Matko Miljevic at Argentinos Juniors

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    No me acordaba, mis disculpas.

2. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    Miljevic is starting against Lanús, the game starts in 5 minutes.

3. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    jnielsen, Gacm32 and Chaliaaaj repped this.
  4. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    On Saturday, Argentinos Juniors started playing very sloppy, losing 2-0 in 23 minutes. They scored off a penalty, then a shot was saved on the line by the goalkeeper and on the rebound a defender saved the shot. They were losing 2-1 at halftime.

Second half: they were pressing Lanús who was playing defensively and waiting to see if they could do a counterattack until... idiot LB went on a very hard tackle inside the penalty area. Lanús wound up winning 4-1.

Miljevic did start, but the team played the worst game under the current coach. Next game is for the tournament, Saturday at 11:30AM PST

UniversalAdvice and Winoman repped this.
  5. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    Argentinos won today 1-0 on the road against Godoy Cruz. Miljevic didn't play today, but the team played much better than the other day.

In Argentina they have the relegation system of percentages, so while now they're tied for 2nd place they need to keep on adding points to not be relegated to 2nd Division. As of right now, it's only 8 points with one more game.

6. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    An interesting system. Is the point not to allow rich clubs to get relegated based on a fluky poor season? What happens if newly promoted team finishes the last and doesn't have seasons to average?

7. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    In 1983 they implemented this system because in 1981, Argentinos Juniors beat San Lorenzo 1-0 and San Lorenzo got relegated. River Plate almost got relegated back then, but by implementing this system, they were saved. And Boca was also so poor and bad that on one game they literally had to use markers to write players numbers LOL

When a team goes up to 1st Division, they also enter that system and they have to get enough points to stay in 1st Division.

For those of you who don't understand it, you have to add the points from two years and divide it by the games played and that gives you a magical number that determines if you stay in 1st division or not. In Argentinos Juniors situation, there's a projected table for next season where they MUST keep adding points to start next season with a nice cushion. This is why, as much as the elimination from the Sudamericana Cup stung I was partially ok with it so the team can focus only on the tournament.

8. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    Attached are the tables: the first one are the standings, the one underneath is the relegation table and next to that one is the relegation table for next season.

Attached Files:

Thundering165 repped this.
  9. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Still tightenin' up, I believe.

Fun fact, usc tailback Ricky Bell is/was the cousin of Archie Bell and mildly threatened not to play in the Rose Bowl if Archie Bell and the Drells were not going to be the half-time show.

10. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    Today at 5:10 Argentinos Juniors plays at home against Central Córdoba de Santiago del Estero (I know, short name). If they win, they'll be in 1st place with one more game played.

felloveranddidanadu and edcrocker repped this.
  11. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018

Argentinos Juniors won 3-1, currently in 2nd place depending on the score between Talleres and Gimnasia de La Plata (the team Maradona is coaching) who play in a couple of hours.

Next game is on Monday, on the road against Colón.

Miljevic didn't play, he was on the bench. It was very odd because the coach didn't make a sub until the 85th minute!

12. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
  13. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    Not sure if he's starting, but he will be there for today's game.

Winoman repped this.
  14. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Subbed on in the 67th minute with Argentinos Jrs down 1-0

Gacm32, edcrocker, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  15. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    Unfortunately they lost to dirty Colón 1-0. Why dirty? They came in dominating the game for the 1st 15 minutes of the game and, magically, the lights went off. The lights came back on a few minutes later and Colón scored off a lucky goal from a corner kick.

After that, Argentinos played very sloppy, one of those games where everything goes wrong.

Next game is on Saturday at 9:10AM PST against Arsenal. I wonder if Miljevic and Soñora will play?

UniversalAdvice and Thundering165 repped this.
  16. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arch Bell writes about the possibility of a Matko vs. Joel match:

https://us.marca.com/claro/futbol/argentina/2019/10/03/5d963de322601d17118b45ff.html

For the 23-year-old Dallas-born player, the fact that two US-born players face demonstrates that there is American football talent everywhere."I think it shows that the players do not only play in the MLS or in Europe, that we have players here in Argentina as well. It is good for the country," Socella told MARCA.

But the first was Renato Corsi , who was born in New York and was part of the historic Argentines Junors who proclaimed champion of the Copa Libertadores 1985 and made a great match against Juventus in the Intercontinental Cup that year.

Corsi is very proud that there are so many Yankee players in Argentine football.

"It seems barbaric," Corsi told MARCA. "I was the first American player and I am very happy for those guys. They play very well and I hope they arrive more in the future, " Corsi finished.

jnielsen, Chaliaaaj, sakibomb523 and 3 others repped this.
  18. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
  19. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018

I think Corsi said "me parece bárbaro" and the translation was "barbaric". He meant to say "I think it's fantastic".

20. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    This kid should've been invited to the U-23 camp. Tons of potential.

bballshawn repped this.
  21. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    If he had, would his club have been obliged to let him go?

22. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    Kind of odd that the Brazilian guy came out of nowhere for the callup and matko failed to come out of slightly less nowhere

23. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess? I think both will end up with the U-20’s.

Cardoso was actually recruited by Berhalter who referred him to Kreis. That doesn’t mean he’s better than Matko. Again, I think Cardoso will come down to the 20’s with Matko because the U-23 midfield pool is deep.

There’s been a lot of talk among fans with having YNT prospects play “up” age groups. That’s quite hard to do at the U-23 level. Matko and Cardoso are eligible for the 2024 U-23s and the 2021 U-20s. That’s a full plate in front of them. I don’t think there is a rush for the 2020 U-23s

24. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    Argentinos Juniors won 2-1!

Miljevic and Soñora didn't play.

For now, Argentinos Juniors is tied in 1st place with Boca, who play tomorrow.

Next game is a very difficult game: Monday, October 21st at 5PM PST (because of FIFA games, the tournament stops for 2 weeks) against Independiente on the road.

25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does the Argentine league compare with, say, the Mexican league when they play in copa libertadores?