Mexican Elections -- Too Close to Call

Discussion in 'Elections' started by MattR, Jul 3, 2006.

1. AMAPO

AMAPO Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Krypton City
    Club:
    Laredo Heat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vicente Fox said that before the elections but no one gave a shit. even if it were to happen most of the PRI's votes would go to PAN. it would just be a waste of time + it would hurt the economy as it is now with all the bs Obrador is doing. and besides it'd be unconstitutional to make that change now, after the elections.

2. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I like the idea of a single transferable vote.

3. Even further, the left ridiculized Fox for that, saying that it was a sign of desesperation because of the inminent left and hope victory.

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ok, scratch that idea. We'll just have to trust that the election commision is doing things right. But people will take advantage of the closeness of the election.

What sucks is that even if Calderon wins, this is the best case scenario for the Chavistas and assorted left wingers in Latin America. They will milk this supposed theft of the elections to manipulate the people. And even in the USA, I can see the leftist blogs working already. Leftist radio Air America today was already talking about fraud in Mexico. (It was unbelievable, I think it was Al Franken who was claiming that his mother has Mexican friends and they all told her that there was fraud in the election. I guess that makes it so.)

The closeness of the elections and the behavior of the leftist candidate may hurt Mexico, but it conveniently plays into certain people's hands.

5. AMAPO

AMAPO Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Krypton City
    Club:
    Laredo Heat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    man, Mexico doesn't care what goes on in Latin America. Chavez and his posse can criticize whatever they want. It still won't affect Mexico.

I'm not trying to be arrogant here it's a simple fact.

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I care about what happens in Latin America.

7. AMAPO

AMAPO Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Krypton City
    Club:
    Laredo Heat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you care what Chavez thinks about Argentina? if you do, then, do most Argentines care what Hugo Chavez thinks?

PS: I didn't mean Mexican don't care what happens in Latin America. What I meant is Mexicans do not care if Latin American Politicians talk crap about what's going on in Mexico. It's Mexican's own business.

8. AMAPO

AMAPO Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Krypton City
    Club:
    Laredo Heat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% counted

Calderon: 35.88%
    Obrador: 35.31%

9. AMAPO

AMAPO Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Krypton City
    Club:
    Laredo Heat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Damn!! That's like the US map!!

Absolute. Geographic. Division.

Wow.

I still think that Chavez needs to shut the *&^*&%$** up if he's really interested in the left prevailing in Latin America. He's making it so that all the right has to do is point to him and say, "See what my opponent will do!"

Pinche Chavez. :mad:

11. AMAPO

AMAPO Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Krypton City
    Club:
    Laredo Heat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Headlines:

Obrador does not recognize Calderon as Winner of the election.

Obrador tells his followers to protest! "to fight for the votes." :rolleyes:

12. AMAPO

AMAPO Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Krypton City
    Club:
    Laredo Heat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    What's the evidence for that? I haven't seen any polls showing results from an imaginary second round between AMLO and Calderon. But considering that:

- The PAN usually gets its strongest support from urban, higher income voters, and the typical PRI voter is poor
    - The PRI's loss of support since 2000 seemed to benefit AMLO a lot more than Calderon (compare the PRD vs. PAN results from the 2000 and 2006 elections)
    - The surveys I've seen show independent voters tending to lean toward AMLO over Calderon

...I'm not sure offhand why you'd expect PRI voters to support the PAN over the PRD. Are there opinion polls to back that up?

14. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    This geographic division surprises you? If there were a referendum to name the color of the sky, it would break down along north-south lines.

15. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's nice to see Mexico dressed up in the colors of Boca Juniors.

:D

16. The thing is that most of el PRI voters and politician already switched to el PRD. About the surveys, until relative recently MALO had more than 50% of approval, the things changed this year. If you have recent ones would be interesting, can you link some?

17. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Funny post.

18. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I'd say the total failure of the Washington Consensus economic policies that were imposed on many latin american countries helped the Left alot too.

19. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think Calderon said something about how he was sorry his "dissapointed" the Venezuelans.

20. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Of course. You can go beyond that and say that what has historically helped the left the most is the inherent inequality that comes with freedom and the perceived (and often real) unjusticies that are part of the nature of a capitalist system. It doesn't help that the system, particularly in Latin America, is manipulated by corruption at the top and in all layers of society.

But if the leftist alternative is going to be power hungry demagogues who want to use the cult of personality in order to impose their will, then this is even worse than the status quo. Countries already took that path in the 20th century, with disastrous results.

As we say in Latin America, 'Salimos de guatemala para meternos en guatepeor', meaning that we get out of a bad situation to embrace an even worse situation.

21. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like they are taking their time to come to a conclusion on this election.

22. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Mexican Court Rejects Election Fraud Challenges - New York Times

23. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    All of this is so typically Latin American.

A leftist demagogue, a politically divided country, fraud charges, a history of corruption... a second round or "ballotage" would've helped tons to avoid the current situation. What is AMLO ultimately attempting to get from this? It's pretty clear that authorities have confirmed Calderon's victory.

24. AMLO is the greatest threat to democracy that Mexico is facing. He's a fascist wanna-be-dictator that consider himself above the law because he and many of his followers believe he is the incarnation of the will of the people. He claims to have information (evidence, polls, statics, etc) that were never presented, information that contradicts himself, and information that would be impossible for him to have. He claims there was a mega fraud againts him on the past elections without any substancial evidence (if it exist, it have yet to be presented).

The only proof that was presented is:

He's La voluntad del pueblo (The will of the people), and el pueblo never lies or is wrong. Hence his defeat is not only impossible, but also immoral, which means that the votes for other candidates not only are wrongly counted, but shoudln't be counted at all since they are wrong in essence.

The Cartoon reads: "Im the truth, the way and the hope".

[​IMG]

And now he's now plotting to declare himself president...

25. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give it up Obrador, you lost. This guy makes Al Gore and friends look like gracious losers.