MD3: Milan vs Roma (August 31st, 2018)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    By his standards? Nah, he wasn't too bad. And he did work hard, tbf. But we needed a game-breaker out there, imo. Someone who can make something happen on his own.

SES isn't that dude.

shiboboo repped this.
  2. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    He's been that dude for us numerous times before tbf. Our attack was just a complete mess in general yesterday . Just not a good tactical approach by EDF at all.

3. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    #278 Hustle and Flow, Sep 1, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    I know you like SES , but no, he's not on Under and Kluivert's level at creating opportunities from nothing. SES is very much a complementary player in my eyes -- not a game-breaker.

We can go on about EDF's tactical mistakes , but to me, subbing in SES was a smaller preventable decision.

It's just something I wouldn't have done at halftime if I were him - that's all.

Kluivert would've been the guy I introduced to start the 2nd half.

La Magica and shiboboo repped this.
  4. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    If Kluivert was in on the right he could have received one of Karsdorps entry passes and created dangerous chances. Especially against a slower LB in Ricardo Rodriguez.

5. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    I just don't see the point in playing Dzeko and Schick together. At all. Aside from having two giants in the box for corner kicks at least.

6. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I've read a lot of criticism aimed at the upper management (not necessarily in this forum, but in general) and I just don't understand. If those people think they know better, perhaps they should get off their keyboards and try to run a football club by themselves, but with a catch - have Roma's revenues, no stadium of your own and enormous expectations by fans. See for how long they'll manage.

The sales has angered the fans, so now that we've drawn and lost, everyone is focusing on how our goalkeeper is shit and how our midfield is terrible. We've had a tough start to the schedule, so perhaps it can be argued that Strootman would have been useful, at least for continuity. But even with him, I'm not certain that we will not have conceded the goals that we did. The bigger problem since the start for me has been EDF and some individual players who aren't yet up to the level that we are accustomed to seeing. Kolarov, Manolas and Fazio have so far not been on the level that we're accustomed to seeing.

I understand we have a lot of new players, so it's to be expected that EDF will try some new things. It's great when they work and frustrating when they don't. When everyone is back to match fitness, it will be up to him to find out how exactly to fit the pieces and make it tick.

Forzaabruzzo repped this.
  7. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    To those who somehow think we'd be fairing ao much better with Radja and Stroot in the lineup: Hindsight is always 20/20. That being said, keep in mind we lost 2-0 to the same Milan team last February, with both those guys in the starting 11. Chances are the outcome wouldn't have been all that different. At the moment the quality of the talent at our disposal isn't the issue, but rather getting said talent on the same.page, while establishing a concrete tactical direction.

shiboboo repped this.
  8. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're all gonna die!!!

chaponga, shiboboo and Il Ciuccio repped this.
  9. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ok - there has been some diabolical posting from a number of members here and the myths need to be dispelled . Surely; not even our most tribal lovers of our PSG-Lover and " our American Heroes" can disagree:

Torino, Atalanta and Milan are difficult teams: No, just no. Simple fact.

Strootman and Nainggollan were not that good anyway: Again, just no. I will agree even with these two were never going to win anything - these players at least knew Rome and Roma and what the fans expect. All we have now is some newbies - who crumble at the sight of an Atalanta C side.

This team is build for future: What future exactly ? at least not for a Roma future - as proven from " our American Heroes " buying low and selling high has taken priority over winning any trophies. Some of these players " may " be good, but will be sold almost immediately as soon as they are.

Schick is a beast: I am going to come out and say it ( although I already said it before last season ) he is even a bigger flop than Iturbe - purely because of his price.

Roma Project: There is no project, apart from making money. Which in itself is no problem - " our American Heroes " are leading us down a no soul club. Look at the disgraceful treatment of Totti and Florenzi. So just to sum it up, it is not just about 3 games, it is about all those years our great owners whom are loved by 99 % of this forum have been BS us. So - yes, I think some Tifosi do have the right to be concerned.

Andreas, BtownKj, whill4 and 3 others repped this.
  10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I love how the Lord never once breaks character. A garden variety troll will let a sentence slip here or there that betrays their act.

Not Lord Nelson. He’s 100% the genuine article. We are blessed to live in his times.

Andreas, chaponga, Haakon24 and 8 others repped this.
  11. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    Preach fratello. If you still have Mongo as your avatar still you should in prison tbh.

Andreas, Midfield General and LordNelson repped this.
  12. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    You are correct to not blame Faio, he did nothing wrong from a defensive pov.
    Watching this goal again it comes down to a lack of speed in organisation. Manolas has the job to cover that area but is obviously rightfully worried about leaving Higuain. The second before the pass is played, he glances to a laboring Nzonzi to cover Higuain.

When he glances back the pass is played and its too late. Marcano is also slow to react but the initial problem develops from Nzonzi not being back quickly enough to allow Manolas the ability to zone mark the front post.

These are the little things that take time for new players to get fully on the same page but will make a huge difference. Fazio is an easy target so far but anyone blaming for him this is wrong.

Oban14, Java65 and Shen-O repped this.
  13. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    After the international break we have a game every 3/4 days right up until the next international break. Which is great because we look like we need all the game time we can get right now.

Our next 3 league games are against the teams currently sitting in 18th, 19th and 20th place. No excuses, 9pts or go home Roma.

BtownKj and mancini30 repped this.
  14. zako

zako Member+

May 11, 2006
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I think the main problem is the loss of confidence brought by Olsen in goal instead of Becker....I want to cry when I watch his clumsy movements and passes :(

Welcome back me by the way :)

I do hope EDF will figure out the right formation and line up, because we do have potential...and I hope Olsen is no Stekelenburg who also had a marvelous world cup before we brought him in

Andreas, whill4, Java65 and 1 other person repped this.