MD2: Roma vs Atalanta (August 27th, 2018)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, Aug 23, 2018.

1. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I'm dont believe for a second what we saw in the 1st half has anything to do with us relaxing. It was a broken system in midfield v a team that while th4y made changes the players know the system and the changes were seamless. Gasperini is, when given time to work an excellent coach.

Tward, whill4, shiboboo and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a CM that consists of; a 35 year old, 30 year old and a 29 yr old is our future, we have real issues.

The future of our CM is not playing a 4-3-3 if you don't have the players to do it.

Tward and Forzaabruzzo repped this.
  3. decola

decola Member+

Sep 12, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I thought we looked better in the second half of this game (with Nzonzi) than most of last season....

i was having PTSD of the Liverpool game at Anfield watching Atalanta score 3 goals in 20 minutes...

4. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the ACM game I'm interested to see what EDF does at FB. Does he go with Santon or Karsdorp? Santon is Santon, we all know who he is, but Karsdrop hasn't played in 1.5 years and I'm not sure he's ready to go 90 mins.

If he plays Santon at RB then what about LB? I'm not sure Kolarov can go again on Friday so does he throw Luca into the fire? I wouldn't mind seeing him going to a back 3 and then work Karsdorp in later in the game.

5. chaponga

chaponga Member

Roma
    Jul 11, 2011
    Arizona
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So one game in and all the young midfielders are a bust? this is the most ROMA fan post ever... how do you ever take joy in a team when all you ever see is the sky falling?

La Magica, Shen-O, Moebek and 3 others repped this.
  6. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    This can't be liked enough. Roma fans are a special breed. Every transfer another club makes is excellent , every signing we make is loaded with "risk". As if "risk" doesn't apply to anyone else.

vs Atalanta:

Olsen-new
    Nzonzi- new
    Cristante-new
    Pellegrini-kid
    Pastore- new
    Schick- kid
    Under-kid
    Kluivert- new/kid

EDF- 2 games into his second season with 4 points.

I mean, I would say relax, but I know it wouldn't do any good.

chaponga, shiboboo, La Magica and 4 others repped this.
  7. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We absolutely do have the players to play a 4-3-3, it’s just a matter of everyone geling together

Give it time

Midfield General repped this.
  8. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't think Cristante was total dog shite. Had a couple of nice recoveries and was hard done by a BS call on another tackle that he won in a dangerous spot. He's a big horse in the midfield. Once he gets his footing he's going to be a real problem for opposing teams that field lightweights in the middle of their lineups.

Not concerned with the GK right now. If he still can't get the ball out early and on point come mid November then I'll worry.

Agree that over all the game was a disappointment but I don't see how anyone can draw any conclusive thoughts on this Roma after only 2 games.

9. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So many assumptions after only two games. I'm not a huge fan of this mercato, just my oppinion, but I'm also willing to wait another 10 games until I write a lot of guys off or make guys out to be better than they are. Patience, EDF is a smart guy. Let's see what he can do and eventually we will see who works and who doesn't. Not saying things will work out but we can actually have a more accurate oppinion once we've seen a larger sample size.

Java65 and Midfield General repped this.
  10. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Ronaldo and Higuain both have yet to score with their new clubs. Complete busts I tell you :p

TheNewMeazza, shiboboo and Java65 repped this.
  11. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Except he is no fan. He is a chelsea troll

chaponga, Haakon24 and Java65 repped this.
  12. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    That's not the impression that I get when I watch their second goal. Manolas sort of nonchalantly tries to shield the ball from the incoming Zapata, and he overpowers him. Then Fazio casually strolls as the ball goes past him. If that isn't relaxation and lack of focus, I don't know what is.

Shen-O and Moebek repped this.
  13. Shen-O

Shen-O Guest

Nobody has ever accused Manolas of being always-on, lol. That goal is 90% his fault.

chaponga repped this.
  14. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It's possible the Stroot situation unsettled one or three before the game too. I think you have to remember that these lads spend a lot of time together and become good friends. The Stroot situation may have dented morale somewhat. Yes these lads are supposed to be professionals but they're also human.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to grasp at straws and come up with excuses for what was simply a shambolic 1st half display. There can be no excuses for that, but there is generally a number of factors that contribute to such a poor showing.

15. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Fun fact - yesterday was Atalanta's seventh official match of the season. They are much further ahead in preparation. They crushed Frosinone and destroyed us in the first half. EDF perhaps underestimated them a bit with the starting line-up, but he acted at HT and we salvaged the point. With a bit of extra luck, we may even have won it. Shit happens. I'm sure we're not as terrible as we saw in the first half, it was a combination of several factors.

On to Milan.

Hustle and Flow repped this.
  16. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Jesus , really?

I think EDF make a comment about their fitness being vastly superior to ours post-game. Makes sense.

17. Big Tom

Big Tom Member+

Sep 11, 2011
    In Jimmy's Fountain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I really liked the 4-2-3-1 in the second half, we looked a lot more balanced with it. I really hope he tries it out against Milan.

18. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    #243 Salmeen10, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Unlikely, DDR can’t play consecutive games. If EDF wants to play 4-2-3-1 then he will have to use Pellegrini as Nzonzi’s partner.

I expect the typical 4-3-3 with Nzonzi as DM, but EDF might do something crazy and play with 3 CBs.

19. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
  20. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
  21. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Neither would I. I just don't want that to happen.

22. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Its the first game of the season at home, you dont start games like this in front of your fans with a lacks attitude at this level or any level for that matter. We were bombarded because of a tactical breakdown and the pressure was building from the Pastore goal. When you're under constant pressure, even the best players in the game will screw up and look very average. I'm taking nothing away from their performance.

23. Rellum

Rellum Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Brisbane
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I imagine that EDF rested most of our first choice midfield because of the short turn around in games and Milan being the second game. There was also Atalanta resting most of their first choice team.

I think he went about it the wrong way, N'Zonzi should have started with Pastore and rest they at half time of the 50 minute mark, keep their training loads down in the days between games.

Having a young and under prepared midfield played into Atalanta's hands.

But to be honest most of the issues are at the back, if simple playing out is an issue we are going to struggle no matter who is up the field and if the defenders are lost on what to do...ditto.

24. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We got humiliated by a Atalanta C team and some of you are celebrating like we won the Scudetto. Looks like our " PSG-Lover" has set the standard so low - we accept everything.

25. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I think this is a chicken or the egg kind of thing.You can blame the defence for not being able to pass the ball and start play or you can look at it from the point of view that apart form DDR the other midfielders did not interpret their roles. You need one guy at least to be buzzing around the mid looking for space and the quick pass to relieve that pressure. The defence cant play it out if they dont have anyone to hit. I think it became clear pretty early from Olsen passing it to Fazio who would then be unsure and knock it back to Olsen for the long kick. We seen Kolarov on multiple occasions taking no risks and lumping it forward. He is an experienced player and knew it wasn't worth the risk of passing it into the middle only to be lost.

For me the middle of the park is where the flow of the game will be decided. The uncertainty started there and spread through the side.

shiboboo and Midfield General repped this.