Miami fc home stadium

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by ckh1, Feb 9, 2010.

1. ckh1

ckh1 New Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Dubai
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    where should MIAMI FC play there 2010 home games?
    FIU, Tropical park, Lockhardt Stadium or other(please list your other option)

2. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted "other", and my choice would be the Central Broward Regional Park Cricket Stadium, where the MLS combine was held this year. 5,000 covered seats, real grass, no HS/College football lines, good location and it's practically brand new.

The round cricket seating configuration certainly isn't ideal, but it's better than Tropical Park for sure. FIU and Lockhart have it beat in terms of sightlines but when your getting 2-3K fans on a good night in those 20K venues it looks and feels like 50 people are there. The atmosphere would be better by leaps and bounds at the cricket stadium. And portable bleachers on the opposite touchline would make for better views for the hardcore soccer fans.

[​IMG]

3. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is this located by the way?

4. ckh1

ckh1 New Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Dubai
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I totally agree. The cricket field is ideal.
    I threw down a soccer field on the cricket stadium
    it was smaller than 120mx90m but still bigger than a football field easily.
    looked really good. I wish i could post the pdf.
    lockhardt will have to do. I hate turf!

5. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Sunrise Blvd., next to the Swap Shop, in between the Turnpike and I-95. Pretty much right in the exact center of the tri-county region.

6. ckh1

ckh1 New Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Dubai
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    can you get exact measurements on the cricket (grass area) field and the exact dimensions of the football pitch you put in?
    If I measured correctly... I think the cricket grass area is 400 ft across.
    I got a 113mx85m (370ftx278ft) field fit nicely into it. I am pretty sure the minimum FIFA regulation is 90mx45m or 295ftx148ft.
    Then again I wasn't using AutoCADD or GIS, just a measly Art/photo editor(Inkscape).

I like your design! looks great!

7. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why thank you :D

I'm not sure the exact dimensions, I just kinda fudged my mock up. I traced the cricket field and then one of the neighboring soccer fields and put them on top of each other.

According to Google Earth, the soccer pitch laid out at Lockhart measures 350ft x 225ft, and the cricket field is 500ft across at the center. It's a little over 300ft wide between the two innermost light posts(closest to the press box), so the field can be squeezed in close to those(it was something like that at the MLS Combine).

If it's good enough for the MLS Combine and exhibitions, it ought to be good enough for MFC.

EDIT:

Here's a more photorealistic version:

[​IMG]

The furthest part of the grandstand from the field is the press/luxury box/locker room structure in the center. Any of the covered seats would be pretty good, only a handful have views obstructed by light posts.

8. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Schulz Academy PDL team got dibs on the cricket gounds:
    http://www.uslsoccer.com/teams/2010/16200461.html#STADIUM

Miami FC would need to work around Schulz Academy's schedule for any conflicting match days.

9. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001
    other.... Lockhart Stadium :)

10. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see why that would be an issue. If they were smart any days where they both played they'd just do a doubleheader.

11. ckh1

ckh1 New Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Dubai
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Very good idea!
    but come on dr... we both know they aren't that smart. I mean, they can barely run a team! as Bill Murray said in the movie Stripes "baby steps...baby steps"
    LOL

12. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't the cricket stadium in Ft. Lauderdale? I thought fans wanted the Blues to play in Miami?

13. ckh1

ckh1 New Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Dubai
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    some want a more "personal" stadium to play in where the atmosphere is better. FIU is huge and with only a few hundred REAL MIAMI FC fans in it makes it feel empty, bad feeling.
    Seems like there are more FANS in FT LAUDERDALE then Miami. And the Miami fans prefer Lockhardt.
    All the babies that are crying for FIU on the MIAMIFC webpage better put up or shut up! LOL ;) (ooh them is fightin' words!) LOL

I think the Cricket stadium would also be ideal
    or i could settle for Lockhardt.

14. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I think the cricket ground would be ideal. Doesn't look like there would be a bad seat in the house.

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah the Cricket Stadium looks nice, but I figure it would be too much work for Traffic to get it for MFC, so I am going to say they won't go there and just stick with Lockhart.

16. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably the most likely venue for this year. With the grass pitch, the good sightlines and of course the history you can't really complain about Lockhart. The only real problem is the large capacity, but at least the stands where the fans sit are opposite the cameras so it looks like at least some people are there on the webcasts. At FIU and Tropical the fans were on the same side as the cameras so it looked like no one was there at all, which made crowds look even more embarrassing than they actually were.

17. ckh1

ckh1 New Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Dubai
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    At Lockhardt, sell the empty sections/ seats for advertisments. Drape covers that have sponsors printed on them, over sections of the upper levels. Lockhardt is 18,500 capacity. There wil never be that many football fans in Miami...yet. So Cover about 16,000 seats with big canvas covers with sponsors on it, leaving the seats closest to the pitch open. If more than 2,500 fans show up, remove the covered sections as needed. It will still be a "big empty space" but I think it would look better tham empty seats. Plus it could be potential income for Miami FC/ Traffic and also Lockhardt Stadium.

18. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a terrible idea. The Marlins used to tarp off the outfield sections of the upper deck to make Joe Robbie Stadium feel more "intimate". And it did work to some extent. It would certainly be better than looking at empty seats at MFC games. MFC have a large banner with the mascot, Hotshot, on it, and a large MFC shirt shaped banner they've used the last few years.

The key is whether or not they can sell corporate sponsorships to put on those tarps. They have had some in the past, mainly featured on the ad boards on the field. But it will be tough to bring in more money for large ads like that with a mediocre at best team, slim fan support and an aging, semi-run down stadium.

19. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I checked the home dates on both schedules. If Schulz & the Blues play a home game on the same week end usually one plays on Saturday, the other on Sunday. Never do they both play a game on the same date. I could not find any conflict, including Open Cup or playoffs.

I can't see a conflict problem with them both using the Cricket Grounds in Central Broward, unless, of course, Schulz has other teams that will also play there and we've not seen their schedule....:)

chk1: FYI...it is Lockhart Stadium, not Lockhardt Stadium.

20. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    The Tampa Bay Rowdies website announces the Rowdies at Miami FC game on may 1st at Lockhart stadium in Fort Lauderdale

Do these guys know more than we do?

21. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they probably do. Traffic is not only parsimonious with $$$ but with information, too.

Good catch & thanks for passing it on. It's a beguiling hint...;)... Now we'll see what news is passed to us by those folks that know.

ETA: At least the MFC site has a home game against TB listed on that day in the schedule in the "News" section, but still no venue listed. Neither site has a time listed.

22. indy soccer fan

indy soccer fan New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    FC Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an outsider looking in I was going to with Lockhart having been a Strikers fan in the 80's and getting to see a couple of games there as a kid, but I like the layout of the Cricket Stadium. Looks like a great and more intimate setting. What is the seating capasity for this stadium?

23. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Broward_Regional_Park

24. ckh1

ckh1 New Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Dubai
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I have said almost all I want and can the last few months...
    I am sure many of you are happy for my extended break I am taking from this and all the sights related to Miami FC. :)
    I will try not to comment at all until after the first home game of the season.
    VAMOS MIAMI FC!

25. zhe fulano

zhe fulano Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 31, 2010
    Florida Keys, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My vote is for FIU. It is readily accessible off of the turnpike. The stadium has plenty of capacity to support increasing attendance. It also seems to me that the large Hispanic population in Greater Miami will support a home team that truly plays at home. FIU fits that bill.

I wonder if it is feasible to have games at each location during the season so the team can get a feel for where there strongest fan base lies.