Mexico and playing at Azteca-helps or hurts in the long run?

Tema en 'Mexico National Team' iniciado por Bruce S, 20 Jun 2004.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

10 Sep 1999
    I am a Yank fan, but wanted to ask a serious question-hope you don't mind.I wonder if Mexico's tremendous home-field advantage works for or against them? Obviously, it helps them qualify for the WC, but I believe that it also causes them to play in a way that hurts them a bit in the long run.They can win at Azteca by maintaining possession and running opponents all over the field. I think playing at Azteca causes the coach to slightly favor possession guys over more power-oriented players. Just a thought but I am interested in your opinions about this. This comes to mind, as we have the opposite issue in the USA- we get only a smal home-field advantage, but I think it may help us in the big picture-Bruce

2. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

7 Ene 2001
    Your arguement does not hold much water. If anything, we need to to stop playing in the US. We need to stop playing against the US, El Salvador, etc. We have nothing to gain and are helping them out more than we are helping ourselves.

Carson, CA, USA
    Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas, MEX
    Carson, CA, USA
    Dallas, TX, USA
    San Antonio, TX, USA

Los Angeles, Cal., EUA
    Phoenix, Ari., EUA
    Dallas, Tx., EUA
    San Diego, Cal., EUA
    Guadalajara, Jal., Méx. - Brazil
    Houston, Tx., EUA
    Carson, Cal., EUA
    Mexico City, MEX - Gold Cup
    Mexico City, MEX
    - Gold Cup
    Jersey, N.J., EUA
    Chicago, Ill., EUA
    San Francisco, Cal., EUA

Pasadena, CA
    Pasadena, CA
    Pasadena, CA
    Phoenix, AZ
    San Diego , CA
    Denver, CO
    New York, NY
    Mexico City, MEX - Colombia
    San Francisco, CA
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mikuni, ******
    Niigata, ******
    Miyagi, ******
    Oita, ******
    Jeonju, S. Korea

3. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

10 Sep 1999
    yes, but when it really counts, you always play in Azteca.

4. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

21 Ago 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    When it really counts? The WCQ's, yes.

The WC itself? Last time was in 86.

I know, I know. :) Anyway, I've got a question for Bruce, rdl, VS, Leva, Amepunk, Impalido and the non-Mex hating crew.

Would a full strength France be able to topple us in Azteca "when it really counted?" Honestly, I highly doubt it.

Room for discussion?

5. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

9 Jun 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How old is the Azteca? I think it only has maybe 10 years left until like a fire or earthquake destroy it or damage it pretty badly. Are there any curent plans to build a new Azteca with the same dimensions and stuff just with better seats, facilities, and better materials?

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

10 Sep 1999
    that is an interesting question. I have no doubt that it would be a difficult game for France. But this is just my point, in a way.El-Tri have such a huge advantage at Azteca that I wonder if it affects that team in a number of ways,including some negative ways.

7. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

9 Jun 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A team could become too depenant on playing at home and produce bad results at away games causing around a .500 record.

8. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

7 Ene 2001
    opened in 1966

I dont want a new Azteca...

the stadium is remodeled every year.... no player has ever complained with respects to its usefulness... as a fan... is it comfortable as hell..

It withstood the 85 earthquake and countless other trembles. THe only damage it had during the massive 85 earthquake..was the audio equipment...

based on ENron and Reliant seating.... the seats in Azteca are more comfortable.....

9. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

7 Ene 2001
    We do not play in Azteca enough to depend on it anymore.

Thats what you guys are not understanding.

Last time we played there was during the 2003 Gold Cup. And its not like we have never won the Gold Cup on US soil?

Honestly... would have the US won the Gold Cup in Mexico?

10. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

9 Jun 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

THX. just wondering and that is crazy that the only thng damaged was the audio during the earthquake, must be some great engineerinf.

11. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

10 Sep 1999
    no, but you are totally missing my point.Please listen.I did not post this to say that the US was better than Mexico.My point is that Mexico has one of the great home-field advantages in the world.That is excellent in qualifying.But I wonder if the team would be better off, in the long run, if they had to win the big games( WCQ,when the pressure is on) without such a huge advantage.Furthermore, would they pick different players? If you play in Azteca, you want smaller players, with great endurence and great possession play.If one plays in a smaller stadium at sea-level, then one might want more powerful players,maybe bigger players.

12. Well, the Mexican League isn't based only on Mexico City.

13. Well, the Mexican League isn't based only on Mexico City.

14. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

20 Feb 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Another thing is does Mexico really produce that many bigger players? That don't get pickd for the national team because according to Bruce, they like smaller players

15. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

20 Feb 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well that is one, Bruce makes it sound like bigger players don't get a chance with El Tri because of Azteca.

16. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

7 Ene 2001
    Bruce,

i think you are looking way too much into it.

anyhow, the FMF wants to play more games aoutside of Mexico City for 2 reasons... commercialize the Mexican NT, not saturate the market.

Tuxtla, Veracruz, Puebla, Morelia, Guadalajara, have all seen games the past 2 years.

But, the Mexican NT does not play in Mexico City that much.

17. Tecos

Tecos Member+

8 Abr 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If mexico bombed out in the first round of every world cup that they played in and had more trouble than any other team does when playing qualifying games on the road, then maybe this would be true. But this is not the case... past performances in many tournaments (last copa america etc etc) and world cups show that this is not the case.

18. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

7 Ene 2001
    I agree.

At the U-20, U-23, and Senior National team levels, I do not recall the Mexican teams getting thier asses handed to them because of physical superiority. On the contrary, they dont get pushed off the ball which allows them to keep possesion. (thats is why I think Bruce is looking too much into it)

Couple years back, some German youth teams came to Mexico City to play against Cruz Azul youth squads. Hermosillo was the host and Klinnsman cam along to visit his friend (Hermosillo). Klinsman said that in retrospect, they were lucky to beat Mexico in France 98.

I would say that 80% of Mexico's footbol players come from poverty (or borderline) and that at the youth levels (U-10,U-12) the malnutrition may be a factor, but come 15 or so... they are professional and have supplements, diets, and modern facilities to work with.

19. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

1 Mar 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    What Mexico needs is to play more games in Europe. There have been quite a few players that just suck balls once playing in the old continent. Anyone remember Jan Pablo Rodriguez in the match against England ? I know he blows with the Nat team but in that game he straight out looked lost. Same with Vidrio and Ochoa who couldnt hack it at Osasuna. Then theres the whole Mexies cant make in Europe theory.

20. Levante

Levante Member+

28 Jul 2001
    Mexico is susceptible to the type of game that England, Sweden, Norway play. I would love to see them play these type of countries more.

Otherwise, I agree... Mexico plays way to many games in the U.S.

21. El Cabrito

El Cabrito Member

22 Dic 2002
    Ca
    Based on WC performances and other international turnaments there does not appear to be a huge disadvantage as Mexico does a respectable job...

I think if the argument was to work it would have to be that Mexico should stop playing in North America so much... I would be very much in favor of Mexico splitting their games between games played in North America and real away games. I would also like us to stop playing teams like Bolivia, El Salvador and to a certain extent Costa Rica...

22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

10 Sep 1999
    though to be fair, the US is usually the less physical team against those guys too. Arena has learned to put out a VERY physical line-up when playing the big Euro teams. We beat Poland in Poland with a tough physical team. We have this young striker playing in Germany, Conor Casey, who is a real big tough guy. He gave the Poles a huge taste of their own medicine.

23. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

10 Sep 1999
    Mexico does a very respectable job. I thought I was pretty clear that I was not slagging El-Tri.But if I was the coach, I would definitely emphasize more athletic and more direct players. More powerful players.Obviously not at the total expense of skill, but El-Tri could use, in my opinion, an influx of power and athleticism.

24. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

20 Feb 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Wasn't he the guy that ran over Oswaldo? :(

Compartir esta página