Maybe americans too big and fat for soccer

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by Olo2317, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olo2317

Olo2317 Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Before you get all in a tizzy. Think about it,most of your population is obese,starting from childhood. Once you get on that fat wagon,it's hard to get off. Most of the population prefers to be a spectator rather than a participant.Perhaps it's best to stick to american football,baseball and basketball. Your intelligent thoughts on this,please. Be polite now.

atomicbloke repped this.
  2. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reported.

Zero substance to add to our forums whatsoever.

3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that this is my favorite part of the post.

4. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F*** off.

And trust me, that's VERY polite compared to what I actually want to say.

USAsports6, Elninho and El Naranja repped this.
  5. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You were saying?

[​IMG]

Timon19, HailtotheKing and Roger Allaway repped this.
  6. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2228rank.html

US population is 310M and 33% is obese - 210M+ non obese population
    Brazil's population is 210M and 18.8% of its population is obese - 170M non obese population
    Argentina's population is 41M and it has a 29.7% population obesity - 29M non obese population
    Chile population is 17.6M people and has a 29.4% population obesity - 12.4M non obese popution

The fact is that American has as many non obese people as Brazil, Argentina, and Chile COMBINED. Do you think those countries can not play soccer because they are too fat?

7. Olo2317

Olo2317 Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Moderators not being polite...should apologize because I am bringing up a valid argument. Yes Maradona is a fat pig. However most adult males in Argentina continue to play recreational soccer well into their 50s. It's a question of doing some exercise involving soccer. Here it's all about going to a gym, if at all.

atomicbloke repped this.
  8. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at the post above, I just completely discredited the argument. The US has a 33% obese rate and Argentina has nearly a 30%. 3 percentage points is not that much, in relative terms the US and Argentina are identical when it comes to adult fitness levels.

What you are doing is taking a very limited view of things you see or your personal experiences and then placing that onto hundreds of millions of people. When you look at the actual raw data you can see that Argentina and the US are basically the same. And that the US has a enormous population of people who are not overweight. In fact they have more people who are not overweight then Brazil has in their ENTIRE population. Your argument is just ignorant. You are ignorant of the actual facts. I showed you the fact along with the government statistics. Its on you to actually educate yourself.

9. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

10. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

Whereabouts in Argentina is that?

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Not when he asks for intelligent thoughts?

12. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, definitely the "Be polite now" in a thread entitled "Maybe Americans too big and fat for soccer."

13. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soooo....why has this post not been locked yet? This post is bringing nothing to the discussion except to troll, and it's still being allowed to stand?

Srsly?

Master O repped this.
  14. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get used to it. I'm not going to be polite when you ask a colossally insulting question.

15. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
  16. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
  17. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
  18. Olo2317

Olo2317 Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's just an observation from having lived in both Argentina and the United States. People in the United States are very big(tall,big boned)and often obese. I can understand why the general public would prefer to associate with baseball and football. Futhermore american adults don't play soccer recreationally. There's too much of a couch potato mentality. Folks prefer to stay home and binge watch tv,Netflix etc...or go to bars and drink. And that's a fact,whether you like it or not.

atomicbloke repped this.
  19. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Are you going to address 4door's post?

20. Olo2317

Olo2317 Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Yes there are fat slobs in Argentina also, you happy now.

21. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Need a hug? Messi is going to be fine and ready for "the Copa". Don't worry, it's going to be alright.

22. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Mexico has a higher obesity level than the US yet they still manage to produce some mighty good players. This is despite them having a lower population.

23. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody else miss the negative rep option on bigsoccer?

Americans aren't as good at soccer currently because soccer isn't ingrained in our culture and we have such a vast sporting infrastructure where there are a plethora of different sports for kids to choose from growing up. This leads to a sporting diversification and the entire country doesn't focus on just 1 or 2 main sports. It's not uncommon of for kids to play 3 to 4 different sports during a year (or more) instead of just playing soccer all year round.

Master O repped this.
  24. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most American adults don't play soccer recreationally because they didn't play soccer growing up. Go to a basketball court and you will find plenty of American adults playing hoops.

25. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    I think this is very regional. In the upper midwest there are hockey leagues. In the population centers there are indoor basketball leagues and street hoop. In the PNY and Southwest as well as on the east coast you find adult soccer leagues. It varies. People don't seem to understand that there is not "american culture" . More like 10 different cultures. The only thing in common I can remember from when I was in the south to now on the west coast is TV and tackle football being popular. The food, sporting culture, vernacular and mindset are all different in general. It's more like 10 countries in one split into 50 states. In some places soccer is big time and in others it's only something children are playing. People don't get that. I digress.

Martininho and The One X repped this.