Mexico: America’s World Cup Hope [MLS Media]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by neems, Jun 10, 2018.

1. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I’m speechless. He’s the victim now.

Love this tweet tho

2. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't agree with Wynalda (not sure I ever have). Too simplistic to say he's entitled. What is he being entitled about here? Just think he's naive and conflating politics with soccer, which is what many people have done in this very thread.

Marko72 repped this.
  3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I think the previous comment helps the context and that Wynalda didnt choose his words as wisely as he could have. I agree with the over all sentiment but the part about the league is a bit vague and potentially out of date... I'm sure that is where MLS fans would focus but think some specific clarifications could clear it up.

“I’m going to try and choose my words wisely here,” Wynalda said. “I think one of the biggest problems that our country has, and if we’re really being honest, one of the reasons why we’re sitting this World Cup out is because we have had an entitled approach toward the game. Our league has kind of fallen off competitively and the reality is Landon Donovan personifies the problem.

4. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    I think you might be stuck in the early 2000's.

You would be hard pressed to find any evidence to back up this claim with the current generation of Mexico players that dates back roughly more than a decade. These guys....Guardado, Hernandez, Vela, Gio, Moreno, etc....they've never been disrespectful towards the US National team much like Jozy and Bradley and co have never really expressed the kind of venom we saw from Lalas, Harkes, Wynalda or even Howard.

If anything, there is a very real level of respect from both teams towards the other. Part of that may be that Mexico has largely won a majority of official games between the two teams during this decade but I think it has more to do with players coming into these National Teams with an established respect and admiration for the rival.

I think if we're being honest, there has been more "ardido" from US fans and one or two players towards Mexico than the other way around. BSMX not withstanding.

Frankly, I'm surprised you took the bait on those comments. I think it's incredibly arrogant on his part to speak for Mexicans or towards Mexican-Americans with such authority but it's not a conversation worth having....at least not under those circumstances.

5. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Ya, Lalas has been a clown since he hung up his boots. Anyone who takes anything that Lexi says seriously is really wasting their time.

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    One of the reasons US media are pasty patsies is that they are scared of losing their job when an advertiser complains.

I thought LD"s Mejico campaign was a little insensitive. otoh, tbph, I was happy to see Concacaf beat the World #1 Germany which has been known to belittle what some of our players do in Gold Cup, e.g., as a way of doing BL business.

So take that you big bully. Go get em Mejico.

7. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Massively unprofessional

8. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's as if our soccer landscape is intent to embarrass the US in every way possible.

Landon: Hey America, you should root for Mex, our new team. And Boca, you're not Mexican enough.

Geiger: Hold my beer.

Master O, Burr and TOAzer repped this.
  9. nyqs81

nyqs81 Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Care to translate.

10. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was accused of asking for Ronaldo's jersey by a Moroccan player, Amrabat.

11. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    If Mexico finish first in the group, they would either get Brasil or Switzerland in the next round. Both teams have looked very beatable.

13. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And his mic was live the whole game and there’s no evidence he said anything of the sort.

Burr repped this.
  14. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting you assumed it was true...

Mantis Toboggan M.D. and majspike repped this.
  15. PassionOfTheFoot

Feb 12, 2002
    Incheon, South Korea
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Massively unprofessional.

16. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest, it's disgusting. Why does our media enjoy twisting the knife in the fanbase so much?

17. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    [​IMG]