Miami FC NASL Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by dmont, May 20, 2015.

1. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A player that can crack an MLS starting XI especially when other players in his spots were injured most of the year.

Poku is very exciting and will hopefully sell tickets. Unfortunately his actual soccer skills are far too limited for MLS and he can't seem to play effectively for more than 30 minutes.

The One X repped this.
  2. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Third eye-opening transfer fee in the space of six weeks. Also, with the $300k-$350k salary estimate, and given the ticket price range (minimum is $3 per game youth season tickets, maximum is $20 single game tickets), it's quite likely that Poku's transfer fee and salary will exceed Miami FC's total ticket revenue for the season. Richie Ryan's too. So that means they're spending more than double their total ticket revenue on just two players.

3. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    What a sinkhole for money this must be

SoccerPrime and Prosoccercdn repped this.
  4. bnyc

bnyc Member

Jan 20, 2015
    New York
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    When this franchise and the owners were announced I had no doubt that this is the kind of spending that would follow; that they waited this long only shows how they completely misundercalculated the competition.

They also missed on the market. Imagine instead of Miami they chose Cincinnati, they had those crowds and revenue, just how much they would spend then? Pure genius.

I wonder, after a few years of this, will they fold or move the team? Is New Orleans glamorous enough?

5. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Riyad Mahrez.

DanGerman repped this.
  6. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to remember that these owners are Italian and Cincinnati is probably a huge unknown to them so for them to investment there was never going to happen.

brentgoulet repped this.
  7. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Italians living in Miami

8. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the whole thing is some convoluted money laundering scheme.

PhillyWild and Duke Kickass repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Historically, quite a few Italians live in Ohio...
    Per wiki.....

upload_2016-6-27_9-10-32.png

10. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not surprised by that but this is all hindsight being 20/20. Cincy has been something of a revelation similar to Jacksonville last year, there was no way anyone could have seen this level of support for a soccer team.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes I agree. I don't think anyone ever saw it coming. They are drawing MLS numbers! :thumbsup:

12. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Of course if they are giving away free tickets in large numbers like some teams do, this won't be as significant as it seems.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    MLS pads their tickets sales and attendance numbers too.

14. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'm not arguing that. As a matter of fact DC United which had turned somewhat away from free ticket distribution has turned back towards it.

In the end it doesn't matter all that much. I'm sure anyone with any resposibility for expansion for any of the leagues gets the true detailed breakdown on tickets distributed, the same with potential owners.

15. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    I wouldn't count on it. Cincy is just like Indy or Sacramento just without the limited seating. Neither of those two were giving away tickets.

16. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You know this? I remember when Puerto Rico Islanders were getting decent attendace an a few years later everyone seemed surprised to find out that they were giving away many tickets.

PhillyWild and Prosoccercdn repped this.
  17. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The Miami FC does have a good deal concessions wise as they get all proceeds from that for food and the $8 beers etc. They also get parking proceeds. For them they can charge cheap ticket prices and get money back on the other items fans will buy but if they only pull in 1800 like the last game its far from enough.

They've only had 5 games at FIU and the second was a washout with the poor weather and 1 hour 40 minute delay on that Friday but they lost any momentum they had from the 10K opener. Its Miami after all, if they can average at least 3K over the fall season that would probably be alright but they likely won't.

brentgoulet and The One X repped this.
  18. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in Sacramento, so I'm pretty sure tickets aren't being given away here. Ticket prices have gone up every year, and are already at MLS levels. The ticket prices go even higher for the playoffs, to almost double the normal prices; in 2015 the highest average ticket price for any domestic club match played in the United States was for Sacramento Republic's home playoff match against Galaxy II. I don't think they'd be raising ticket prices that high if they were still giving away tickets. (Also, I keep my eyes open. I've never even seen discounted tickets available since about the first month that the club existed.)

Finally, when there was a non-sellout on a Wednesday night earlier this month (still sold something like 95% of capacity), there were a lot of posts on social media from people saying that they would have bought tickets if they'd realized tickets were available. A lot of my friends gave up on trying to get tickets by midway through the 2015 season, because the games were always sold out by the time they got around to checking on ticket availability.

Duke Kickass repped this.
  19. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There is always the small probability that this is a "laundering" or "tax scheme" operation. Even Beckham's Miami project has had some "unsavory" people. It is Miami.

20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    would be a pretty good pickup:

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/nycfc2.php?article_id=45054

midfielder Kwadwo Poku. He was not at NYCFC practice Tuesday morning, strong signs that the reported deal with Miami FC was imminent. City head coach Patrick Vieira confirmed after practice Poku was not at training due to the negotiations between the clubs.

21. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Its Official!
    [​IMG]

Lucho305 and brentgoulet repped this.
  22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator