Mexico: America’s World Cup Hope [MLS Media]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by neems, Jun 10, 2018.

1. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=White-'splaining
    Wow, a couple of clicks and you could have looked it up yourself. There is no yellow-splaining (wow, your use of that expression and red splaining is pretty much dripping with racism), or blacksplaining. Not that I'm aware of

2. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    But Landon Donovan gets to tell him how to be Mexican American. Lololol

3. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    In other words, you're free to propagate a pejorative term which defines "whites' as paternalistic and racist BUT should someone dare use a similar compound word to describe the attitudes of other ethnic groups, THEY'RE a racist? Wow, ain't that the sanctimonious pot calling the kettle black.! By the way, the examples of other ethnic "splaining" was NOT used in a declarative phrase but to point out the hypocritical double-standard so often lazily employed by the disseminators of your grievance politics.

JJV1994, sXeWesley, TxEx and 5 others repped this.
  4. Lukato

Lukato Member+

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    #155 Lukato, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    none of that makes him mexican, we aren't like you americans that think that ethnicity/race = nationality. Culturally mexican-americans are as different from us as you anglo-americans, that's why chicanos face so much rejection when they come here and deportees raised in the US tend to suffer culture shock.

To us both Gomez and Donovan are both foreigners but at least one of them is defending our people from the most idiotic side of your country while the others go by "but muh made up rivalry!!!!"

5. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    First, to my knowledge, no one in this thread has referred to Gomez or Boca as Mexican. They've been referred to as Mexican-American, and *only* because Donovan said that as Mexican-Americans they had a duty to "stand for something" and cheer for Mex.

So you're saying Jonathan Gonzalez is a pocho? That's pretty harsh. If you're going to say "you said pocho, I didn't" well .... I mean, dude, you're the one saying he's not Mexican.

Donovan is "defending your people"? Hyperbole much?

1) It's Mex players that won't exchange jerseys. Tell them about the made up rivalry.

2) You don't remember "Ardido"?

3) making fun of stereotyped speech patterns? Racist much?

sXeWesley, gunnerfan7 and Namdynamo repped this.
  6. Cynical US fan

United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talking about "Mexican-Americans," what happened to Jonathan Gonzalez? Thought he was going to the World Cup with the Mexicans. Isn't that why he made the switch?

7. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

He was not promised nor guarantee a WC roster spot. But he thought he had a good chance of making it.

Borrachin repped this.
  8. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    BS, you guys are the ones who care about ethnicity, not us. That's why you trash fans or players with Mexican heritage who root or play for the US, even if they were born and raised here. I didn't say Gomez was Mexican, he isn't, but given that both his parents are and that he spent several years living their as an adult your comment that he doesn't care about Mexican culture is almost certainly inaccurate. Likewise, Donovan basically calling Bocanegra a pocho is completely out of line.

9. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here let me just fix this whole discussion. Only white people can be racist.

There can we get back to soccer now.

JJV1994, TxEx and TOAzer repped this.
  10. Vindo310

Vindo310 Member+

Mar 19, 2009
    South Bay LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The arguing about white-splaining is stupid. Let’s not refer to each other on basis of color. The fact is Donovan obviously has some sort of political shit going on however dumb it is.

What LD doesn’t understand is that us Mexican-Americans are American above anything else. We don’t need to support another country based on our ethnic makeup.

I’m glad that Herc said something.

As a LA Galaxy fan, USMNT fan and someone who traveled to England to watch him play with Everton I am completely let down by LD. Grow a sack and stick with your guys.

He doesn’t realize that by trying to be non-racist he is actually being racist by saying hey you are American but a different kind so you should be supporting Mexico too. That’s like telling Cobi Jones he should support an African team. It’s way off base. We are all Americans and we support our team.

11. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd buy you a beer any day. Well said good sir!

12. Lukato

Lukato Member+

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    cool

He was, he has said that he felt american and always saw himself as a USMNT player in the future, he only changed his mind and embraced mexican culture when he moved down here and spend some years living here, then he decided to play for Mexico.

Since he got here he has been taking jabs at Trump supporters so yeah, he is defending mexicans which you have to admit is the real reason everyone is mad at him.

1.- Our team never exchanges jerseys in CONCACAF or practically anywhere.
    2.- who?
    3.- Which race are you talking about?

13. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    You're going to have to explain this to me, because you seem to be living in some kind of fantasy world. You refer to an Asian as "yellow" or a Native American as some conjugation of "red" and see what happens.

I've got a real simple question for you. Are you saying that referring to Asians as "yellow" is in any way acceptable?

I'm going to try to dumb this down for you. Just because red, and yellow, and white are colors, that does not mean that the use of those words as race descriptors is equally acceptable. Are you a KKK member or something? Next you're going to be defending the use of the N-word.

14. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    You're waffling. You said "Chicanos face so much rejection"

You need to bone up on your knowledge of U.S. demographics. Soccer fans skew heavily in the Anyone But Trump camp. To most U.S. soccer fans, Dono can talk about Trump all he wants. Actually, the people that are calling him out on this are the people who are most likely to support generous border policies and humane treatment of migrants.

That seems pretty douchey. Why not?
    playing dumb?

You tell me. Are you saying you just misspelled the word "my"? Why did you type "muh" instead of "my"?

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    He's a fan of mumble rap, maybe?

16. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, genius. Let's try it again. Just for you. Nice and slow. You see, you, Mr. Rallee Monkey, wrote: "Dude, you think that referring to Native Americans as red and Asians as yellow is similar to referring to whites as whites? ."

So MR, if he wasn't a racist thug, would have written: "Dude, you think that referring to Native Americans as red, and Asians as yellow, would be any different than referring to Caucasians as whites?"
    Then, had MT Genius done so, he would have been consistent with the statement from this post I'm replying to: "Just because red, and yellow, and white ar ecolors, that does not mean that the use of those words as race descriptors is equally acceptable".
    For then he would not have lost sight of the simple fact that just as there is no biological race called "red", nor "yellow", there is no biological race called "white".

BUT, Mr. RalleeMonkey did not do so. Instead he insisted that it was fine to label Caucasians by his idea that they are all "white". How do I know he does so? By his own words where he makes it clear he is comfortable " referring to whites as whites".
    So then I take his example, his words, and simply flip the roles to make it clear to him how openly racist he is being.... So then Genius starts blustering about the KKK and use of N-word and other drivel he is comfortable with.

So let's try this again, Genius MR. If you are ok with labeling Caucasians by what skin color you think they should have, or which you think identifies them, they you have lost all credibility as to criticizing those who do likewise for other races. You are not a racist? Prove it. Treat all races with the same respect, and leave your vicious double standard of racism to the Margaret Sangers and Roberty Byrds of this world.

Capisce?

17. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Landon does not. Neither does a random BSMX poster, which was the post that @Mantis Toboggan M.D. was referencing. Neither one has any control or authority over how "Mexican" or "Mexican-American" Hercules Gomez is.

...That's literally what this whole conversation is about. That people should stop the ignorant and/or racist practice of painting individuals with broad ethnic/racial brush strokes, then immediately assigning group attributes to them as individuals. In Landon's case, don't assume to know which team Hercules supports, or who he votes for, or what he believes in (or any number of other personal beliefs) simply because he is of Mexican descent.

18. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/06...ible-for-world-cup-seems-to-have-hit-new-low/

Wynalda just called LD an entitled little b*tch. Love to see these 2 do a rap battle.

“He’s an entitled kid who assumes that just because of the way his life has gone within the game as a player, that he deserves to have an opinion about everything. Every time he opens his mouth, it really isn’t something that makes sense....."

bsky22 repped this.
  19. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
  20. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear LD, nobody is listening to you.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  21. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    That's what I'm saying about Landon. It's ridiculous of him.

22. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
  23. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't mention what kind of "fan" did it. I couldn't imagine going to Russia as a US fan, then giving a crap what Lalas thinks...

RalleeMonkey repped this.