MD29: Roma vs Napoli (March 31st, 2019)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, Mar 29, 2019.

1. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    Please delete this take before someone sees.

2. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know everyone hates Olsen. He sucks. That's fine.

That cross had enough heat that any other goalie would've been forgiven for not reeling it in. And three guys couldn't keep track of Mertens, who pitched a tent in our six. I know he's short, but damn.

Forzaabruzzo repped this.
  3. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Olsen should've done much better however seeing our entire backline stand still and merely watch the ball as Mertens went for an easy tap-in was incredibly cringe worthy to see.

shiboboo repped this.
  4. Rellum

Rellum Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Brisbane
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The whole team seems to be collapsing. We are heading down hill at the wrong time. The next 10 years is vital to stay in the top 20 clubs so if the setup of Europe changes we will be a part of it. If we drop back to 7th place results we might stay there for a very long time

5. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what heat? I'm not blaming him for any of the other goals, but there are 38 other GK in the league that collect that weak cross. The worst part is he wasn't even close to stopping it. He doesn't go down until after the ball is past him.

6. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just re-watched it again. Olsen's reflexes/reactions to the cross are abysmal.

7. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Enough heat for a Sunday league player. For a professional international goalkeeper? Come on. The best defenders in the world would switch off on plays like that because they expect it to be routine.

Java65 repped this.
  8. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It's not even argument worthy. That was an absolute howler from Olsen, end of. Of the errors he has made/goals conceded people feel he should not have, that was his worst, most blatant mistake for me. Although I may be forgetting another blatant howler.

I defended Olsen in recent times against what I felt at the time was overly harsh criticism. That was simply a defense against the implication that he was the main source of our woes, which was simply unfair. As I said at the time, we had and continue to have issues than run deeper than our below average GK.

He was never great start with but now he seems to be getting worse with each passing week and so I'll have to retract my suggestion in the past that there's room for improvement as he settles more. He has gone from average, just about serviceable, to plain bad. At this stage I would 100% agree with those who are exasperated that he continues to start games. Mirante needs to start and when it becomes clear that a top 4 finish is no longer achievable, as it surely will at some point, Fuzato can be given a go.

Flog Olsen for 5-10 mil and move on from him. Selling him for slightly less than we paid wont be a big deal.

Oban14, shiboboo, Haakon24 and 1 other person repped this.
  9. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea, I wouldn't mind seeing what Fuzato has. My only concern is I don't want to ruin him. In just about any sport confidence is a major factor and the last thing I want is to destroy him by throwing him to the wolves.

I think the best thing Saba ever did was get WS for that second year and give Alisson a year to settle.

Midfield General repped this.
  10. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's inarguable. The corpse of De Sanctis looked decent behind Benatia and Castan, and for all of Alisson's glory, he could only keep out so many behind a mediocre back line (defensively).

11. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shiboboo and Midfield General repped this.
  12. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Looking back, his career was over when he wanted to fight the fans in preseason camp. He was on his way to being a world class striker before having a meltdown that lasted for a few years before totally giving up. He belonged in the 80/90s era when his lack of discipline would have been fine.

whill4, Haakon24 and Midfield General repped this.
  13. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Best defenders in the world dont stop till the play is actually dead. I'm by no means excusing Olsen for his part in that goal, however I'm not excusing our backlines lack of focus either. That goal was a calamity of errors and embarrassing to witness.

14. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Seriously?

15. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma

I see top players swtich off, they're human no matter their quality and it becomes a subconscious act in situations like that when a daisy cutter is played across the box. You're at a level you take for granted that is routine. I've defended Olsen enough but that is beyond the point.
    We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Java65 repped this.
  16. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Difference is that our defense has "switched off" far too often this season.

17. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Just watched the highlights. Olsen strikes again.

No idea how the fcuk we're gunna get rid of him. Can't afford to have him as our backup, either, imo.

Savaroni is fantastic, but he's not a miracle worker. Hopefully our next DoF places a little more value into that position.

18. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You mean some of the prettiest women I've ever seen

19. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    You must have pretty low standards;)

20. ErPupone

ErPupone Member+

Aug 27, 2015
    Austria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It's strange because 20% of women there are among the hottest in the world and 80% are just trash. If you see anything inbetween it's probably a tourist from the North. But my post was more about dudes anyway. And not really meant to cause a discussion.:D