Mexico: America’s World Cup Hope [MLS Media]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by neems, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the reported posts - I will guest-moderate with this guy.

dark knight, smokarz, CTS26 and 3 others repped this.
  2. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Can we clean up the trash as well? I'd happily delete my posts quoting him.

3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It just took me awhile to go through all of them.

4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Hear, hear.

chad, CTS26 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  5. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the people who are passionate about the Mexico rivalry are being disrespectful. We, as soccer fans, have had the utmost respect for our sporting neighbors. It pains me to see the blatant murder happening to citizens and then watch our federal government only make things worse.

Burr and USSoccerNova repped this.
  6. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Looks like Mix Diskerud is on the Mexico train as well. I suspect he won't get the same backlash as Ol' Lando.

Marko72 repped this.
  7. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

He will. He used to wear the shirt.

8. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If they are all in with Mexico they are free to do whatever they want. It's when they want others to follow or support Mexico because they are "America's team" that is the problem. Specially from people who wore the US jersey. If that is the case then why even follow the USMNT? All dual nationals should just aim to join other National teams instead of the US because at the end you won't get support from people from here.

For people who support the USMNT that is a slap in the face. At least we know that Mexico comes first before the US for many including the people that worn the US Jersey.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  9. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a difference between complementing Mex, and telling America to root for them as our new team. And doing it because you received a paycheck.

10. Regi0

Regi0 Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    #135 Regi0, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    WOW, Ignorant comment coming from McAlllen Texas.

For the record, I supported the US against Brazil back in the '09 confederations. At this point, we're the only non South American/Euro team saving face. I understand being against Mexico...., but it's Germany c'mon. Even South Americans were rooting for us.

11. Regi0

Regi0 Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    ^^ Ok sorry, I retracted my statement.

dark knight repped this.
  12. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    Unless I'm missing something he tweeted that Mexico was playing well, which they were. That's not the same as rooting for them, let alone taking a fat paycheck to badger other Americans to do so and then take pot shots on Twitter at one of the best leaders to ever play for the US.

13. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Citing their beautiful game cred and telling them to "keep it up!" sure sounds like he's rooting for them. Plus he's done it before, rooting for them against New Zealand in the playoff for Brazil (while he was an active NT player). True, he didn't appear in an ad campaign like Donovan, but he's definitely viewed Mexico on very friendly terms throughout his career. Not that I care, mind you. Like I said, not all players buy into the idea of "rivalries" in the same way.

14. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Is Mix on ads telling people to root for Mex? I don't care who Landon cheers for or Mix, or Brian Dunseth, ffs. But, any of those douchebags tell me that I'm supposed to cheer for Mex? That's a joke. #BoycottWellsFargo

15. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    What do you think Sports Illustrated is "telling America" when they put ElTri on the cover of their WC issue? It's pretty simple, soccer "business" in the US has a very large and important hispanic component. That component's no.1 market is Americans of Mexican heritage. In case you hadn't noticed, there is nothing "new" about a huge fan base IN THE US who already consider El Tri their team.

16. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    They are not telling anyone who they have to cheer for, the No-nads, or otherwise. They are selling magazines. Every year SI makes some dumb ass prediction about who will win the college football national championship and puts a team on their cover. They don't say "you have to cheer for team x." That's what Landycakes is doing - and he's white-splaining it to Herc, Lololol!

17. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    This took an odd turn. Mexico played great today. Congratulations to them. But Landon needs to dip out for a while.

18. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which of COURSE has nada TO Do WitH LANDdon.

TALK about comparing AppLES TO orangoutangs.

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Congratulations to the El Tri supporters. That was Mexcellent.

20. Converted54

Converted54 Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">You and <a href="https://twitter.com/chuckschumer?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@chuckschumer</a> <a href="https://t.co/uXOrxrRb75">pic.twitter.com/uXOrxrRb75</a></p>&mdash; James Woods (@RealJamesWoods) <a href="
    ">June 18, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Former actor James Woods (voice of Hades in the animated Hercules movie) chimes in.

Woods has developed a large following on twitter for being an outspoken supporter of right-wing causes. His tweet doesn't necessarily refer to Donovan completely, but what I find interesting is the majority of people in the replies are aware of who Landon is and know the controversy surrounding him. This is something that I didn't expect to see from his audience.

Im not using this example to prove a political point or even try to argue whether Landon is right or wrong. I think that this tweet is an interesting revelation to myself in that there are more people than I thought who may have an opinion on the matter.

smokarz repped this.
  21. Lukato

Lukato Member+

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    just because Herculez has an hispanic sounding last name it doesn't mean he understands or even cares about understanding mexican culture, that guy is as mexican as Trump eating a Taco Bowl.

DGreat and Miguel Myers repped this.
  22. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    In the actual ad he's not telling anyone anything. He's inviting "anyone who needs a team" to root for Mexico. If you don't need a team, it doesn't apply to you. Ignore the ad for what it is: an 18 second ad, not all that different from Iceland's tourism board trying to drum up business by courting neutrals to root for their soccer team.

23. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Lol, your bigotry is showing. You're assuming that just because I support U.S. I make assumptions about anyone with a Hispanic last name. Bad on you.

You clearly don't know much about Herc. I'm surprised to see anyone defending Donovan's white-splaining to Herc and Boca that they need to "stand for something." His privilege is showing.

24. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes

25. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Would you care to tell me what "white-splaining" is and why I shouldn't be offended by its mindless caricature of ethnic stereotypes? While you're at it, you can explain to my Chinese friend what "yellow-splaining" means, my African friend what "black-splaining" means and my Native American friend what "red-splaining" means?

Best of all, you get the privilege of showing the true color of your character..

Lukato repped this.