Mexico Domestic Cup

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by JonaMex19, Apr 5, 2011.

1. JonaMex19

JonaMex19 Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Do You Think That Mexico Should Have A Domestic Cup Like The Copa Del Rey And Fa Cup?

2. chiva_freak

chiva_freak Member

May 13, 2010
    Santa Ana, Califas
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    They had one it was called Copa Mexico and was discontinued in the late 90's it combined both amateur and professional teams....i would love for it to come around again. they had a lot of issues with the tournament thought including scheduling funding etc. it would be great to have though.

3. Hdez.Marcos

Hdez.Marcos Member+

Apr 7, 2010
    Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I would be against it unless the entire league was to be reformatted, and we all know that's not gonna happen until 12/21/2012...

4. Azul88

Azul88 Member+

Jun 1, 2010
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It would be sweet if it included the liga de ascenso teams, imagine Leon vs Cruz Azul, Xolos vs America, Irapuato vs Chivas :eek:

5. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    Every so often there is a new thread like this.

My current thinking is that we should either have it start with 32 teams (top flight plus best of 1A), or that it should include down to segunda, but that top flight teams don't enter until R32. The key for the top teams is fixture congestion. I wouldn't even worry about stadium costs. Let each team figure out whether it's worth it to open up the stadium (or play on training grounds). I'm sure you could find some fledgling sports channel to pay some tv rights for the final rounds.

Watching someone like Gallardo jump from Chivas segunda, to the main team, to the Mexico U22/U23 within half a season makes me curious who else we are missing in Segunda.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playoffs take away from a Cup competition, I would think the reason it went away was because people were more interested in liguilla than in the Copa.

In my opinion the reason it works in Europe/Brazil is because they do not have playoffs.

So Long season and not playoffs is needed (IMO) for a successful cup competition, I do not think this will happen.

I would love to see Veracruz in a competition like that. (Maybe with a 5th CCL spot for the winner).

7. pandilla

pandilla Member

Apr 7, 2011
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    we use 2 have one back in the day, with teams from 2da divicion (know liga d Acenso) I think Itll would be a good torunamet for those young people and also for thos eplayers who are not seen to much activity in regular season let put for example Mty they can combine young players and let them learn from cabrito or lucho perez...

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so 7 groups of 4 teams, with the winners going to the playoff round, is the best 2nd also making the next round?

Or am I missing a group?

if wiki is right, then my red sharks got lucky since they get America in their group, hopefully they sell out the stadium for that game.