MD9: Roma vs Napoli (November 2nd, 2019)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by SaI', Nov 2, 2019.

1. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    I missed the game, unfortunately. But, thrilled by the score, obliviously.

Kudos to the Goat, and Kudos to Fonseca for patching together a side capable of producing results.

Stil have no idea what to expect this season, but it's been an intriguing beginning to say the least.

wm72 repped this.
  2. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Fonseca will have a statue built this time next year after a scudetto season.

3. SaI'

SaI' Red Card

May 26, 2019
    Certaldo
    Shen-O repped this.
  4. wm72

wm72 Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The most impressive thing so far about Fonseca is that our pressing looks organized and actually works.

I really hate to say it about Di Francesco but I gave him somewhat of break on criticism due to roster issues.

However, Fonseca has been plagued with the most makeshift Roma roster I can ever recall and, so far, is taking whatever player that can still walk and actually making his principles function (while having Pastore recover 10+ balls in pressing a match on 3 days rest).

We'll see what happens when we get players back and managers around the league study what Fonseca is doing a bit more but, so far, he gets about as high of a grade as I could give considering the absurd injury luck.

Oban14, Midfield General, Java65 and 7 others repped this.
  5. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #130 La Magica, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019

Mostly agreed. However even in the makeshift lineup we have 3 key positions filled, consistently essential positions for the core that EDF lacked in quality. Lopez, Smalling and Veretout. That's a huge variable.
    But it was also evident from the first games that there's levels to coaching and whatever he does, be it how he explains himself tactically or on a personal level with the players, he gets his message across while EDF struggles. Yes, it could be as simple as he's a more personable dude who knows how to laugh and joke at the right time but be serious and demands respect. Whatever it is, he's a better coach while EDF needs to sit down and rethink after his sampdoria disaster.

Oban14, whill4, Midfield General and 3 others repped this.
  6. SaI'

SaI' Red Card

May 26, 2019
    Certaldo

Shen-O, shiboboo and La Magica repped this.
  7. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what gets overlooked by a lot of fans is the other aspects of coaching besides the tactics. How you manage players, how you pass along those tactics, player-coach interaction and communication. There are also 1000 small details that make teams.

I was reading an article today regarding how Fonseca has made it mandatory that the players eat breakfast and lunch at Trigoria. In fact every member of the club; players, coaches and office staff eat these meals together. Each meal is specifically prepared by trainers and dietitian, even Smalling's is meticulously designed.

Before there was always a AM training and a late afternoon training and everyone did their own thing for breakfast and lunch. Now they have to be there by 8:30, eat breakfast train until lunch

Oban14, La Magica and wm72 repped this.
  8. wm72

wm72 Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

It's a good point about Lopez and the most baffling mystery of the entire Monchi disaster was how he could possibly ignore the need for a midfielder with Veretout's attributes to replace Strootman.

I would argue though that the comfort level of the CBs may be mainly Fonseca's doing. Most thought we had downgraded at CB this summer by replacing Manolas with Smalling who a mediocre ManU considered too error prone and adding Mancini who wasn't always a consistent first choice at Atalanta for the same reason. (Not even to mention just having to throw out Celar for his first start at top level football against very tricky forward movement from Mertens and Milik.)

Oban14, Java65 and La Magica repped this.
  9. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #134 La Magica, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Karsdorp got slaughtered for saying the same thing you're now praising @Java65 :D;)

Football teams need a ban of brothers mentality to be successful.

shiboboo, Java65 and SaI' repped this.
  10. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    True, there's a little bit of everything to consider having a positive effect. A perfect storm.

Players can look bad for one team but look amazing in another system or style of play. Smalling is showing that to be true.

The club is in good hands with manager and DS again

wm72 and Java65 repped this.
  11. SaI'

SaI' Red Card

May 26, 2019
    Certaldo
    Cetin*

wm72 repped this.
  12. SaI'

SaI' Red Card

May 26, 2019
    Certaldo
    Going from Mongo/ EDF to Petrachi/Fonseca is like going from being homeless to living in a mansion.

wm72, Midfield General and La Magica repped this.
  13. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be honest, I'm never understood what Karsdorp meant. Did he mean what we are talking about or did he mean training was too rigorous?

Never the less, you and I have both talked about how, for years, people said Trigoria was more of a private resort club than a training facility for a professional sports team. I'm starting to think that's changed. And I agree, to be a successful team you all need to be fighting together; players, coaches, staff... everyone.

14. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He mentioned the lack of team togetherness for those same reasons listed in that article and people were like stop you're crying. You're a professional, you're here to work.

Football teams need both and Fonseca has brought that back :thumbsup:

Java65 repped this.
  15. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's easy for player's to follow a coach who is an alpha Chad.

wm72, SaI', whill4 and 1 other person repped this.
  16. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Thanks!

Couldn’t post lately but I’m happy with how things going with the team. With some luck I think we can insert ourselves in the title race.

wm72 and Midfield General repped this.
  17. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma