MD24: Roma v Benevento (February 11th, 2018)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, Feb 8, 2018.

1. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I hear you. The good talents are still out there. It doesn't matter about names, it matters about what they can do within the system. A guy who i thought would have been great for us as far back as Rudi is Ben Yedder. He is someone with a lower profile but fits that bill. However he finally got a move to a bigger side when sevilla took him on but he was available for 2-3 seasons. Point is, they're around these leagues if you look hard enough.

2. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah, Ben Yedder isn't a bad shout and I saw you mention Taarabt earlier as well. For me, I don't l love those types as much because I really feel you need a strong will and mentality to survive at a club like Roma.

I know your thinking behind it is that there's incredible talents that for whatever reason (attitude/troubled past/injuries/bad coaches) that fall through the cracks , and I think you're right in that regard. But with Taarabt , I kind of feel like he's similar to Ben Arfa. Ridiculously talented , but once he takes that step up to a big time club , with big-time pressure , it's too much for him. I think across europe there's mercurial talents that shine in smaller clubs , but can't quite do it for a bigger club. Quaresma, Arnautovic, Ben Arfa etc. Maybe I'm wrong to put Taarabt in that class , but it's just how I feel without digging too much into his past.

I could be wrong.

For me, I want young players to mould under our philosophies. I want us to indentify "Roma players" and to have promising talents that other teams want to buy off of us. I don't want cast-offs , or reclimation projects. I think that's the best way for us to establish our culture and to get the best talent we can.

3. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    I don't knew the exact terms of Defrel's deal, we might not be able to get out of it.

Martial was reduced to a bit player this year. First he was getting benched/rotated for Rashford, then Mou goes and signs Alexis to play in his position, he is too talented to be bench fodder.

He was already getting linked to many teams last summer, including Roma, I doubt he stays another year. I don't know about the price, he hasn't played or done enough to justify 40M+ price tag the last couple of years, but it all depends on who is interested.

4. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #179 Hustle and Flo, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Ehh I dunno about that assessment , I watch pretty much every United game.

I do agree that Alexis has taken the LW role from him , but Martial is still getting minutes at RW , and far more than his super-sub role earlier in the year.

Rashford has been the one taking the biggest hit from Sanchez's arrival.

I can't see Mourinho letting him go. And if he does , he's going for 70 million plus.

Martials last 7 games (minutes) : 25, 77, 80, 90, 90, 13, 90

I know there's talk in the papers about a rift, but I just don't see it.

5. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Well, they can afford to do whatever they want, it all comes down to Martial in the end and if he is happy with his role there.

6. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #181 Hustle and Flo, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Right, if he goes, I think PSG would be all fcuking over it. Cavani's time there is likely limited anyways , and Neymar keeps flirting with Madrid (that guy....:rolleyes:).

He's out of our price-range now.

What we need to do is to steal one of Monaco's scouts and beat them to the punch for some players from the seemingly endless supply of French talent right now.:devilish:

Java65 and Salmeen10 repped this.
  7. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would take Rashford in a minute, he's wasting his talents under Mourinho.

The problem with any player that signs with a big club like Man U is that their salary becomes out of reach for most other clubs.

I read yesterday Roma are interested in Lacazette, I didn't even post it because its just so silly it's not even worth the time.

8. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Rashford is untouchable. United fans would riot if Mourinho tried to move him and rightly so.

Lukaku and believe it or not , Pogba, are the issues right now.

And yeah , Lacazette isn't going anywhere , and again, if he does, he's beyond our price-range.

9. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Lacazette is out at Arsenal now that they have Aubameyang but he's out of Roma's price range.

10. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They've been using him as a RW after signing Pierre. He's not going anywhere unless he forces a move , and even then, we all know how productive that can be with Arsene.

11. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma

Yes it would be very risky to sign Taarabt on 6 months good form. Really no way of knowing if its finally a turning point in his career or if its just another false dawn. I guess i just choose to believe at 28 he's finally getting his act together and of course if the money was reasonable it could have been a calculated gamble for us but we have no idea what Benfica want. If it was Jan next year and he had a 1.5 years of good form then he would be a very interesting signing. I hope he remains in Serie A though, entertaining player!

Obviously these types of players can be very disruptive to the squad but if you can accommodate their defensive weaknesses into the tactics or even somehow get them playing for the team you have somersetting special. A good football team is like a good tool kit. You need a number of different ones o fix the problems. I'd always want to add one guy like this to my team and take the risk.

I like Arrnautovic as well, he was also the exact player we've needed for many years. That two way striker who instead of going from Totti to Destro as the in game sub which killed our attacking momentum with the wide players roles totally changing, to something much more smoother. I wouldnt put him in that category, he's had a solid career but moved to Inter way too young. He should be starring for a champions league side but that epl money suckered him in.

12. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben Arfa is such a waste of talent. Insane skill and footwork that just doesn't materialize into a great player.

13. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He is a great player but you need to build the team around him. Looks like a signing the manager didnt want and put his foot down by totally ignoring him. A luxury at a money club to treat such quality as disposable. He hasnt even been given a chance to claim him to a flop.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They just showed this game again on NBSCA. I know the pk for Roma at the very end of the game was valid and all but out of sympathy , I would have let it slide.

Poor Benevento. Glad they signed Sagna who turned 35 today. Tanti auguri!