Rumor: MEXICO out of the playoff due to ineligible player? [update: nope, they're fine]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Granitza78, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Granitza78

Granitza78 Member

Aug 13, 2003
    So. Fla
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ..........one time switch

3. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
  4. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    He would be inelgible for a one-time switch if he was not a Mexican citizen when he represented Argentina in an official youth competition. That said, if FIFA approved his one-time switch anyway, then I fail to see how Mexico could be penalized for using him.

Unak78 and Guinho repped this.
  5. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I thought I understood the one time switch rule, but now I'm confused.

He represented Argentina in an official youth competition. My understanding was that this would not only provisionally cap tie him, but that he would only be able to switch for nations that he had citizenship for at that moment. Which didn't include Mexico. Am I mistaken?

COMtnGuy repped this.
  6. BMxJoga

BMxJoga Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I don't think it was an official tournament or game so Mexico should be alright.

7. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If FIFA approved his one time switch, and Mexico gets away with this, then this sets a pretty dangerous precedent. I don't like where this thread is going. Either Mexico are knocked out, or FIFA just opened the floodgates on mercenary football.

8. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Says you. The FIFA U-20 finals is pretty f'in official.

keller4president repped this.
  9. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Not a chance this is a real thing. Although it would fit right in with the FMF's sudden incompetence in 2013.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  10. canchon

canchon Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding:
    1. Chaco represented Argentina in an official FIFA youth competition. This provisionally cap-ties him to Argentina.
    2. Once you are provisionally cap-tied, you can only file a one-time switch to a country which you were eligible at the time you were provisionally cap-tied. I.e. Chaco had to have Mexican citizenship when he was cap-tied to Argentina.
    3. Chaco didn't have Mexican citizenship - so he was ineligible for a one-time switch.

My bet is that Mexico cries that it was FIFA who effed up in approving his one-time switch and it's FIFA's fault, and Mexico is not penalized, but Chaco can't play any longer for Mexico. wink, wink.

But yeah, someone in Panama read the rules and looked into Chaco's citizenship. Panama's got a legitimate beef.

11. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
  12. BMxJoga

BMxJoga Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Not saying it isnt, but before you make snide comments check if he was in either world cup. He wasnt in the squads for the 2001 or 1999 U20 World Cups, unless he played in the qualifying tournaments then he should still be eligible for Mexico....

13. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
  14. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    Nothing to see here. Move along...

15. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Editor in Chimp is correct, it was a COMNEBOL tournament, not the U-20 in 2001. Basically, it's up to FIFA to say if that tournament is cap-tying.

I remember once the USA refused to play Diego Gutierrez for playing in similar circumstances. This is, of course, before the one-time switch rule.

That said, he DID represent Argentina when he couldn't represent Mexico. Panama will take this as far as they can.

16. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    If these weren't qualifiers, I agree.

17. BMxJoga

BMxJoga Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I misread the article then. This also means that I don't understand these cap-tying games fully, I thought a regionally sanctioned event was provisionally cap-tying.

18. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    Costa Rica (for some unknown reason) is now getting in on the act with an impassioned plea claiming it was snowing during the purportedly cap-tying game, rendering the game unofficial and, therefore, not cap-tying.

19. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it depends on what the definition of "official competition" is. I would think a continental youth championship is an official competition, especially since it acts as qualifiers for the U20 World Cup.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  20. BMxJoga

BMxJoga Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Yeah that's what I meant by qualifying tournament. It's only a matter of semantics because I thought you meant the actual FIFA U20 World Cup since you put finals. :whistling:

21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yeah, this case is interesting. So he apparently played in the Southamerican u-20 championships which should be an official cap-tying youth tournament. But there's a twist.......wait for it..........The U-20 world cup was in Argentina so that country was already qualified. So were these official games for Argentina? That's up to FIFA and I find it hard to believe that they would have approved this without taking those games into account.

Sandon Mibut, ImaPuppy, ceezmad and 4 others repped this.
  22. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually, regionally sanctioned events are provisionally cap-tying. The real issue here is that Gimenez was not eligible for Mexico when he kitted up for Argentina.

Either way, I hate the outcome of this. Like I said, either Mexico gets knocked out (bad), or a team like Qatar has a greenlight to build a mercenary team (Worse).

jackiesdad and raza_rebel repped this.
  23. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I don't disagree, but I think that the fact that it was a COMNEBOL qualifier for the U20 tournament gives FIFA a fig leaf with which to cover themselves. They aren't going to DQ Mexico unless there's specific precedent for this sort of thing that Panama can point to.

ETA: The fact that Argentina was the host may also mean they weren't "real" qualifiers. Unless the games went towards qualification for their opponents. The whole thing sounds like a muddled cluster.

24. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    If it makes you feel any better, I have no illusions about Qatar being able to build a mercenary team one way or another. It's going to happen.

25. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, my bad bro. Basically, a similar situation occured for us Yanks, with both Diego Gutierrez. But in most cases I know of (Like the Arturo Alvarez case), the player was eligible to play for both countries when the one-time switch was filed. The fact that Gimenez was not eligible for Mexico at the time throws a monkey wrench in the works.