Measuring Success - The Arsenal (Emery) Barometer

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalJake, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So does Ederson, but that doesn't matter: the point is that a defense should be set and able to deal with that.

At least make the other team work for their chances.

2. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Has anyone that knows anything really said we have been doing well defensively at any point this season? I thought we were starting to get a little groove on with Holding, but Kola and Lichtsteiner have been a nightmare all season defensively. Kola has given a lot going forward so I guess that’s something.

I think Emery has tried to protect his defenders at some expense of attack. It hasn’t worked much largely due to individual errors—poor line, poor passing at the back, penalty giveaways, not marking runners, not clearing crosses, poor communication...the list is long. If this continues after a full season or two, then I’ll look at Emery, but for now I think he’s doing okay. Not much better or worse really, but different. We’ve conceded more than last year, but we’ve been without first choice players more than last year this time as well iirc.

3. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes. We started to look really good defensively post-Liverpool: use of three at the back meant that we weren't conceding nearly as many chances. Sure, it was only a 2-3 game sample, but the chances conceded, and the quality of chances conceded went way down. Then Holding and Bellerin got hurt and it all fell apart.

Part of this, I think, is due to Kolasinac: if he plays, it has to be as a wingback. He's adequate defensively as a wingback and offers a lot going forward. But he's a disaster as a left back in a back 4, because he doesn't have help and it ends up being foul and penalty city due to his lack of lateral quickness.

4. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Part of the issue is we don't have any proper winger like Sane so the fullbacks are asked to do a lot offensively.

I wonder if a hybrid formation would be better with one attacking fullback and one who helps control midfield more

5. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  6. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    You talking about the first chance he had? Ya that was a midfield issue xhaka and guen got it wrong. Two quick passes and they had space against our high line.

Besides our defending, what annoyed me was that one Defender is on two runners—sess and mitrovic. Mitrovic is clearly offside and the ball literally rolls in front of his feet. I just don’t get how that’s not offside. How is he not involved in the play? The defender had to choose one player to mark and doesn’t know which if either are offside.

69174168-2FF1-4B2C-8F4C-4A4704987DAC.jpeg

Shen-O repped this.
  7. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Was interesting yesterday how small Liverpool and City make the field

the overloads were insane

8. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Nothing in those that says we’ve been good defensively, just that Emery has more focus on defensive organization than AW did. Isn’t that true? Many were still critical of our defense and recognize the increase in chances conceded:

https://www.lovesportradio.com/news...i-emery-revealed-by-ex-gunner-stewart-robson/

https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/02/why-...l-be-ruthlessly-exposed-by-liverpool-8095214/

Defensively things are different if not better—yet. I’ve seen stretches where the CM seemed to help the fullbacks out a lot more than before. Until the last game or two, I’ve seen xhaka improve his defending by not just hanging a leg out like he used to. I’ve also seen many players have a better defensive body shape and sprinting to spaces instead of just toward a man. Clearly, though, Emery has priorities which are high risks/reward—play out from the back, keep a narrow/compact defense, keep the fullbacks extremely high up the pitch and keep a high line during possession. That’s his style and some individuals are still having issues with it. Lichtsteiner continuously plays people onside, Kola is completely unaware of his flank on the diagonal pass, Kos seemed clueless his first two games back as did mustafi. If we give the ball away deep without Sokratis and with bellarin high up the pitch we have zero recovery pace.

9. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CATENACCIO!!!

10. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Arsenal under Wenger did this in years past, where the left back was more likely to go further forward and the right back (in the Sagna days) stayed closer to midfield to help control possession.

Wenger really wanted his left backs to bomb forwards - we saw Cole, Clichy, Gibbs, Santos, Monreal, and Kolasinac get forward a lot more than the right back, probably in an effort to key on the left half-space. I'm guessing that's why he played a bunch of nominally central right-footed attackers on the left: Pires, Hleb, Rosicky, Nasri, Cazorla, Alexis.

Romfordray repped this.
  11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's interesting YoY the performance is not really good - but of course Wumger was about to hit a disastrous run

in the next 9 games Monsieur will only manage 10 pts

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 17.51.52.png

12. Shen-O

Shen-O Guest

Are you new? Lol a long punt yielding 1vs1 is a signature of the Premier League since at least the 90s.

13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Imo Ederson is unparalleled on the deck

His range is insane

In terms of unbalanced fbs I agree

U want an irthadox winger with a sound full back and an inside forward with an attacker

A la Cole and pires with Lauren staying safe with Freddie

We also had the big cb little cb combo which I miss

14. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Love bellarin, but I do miss Sagna. Couldn’t cross for sh!t, but was Just one of those defenders you had confidence in 1v1 and in recovery. Was the perfect foil for Walcott.

thebigman repped this.
  15. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You can have two marauding wingbacks, but we need much better defensive work down the spine.

Better than Lauren, I think. Truly a player who could've been an Invincible for us.

16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Clichy was the weak link

Especially when vermaeken was lcb

17. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I wonder that Gibbs might have been decent under Emery.

thebigman repped this.
  18. Shen-O

Shen-O Guest

How has he done since leaving?

19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He’s ok at West Brom

He had pace but that’s it

Sylvinho or even santos would look better

20. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Santos was a poor man Kolasinac lol

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  21. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    He’s a regular for WBA I think, not that that says much.

22. Shen-O

Shen-O Guest

23. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He was on going forward though but a horrible player and defender may of worked in a 3 at the back

24. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to the West Brom vs. Leeds match back in November. The Hawthorns....yeah, not impressed. Anyway, I thought Gibbs looked good that night against decent level Championship competition, fwiw.

maskito repped this.
  25. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monreal is the best LB we have had in ages. He had to move on to play. Credit to him.