MD4: Roma vs Chievo (September 16th, 2018)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    You're already writing off Pastore just a handful of matches into the season? Nzonzi is also easily our best acquisition of the summer. Even if we only manage to get a good 3-4 years out of him he is still very much worth every penny of the money spent.

This all goes back to the exact same discussion: a team have undergone a lot of changes, is within a period of transition, and fans having unrealistic expectations

This is a very talent squad, but sadly they're going to need quite a bit of time to click. Expect a few.more disappointing results before we get there.

2. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    All that being said, we had this one in the bag. EDF made some overly unnecessary second half.alterations, and the squad lost some of its motivation. This is hardly the first time we've seen this team throw away valuable points against bottom feeder opponents. Shall we revisit how many times it happened with radja, Stroot, nd even Alisson on the squad?

wm72 repped this.
  3. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Is Ante Coric injured or has he been banished to the stands already?

4. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not writing Pastore off I'm just saying he is a big gamble. He has a reputation for not being the hardest worker.

N'Zonzi is a good DM but at 30 and already having DDR I don't think he was worth the money.

As for time.. I'm a fan, I don't care about giving them time. I've stated my minimal expectations for the season and contending with Juve for most of the season was one of them. We are already out of scudetto contention having dropped 7 points.

I have no interest in giving Monchi and EDF time, I have an interest in winning and it's their job to make that happen. Anything else is just making excuses

5. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Looks like healthy just banished to the stands. Not a good sign for the kids career.

6. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I thought Chievo played very well and fully deserved their draw, they could do very well this season.

Our team was significantly weakened over the summer.

Marko83 repped this.
  7. Oban14

Oban14 Member+

Jul 5, 2006
    Illinois
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think they are going to ease him in. Rome is a difficult place to play. No sense crushing his confidence while learning a new league and new language. He has looked very good in the three few appearances he has had.

wm72, Java65 and Hustle and Flow repped this.
  8. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Seems like one or two are still forgiving of this mess. I wonder how long that will last. Give it time my ass. It's not acceptable.

LordNelson repped this.
  9. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    We can cry all we want about Monchi's sales , but that fact remains this team has more than enough talent/ability to win games domestically.

This is a good roster. I don't care what anyone says.

EDF's philosophy and style was always going to be a big transition, as was overhauling the roster to suit him. Growing pains were expected , but he needs to win games like this in the meantime.

Having a coach build a program a la Pochettino is exactly what Roma needs, imo. These things take time , years even... but damnit man, if you want fans to believe in the process, you cannot have games like this. You just can't ... not in this market. EDF may not deserve 100% of the blame for the draw today, but he sure as hell wasn't a positive, imo. The first half showed what we can look like in the future under his philosophy, there was some really good stuff -- even if it was against measly Chievo. But for all the good that could've been taken away from the game , it was all forgotten by epically shooting himself in the foot.

Conte isn't the answer either, imo. He'll more than likely get us in the top 4 , but he'll leave in a year or two and who knows what he'll want to do with the roster/ how the kids would develop. It would just be a temporary fix for a problem that needs to be solved with long term answers.

He also isn't really an easy guy to get along with. It has shit-storm/bad break up, written all over it.

If we get rid of EDF , we need to get a better version of EDF. Like a Leo Jardim. Someone who can develop our youth and win games simultaneously.

Luckily for us, the rest of the anti-Juventus sides aren't looking that great at the moment, either. But we can't depend on that continuing. We must improve-- soon.

wm72, shiboboo and ErPupone repped this.
  10. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    The problem is EDF’s “philosophy” is fcuking garbage.

11. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    After all the upheaval EDF needs to be given this year. Its just not logical to make huge changes and then sack him a few games into the season. He has baffled me with his line ups in some games and lack of quick changes when it was clear it was not working.

I have not watched the game yet, I will now. The only logic I'm expecting to see to his subs in midfield came about because we failed to dominate that area and he thought DDR would help gain that control, thus seal the game. That falls in line with the stats, 15 v 10 shots and only 54% possession is not anywhere near good enough at home to fcuking Chievo.

wm72 repped this.
  12. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why would Monchi replace EDF? He only renewed his contract a few months ago.

13. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is N'Zonzi and DDR is always a terrible idea especially in a 4-3-3. I do agree that you need some time to gel and reach their peak but you do not need time to beat the likes of Chievo, Roma should be able to do that with 11 new starters.

14. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Conte is pipe dream. First, Pallotta isn't gonna pay Conte the wages he wants. Second, Conte wants full control of players coming in and out. His vision would be nearly diametrically opposed with the Monchi/Pallotta vision.

It's never even gonna be considered.

Oban14, Marko83, shiboboo and 1 other person repped this.
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That means nothing. Looking at last years Serie A managerial replacements, contracts are easy to give out....

[​IMG]

16. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    I'd say his in-game management is the bigger problem, personally.

17. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I wouldnt be jumping to such conclusions about DDR and Nzonzi yet. They are highly experienced players. My point was why EDF would sub him in on this game and by looking at the stats it seems to point to him looking for control.

and Football simply doesnt work like that.. Chievo are an annoying little side but they have always played smart. They never make huge changes because they cant afford a rebuilding year. So they remain stable as a team making a few changes in and out, abling them to grind results and stay up. Last year, Roma would not have lost control of that but after these changes we dont have a stable team yet.

wm72 and Haakon24 repped this.
  18. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The wages might be a problem for sure. Barca and Man U have been sniffing around Monchi so maybe JP might see that as an opportunity to cut bait now. EDF hasn't been good but there have been some extremely questionable purchases that have/will cost us money. Defrel and Schick last year was just stupid. We bought N'Zonzi without selling Gonalons and now it looks like we'll have to deal with Gonalons again next year. Again, Pastore was always a gamble and so far (still to early to say for sure) it's not going well.

We spent a LOT of money this year and, IMO, Monchi made the classic mistake most DS make when they come into a lot of money, they opt for quantity over quality.

19. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If Monchi renewed EDF a few months ago he will not dismiss him, at least not for several months yet. The world has not changed in three months and EDF is the same coach now as he was then.

20. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    You've yet to watch, but once you do , let me know if you disagree with the sequence of events.

-- Started really well

-- Got scored on late in the 1st against the run of play

-- Doubt crept in

-- EDF made questionable/conservative subs

-- lost control of the match

-- conceded a goal from another poor defensive sequence

Java65 and La Magica repped this.
  21. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only thing.. Birsa scored early in the 2nd not the 1st but everything else spot on. Even before and after the goal I think Roma played well. I disagree with the notion that Chievo outplayed Roma, it wasn't until the changes that Chievo started to outplay us. I wasn't even upset about the Birsa goal because honestly it was a fantastic shot from a long way out rather than a defensive breakdown.

We could have had more possession but, IMO, one of the reasons we didn't is that Pellegrini, Cristatne, SES and Under were creating and making difficult passes... some of them worked others didn't and we gave up possession on those that didn't then Chievo was just knocking the ball around in their own 3rd.

The sub's killed us

22. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Chievo was clearly better than us in the second half.

It was an even game and a draw was a fair result.

23. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, there were some bright spots. I thought Pellegrini and Cristante played well and both were creating chances. SES and Under played well (sadly we've seen this from SES and he'll now disappear for 4 games). Up until that last goal JJ and Manolas played well and that goal wasn't all on them tbf.

24. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    Olsen seems like he’s got lead in his boots. Can’t get off the ground ffs:cry:.

25. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Good call. My bad.

Agreed. That's why it's such a dick-punch. We wanted the kids to get a chance and play better --- and they did.

We pissed it away , and it's highly annoying.

Java65 repped this.