its only natural first generation americans are closely identified with their parents country of origin. however, anytime im with native Miamians then yea, we make fun of each others neighborhoods and claim how ours is better.

I do agree from a soccer standpoint we dont have a particular identity. its fractured. but eventully well have a unifying theme and identity. like the Dolphins and Heat.

brentgoulet and Lucho305 repped this.
  20. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What will happen to us Now? Will USL have pro rel or atleasr USL 1 and USL 2? It already has 31 teams...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the rumors and reports, it looks like Miami FC is at least not fighting the USL. So there's a good chance that they will simply move to the USL.

Sporting Real repped this.
  22. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That likely won't be in the cards for at least a few years. They are building up the "regional" type model to lower costs as much as possible to make things as low risk as possible. If they were to get up past 40 teams it may happen ... but it may not.

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if the news of actual pressure on Beckham from MLS on Miami might be in some small way associated with Miami FC's request to probably join the USL.

Lucho305 repped this.