MD14: Roma vs Inter (December 2nd, 2018)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, Dec 1, 2018.

1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It's incredible how EDF's move away from the 4-3-3 and this injury crisis has left us in a situation where we have essentially Pastore, Pellegrini, and Zaniolo fighting for one spot.

At various points and in various games throughout the season they have each been our standout player. Meanwhile we have so many holes elsewhere. What an oddly constructed team.

whill4 and Java65 repped this.
  2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I was looking around Roma twitter after this one, I see I am clearly in the minority, but I'm curious as to why others like Totti's comments to the press so much after today's game.

Yes, they will be in the papers tomorrow. Yes they will get more publicity than if Monchi, Palotta, or EDF said them. And yes, obviously he is correct. But it also just masks another larger and deeper issue at Roma. That this team conceded in what 2 minutes after that penalty wasn't given would be ridiculous if we didn't see that shit all the time from Roma. It drives me crazy, it drives you crazy. But it happens constantly.

To have Monchi or EDF making these comments to the press is one thing. To have the biggest legend in the history of Roma say it is a bigger issue. It doesn't help the mentality this team. The youngsters look up and see Totti claiming Roma is the victim. That has to an effect on a team trying to build some sort of winning mentality. That's exactly why I seeing Totti paraded out there to make these remarks.

I don't know if anyone else cares, or if I am just making something out of nothing.

Java65 repped this.
  3. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Good buzz watching in the stadium tonight. Ahh, what I'd have given for a late winner there. Once again, just like against Madrid, Zaniolo gets a big applause from the crowd when going off.

hangthadj repped this.
  4. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the 4-2-3-1 he could move one of them outside. There are a lots of examples of AM that are successful wide players. Overall you are correct it's not constructed well especially when you add Coric to the mix.

hangthadj repped this.
  5. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Positives for Me. Zaniolo, another great outing. Midfield played very well again. Schick showed signs of being the player he was at Samp. Under looked to be getting back to the player he was last year.

Our entire back line is a major concern. The CB marking was poor again and our FB give their wide player waaaaaay too much space to make crosses.

decola repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm also glad to see a 19 year old in Nicolò Zaniolo do well. Especially because of the lack of Italians playing, I'm betting he will get a senior national team call up soon.

7. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Oh for sure. I just am unsure how well that would work with this teams makeup especially on the left where Kolarov often seems disinterested in defending or tracking back. But also on the right where Florenzi runs hot and cold, though today in the final 20 minutes he was all heart.

8. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I wouldn't be opposed to trying Kolarov out at LCB and having LoPe at LB.

9. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    I dont find it at all surprising however. Creativity out of the midfield was our biggest issue last season, and likely at the top of EDFs wish list to be addressed coming into this season. Suffice to say, it has been fairly addressed, but unfortunately some other areas still have yet to be...

hangthadj repped this.
  10. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Hes already been called up once by Mancini, so hes definitely well on his way!

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He hasn't played yet though has he? I don't see a cap online.

12. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I just don't think Kolarov has the discipline to defend there at this point in his career. He's more about getting into attacking spaces and putting in the cross or a shot. He just doesn't defend.

13. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    It's a nice problem to have

14. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    No I dont believe he actually played

15. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    I applaud Florenzi's performance today as well. Had to play in an advanced role on the left side and he actually looked pretty good doing it. His work rate was top notch as usual as well.

Marco9 and TwistedJester repped this.
  16. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He done well but he missed a chance that was inexcusable. I seen it from the angle directly behind him and there are no excuses to smash it off the post from there. Our problem continues and we dont come away with 3 points. EDF has the team wanting to try for him and playing well. However these sitters and defensive brain farts haunt the season. But we go forward and can only trust the sitters wont continue to be missed. Cant be so confident on the defensive lapses though .

17. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    When the ref decides to ignore VAR as he pleases it takes away its whole purpose. Since its been in, I would say there has been between 5-10 controversial games that Roma has been involved, in many of them the misue of VAR directly affecting the final result.

This would not happen with Juve, Inter or AC Milan nearly as often. Why? They would be making noise immediately and it would be fixed in their matches going ahead. This ref today needs kicked in the cock repeatedly, he did what he could to make sure Roma lost.

Haakon24 and ErPupone repped this.
  18. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Inter’s first goal was a blatant foul on Zaniolo BTW.

DDR and Pastore have more football IQ than the rest of the team combined, we need them fit if we are going to turn around this season.

Zaniolo what a stud, Radja who? He man handled their entire midfield.

Under, great goal but he needs to get his head out of his ass. The offers clearly got to him.

Juan sucks, Olsen is meh, Schick is improving and Cristante was good for the first 60 minutes or so. Santon was weak and gave up the ball that lead to the 2nd goal.

shiboboo and Hustle and Flow repped this.
  19. Lameelaa

Lameelaa Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Zaniolo making us forget about Ninja. Possibly new favourite player.

Tottino repped this.
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #170 falvo, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Totti's two cents on pk that wasn't called. ....

21. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Andreas, whill4, shiboboo and 3 others repped this.
  22. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma

Yes I said that in the match thread. I thought it was Cristante who got flattened but it was Zaniolo. Right after he gets tripped in the box for a pen.

Agreed on Under, apart from a wonder hit, he did next to nothing yesterday. He's still a kid learning the game and is years away from being good enough to start for the teams hes been linked to. He makes a lot of errors in general play. This is similar to a young Salah a Chelsea. He need 2-3 years more to become the player he could be.

Santon, I didnt want to shit on because he was having a very solid game up to that point, one of the best on the field attacking up the wing and doing well in defense but he needs to remember he's not Maicon. Very few right backs do I want to see making a charging run through the center of the pitch, taking on players. In that moment, he turned into the Santon who everybody thought we were getting in the summer transfer thread. Keep it simple, play one twos like he did at 1-1 when he was destroying them for a 5 min period and he will be a fine squad player for years to come.

I think these refs should be put in front of the media in a press conference after a game and make them accountable for their calls. He deserves to get suspended.

shiboboo and Salmeen10 repped this.
  23. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DDR needs to move to CB, we can then sell 2 of; Mercano, JJ and Fazio. After watching Cristante and Nzonzi play together during this spell I am more convinced that ever as our MF play has improved dramatically. DDR does not have the physical tools to play DM any longer.

There have been so many times during the last few games that I watched Cristante and Nzonzi break up a play in MF or beat an opponent on the dribble and open space in the MF.

As you say DDR has a high IQ, is a great passer and still can defend in smaller spaces. What he does as a DM he does to perfection, problem is he's not asked to do much and it kills the rest of the MF.

24. muptonfish

muptonfish Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Doesn't he only have experience as a CB in a 3 man defense (with the NT, IIRC)? I'm not sure I want him playing in a 2 man defense but im not sure it can get much worse than what we have seen from Fazio and JJ

25. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yes as a libero in his day he could play that role better than anyone. Spain in the euros was one of the best I've seen so we know even at his age he's got that in him for a big game. Fazio, we shouldn't forget goes from a walking liability in a back 4 to being one of the best sweepers around himself but having 2 of them for this role in the off chance we use it now is a bit redundant. Fazio needs to leave asap which will likely be summer.