Mauricio Cienfuegos at LA academy

Discussion in 'MLS: Youth & Development' started by Clint Eastwood, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2011/0...enfuegos-named-technical-coach-galaxy-academy

The LA Galaxy announced today that Mauricio Cienfuegos has been hired as a technical coach for the LA Galaxy Academy. Cienfuegos, 43, who led the club to its first MLS Cup championship in 2002 and three titles in his eight years with the Galaxy, will work primarily with attacking players within the younger age groups of the Galaxy Academy.

Cienfuegos’ main focus will be on best practices and techniques for attacking players, including body movement, body positioning, utilizing the different parts of the foot, and when and how to utilize them, among other facets of an attacking player’s game.

This is EXACTLY the kind of hire that MLS youth clubs and academies should be making. I have no idea if Mauricio is a good coach or teacher, but he sure could play this game.

2. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    If he can at a minimum teach them the way he played the game it would be great for those kids.

3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Plus, he can look players right in the eye.

La Trucha repped this.
  4. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm surprised they didn't do it sooner.

5. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    He wasn't as well qualified as Kenny Arena.

6. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Next up someone needs to bring in GBS.

7. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesn't want to coach a youth team. He has stated he only wants to coach the first team. Although he is running some camps in Ohio this summer.

8. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    I thought him and Padulla were starting their own (somewhere in Ohio)?

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. GBS will be in high demand in Argentina, and hopefully MLS for a head coaching position. In other words he'll be offered more prestigious & higher paying gigs than as an MLS youth coach.

Cienfuegos is a different story. All I know about his post-MLS career was that for a while he was coaching for a Salvadoran second division team. ( I don't know if he was the head coach or not). In effect, Cienfuegos was available.....and probably willing to take the type of salary given to a youth technical advisor in MLS.

Another former player of this ilk who actually might be available is Marco Etcheverry.

I will stress that these guys may have been great players, but it's really unknown whether they can be good coaches/teachers for youth players.

10. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are running camps/clinics and not a team. Most would love GBS back in a coaching role but he want's the HC position and doesn't seem like Clark Hunt will give it to him

11. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Are there any recent news regarding Cienfuegos' progress with the Galaxy academy, or any way to keep with him? I would like to see him, one day, elevate his coaching career and coach a senior professional club.

footballfantatic repped this.