MD2: Lazio vs Roma (September 1st, 2019)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by L'immortale, Aug 27, 2019.

1. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
  2. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    English commentators who barely watch a Roma game praise Florenzi as a great player.

Roma fans

[​IMG]

GamE_Ove12, Shen-O, Andreas and 7 others repped this.
  3. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Dude, he's rated oddly high outside of Italy, I find. Not just by the English, either.

Maybe it's his FIFA rating or something.. I dunno. His volley-punts better be a 99, I know that.

L'immortale repped this.
  4. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    They are doing God’s work. The majority of the football community still thinks he’s a top RB.

Haakon24 repped this.
  5. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    "An anthem for football" - Fonseca

I like this man.

hangthadj repped this.
  6. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    Of course they think a defender who doesn't defend is great at his position. This is the Serie A.

7. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure it comes from his few highlight games he's had in Champions League. It's the only time most neutrals watch us. It's the same with Manolas as well.

Shen-O and Haakon24 repped this.
  8. nguoiaoden

nguoiaoden Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    [​IMG]

9. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The group think manner of shitting on Florenzi really is something.

porreca and Java65 repped this.
  10. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Le pagelle di Lazio Roma 1-1: Pau Lopez super, Milinkovic-Savic luci e ombre

So is Kolarov good now?

12. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Well, this is the sub-forum that was full with boners when we've hired Moronchi, so there's only so much stock you could put in their opinions.

LordNelson and porreca repped this.
  13. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Meh. It's just honesty. He's been horrid.

Notice how myself and other "Dzeko haters" praised him for his performance today? There's no agenda. He was a sulky bitch last season, and this season he's playing differently (so far).

If Florenzi plays like a proper RB sometime soon, I'll say as much. "Group think"... give me a breather. Watch the guy play.

14. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    To watch this performance today and label it group think. I don't know what to say other than he can't have watched the game. Lazio targeted the right side for a reason and there was at least 3 total amateur plays from him amongst other mistakes. But but group think. Right.

15. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Sure, over the course of 90 minutes there is obviously gonna be a lot of attacks down the right hand side. Part of this is that Under offers next to zero cover and effort tracking back. Part of this is certainly on Florenzi as well. It's easy to target the midget who isn't exactly physical.

That all said, Florenzi had his share of clearances today. He cleaned up more than his share of messes caused be enormous gaps left by the Pellegrini/Cristante pivot. He handled himself on an island adequately for most the match, and had a few typically laughable plays on the ball. This happens over 90 minutes.

Meanwhile, where did the tying goal from? Kolarov, the supposed warrior and veteran lacking the intelligence to get rid of the ball quickly, turning it over, and Fazio running around like a chicken with his head cut off.

So sure, Florenzi was "targeted." He held up his end of the bargain today. He was far from our biggest problem on the day.

porreca, muptonfish and Nabolidaboli repped this.
  16. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Read all my comments if you think im being harsh on him. I stated our whole back 4 was a mess numerous times. Kolarov made a huge mistake but that's not a characteristic of his overall play. Florenzi had a number of them which by luck didn't result in a couple of goals. Of course there's going to be general mistakes over 90 mins but that's not what we witnessed today. His enthusiasm for the game, doing something good and then something retarded doesn't veto him from criticism. Do the basics of your role first. Deflecting this to point out an uncharacteristic kolarov mistake isn't going to cut it.

17. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Ever seen a midget let loose in Vegas high on cocaine?

That's how I'd describe his performance today.

18. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Many people here don't seem to realize that our defensive tactics assume and count on our opponents attacking us on the flanks. I never knew that a RB's main duties were to barricade 1/4 of the pitch and not let a bird fly in, especially when the coach has instructed the team to stay compact in the middle of the pitch, but that's just me.

Florenzi saved our bacon on numerous occasions tonight, he didn't let people get by him one on one, he didn't cost us dangerous fouls or frivolous corners, he didn't miss on closing in on his direct opponents to prevent them from making long-shots, he was where he was supposed to be via set-pieces, and his attacking runs and passes were quite good. Not his best performance, but one of his more solid ones.

His biggest sin of course, today and always, is his loyalty to the club and the fact that he's paid and played according to his football and leadership abilities. This isn't a new bias in this sub-forum, it's always the same people bunching on the players who are 1. Roman and talented 2. Non-Roman and full with grinta and love for the shirt - Naingollan, Strootman, to some extent Manolas.

And no matter how many gazillion times those people are made to eat their words after their newcoming "grass is always greener" heroes get bought into the club and fail to fight for a starting spot with the old dogs, they still default on hating the old dogs, because that's what biased people usually do.

I'd gladly annoy the shit out of you for the rest of the season on the count of Florenzi, and it would be doubly sweet when he puts in decent performances, like tonight.

And all your bias is made even more glaring when we consider how many different RBs that you pined over had failed to move Florenzi out of the starting spot, him winning trust again and again from Rudi, Ranieri, Spalletti, Di Franceso and Fonseca. Not to mention the Italian NT team coaches, who have access to literally every Italian RB in the world, and yet they seem to like lorenzi on the RB just well enough.

Sorry to be burning your beautiful bandwagon. It's a shame, really. After your Moronchi bandwagon burned down to the ground, this is another one doomed for the flames.

porreca and hangthadj repped this.
  19. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    If Florenzi puts in a good performance then I praise it. I'm not going to turn a blind eye to it over what you see as bias.

I was never on the bandwagon. Did I want him to do well when he arrived? Of course like I want to see everyone do well when they come to the club.

20. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    The Monchi stuff kills me. He was doing fine until the summer of 2018, imo. Then he went off the rails and I promptly started calling him out. It's so indicitive of the times to be labeled a "group thinker" or a "Monchi-stan" , instead of dealing with the grey area and changing realities that affect opinions in real-time.

You can't change your mind on the internet. Nope, gotta be labeled something. Right or left. The political climate has permeated it's way through the zeitgeist of society as a whole, and it's just pathetic and lazy thinking.

I dunno what the fcuk happened to Monchi here, but he's gone right back to making savy moves in Sevilla that gained him all that notoriety in the first place.

Get over yourself Matrim, and go get some fresh air during a nice walk in Kazakhstan. Florenzi has been regressing in his prime years (somehow), and it's just poor analysis or intelligence to not see it.

La Magica and shiboboo repped this.
  21. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 1.18.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 1.18.43 PM.png

1.19xG....0.19xG outside of Kolarov's Pen. We got worked... just incase people tried to convince themselves otherwise. Helluva stat-line from the Goat, tbf.

22. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup. The fact is, (yes fact) Florenzi has been one of our best overall players these first 2 games. For some here no matter how many things he does well in a game they'll pounce on 1 play and hold that up as evidence he sucks. Again, he's not world class but he's a pretty good player.

porreca, Nabolidaboli and hangthadj repped this.
  23. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched the game. The MF is just not good, how many times did Lazio pull the ball back to a late running CM or a CM left completely free just outside the box to shoot with no pressure.

I'm not sure if its and issue with Pellegrini and/or Cristante or with the tactics but we got beat badly in the MF

Marco9 repped this.
  24. decola

decola Member+

Sep 12, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I saw Fonseca on the side lines lecturing Zaniolo about (what seemed like) him not playing close enough to Pelle/Cristante, they seemed to be left isolated a lot

I noticed a lot during the game that Pellegrini would move forward, Cristante would go in to cover him, then Lazio would pass into the space Cristante had left which put the 3 on 3 with the defense a number of times

I think having one of Diawara/Veretout in the MF will solve the issue

Java65 repped this.
  25. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I agree with you about Florenzi - not the best, but he's only awful when he doesn't have a day, and this isn't as often as some represent it to be.

About the midfield - it's mostly about grinta and leadership. Neither of our young guys have that extra spark in them that would intimidate an opponent to give them some lleway and mess with them. Plus both of them lack that offensive threat guys like DDR, Strootman, Naingollan, Pjanic had in their average day performances.

One of them needs to be more experienced, proactive and talented if we're to dominate any game versus a decently playing team. Both of them are 'nice guys' and you simply know that they'll fold vs any opposition that ready to play hard and dirty on them.

Java65 repped this.