Mexican Opportunities for Alex Mendoza?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Excerpts:

Even while flying back to York County after spending a month in his father's homeland -- on his 17th birthday -- Mendoza didn't know if he was going to stay in the U.S. or return to Mexico to continue pursuing a professional soccer career.

Though polishing off his senior year at Red Land High School and proceeding to college was the prudent option, Mendoza could not easily dismiss the allure of playing for eminent club Pumas, even if it meant beginning in the Mexican Third Division.

Six weeks ago, before a plane brought him home, this was the decision tugging at Mendoza. Fully intending to return to Mexico City when he touched down, the soft-spoken youngster instead opted to park his dream indefinitely.

Aware Jorge Mendoza was a national-level player at the University of Mexico, which operates Pumas, the youngster asked his uncle for help landing a tryout. Seems one of the elder Mendoza's former teammates is on the Pumas coaching staff.

Jorge Mendoza didn't disappoint, enlisting assistance from another former teammate who'd witnessed Alex's slick game at a 2006 camp run by Club America, another prominent Mexico City soccer entity. Between them, they worked their connections, politicking for an invitation.

Once Pumas dangled the chance, his parents (Carlos and Tracy) endured the obvious emotions ranging from excitement to trepidation. Since Alex would be staying with family, they gave the OK.

So, after a scheduled mid-July stop in Pittsburgh for Duquesne University's soccer camp, Mendoza left for Mexico City.

Pumas, though, wasn't keen about adding a non-Mexican citizen to its payroll.

But, because Mendoza's father was born in Mexico, dual citizenship was possible. Since he's a minor, the Mendoza family would have to visit one of the Mexican consulates in the U.S. to complete the needed paperwork. That would mean a trip home and another back.

Eventually, Mendoza's concerns surfaced and the uneasiness began to creep in. Even though he thrived during training and scrimmages, including a few efforts witnessed by his curious father, Pumas told him it wouldn't offer a contract until December at the earliest.

"Most of us have played together since we were little," said Mendoza, who is checking out an assortment of colleges. ​

Kudos to the publication for writing an impressively long feature on a high school player and team.

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    An update:

Torres and Mendoza will have a better idea of where they’re going to college after they compete in the Disney Tournament, a high school showcase event, over Christmas break.

If the showcase event doesn’t work out for Mendoza, he can always go to Mexico to play professionally.

“Two summers ago, my friends and I went to Mexico to visit my family,” Mendoza said. “And by the end of the trip, I had to make a choice between playing professional soccer or going back to high school. I think I made the best choice by finishing high school. If I would’ve tried to play pro soccer and got hurt, my life would be basically done. I’ve grown up with these kids and I just wanted to spend one last season with them.”​

Link:
    http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2008/01/06/sports/sports725.txt

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Thanks beineke for catching this. Looks like it worked out; this guy is now at Tigres. He's a 90. Listed with the federation as Alexander Brett Mendoza Knauss, born in Pa.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Whoops. I meant Pumas.

5. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will be trialing with the Union this pre-season.

6. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    Testudo repped this.
  8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    "How did Mendoza end up in Mexico in the first place? The dual United States and Mexican citizen said it was always something he wanted to do because his dad was from Mexico and he often vacationed there.
    “It was incredible the things I saw there,” he said. “In Mexico, I always loved to see how people treated the sport. Down there, there’s no other sport besides soccer.”
    Mendoza said the option to play in Mexico presented itself when one of the coaches on the Pumas reserve team offered him a tryout while he was still a teenager living in Central Pennsylvania.
    The Harrisburg City Islanders Academy product joined the Mexico City-based team in February of 2009 and, according to the Union, played for all levels of the club’s system over the past three years.
    “It was a lot to adjust to,” Mendoza said. “The biggest was the language because I didn’t know Spanish when I left. It was a great experience for me. I loved my time there but I think it was time for me to get back here to the States.”"
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/02/06/pumas-philly-prodigal-son-mendoza-almost-home

10. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999