Matip

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by delaynomo, Nov 20, 2016.

1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's just it, agreed on Can. The defensive issues often start higher up the pitch - in the midfield. PL teams know how to play us and string together passes that take advantage of our defenders' weaknesses far too easily. If Klopp buys a high end defender, then moves Matip up to DM in Hendo or even Wijnaldum's role, I'd like to see how that looked. If Can and Wijnaldum become depth, Hendo gets a ball winning partner who can spring an attack, I'd be much happier with depth in the middle of the park.

2. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I was thinking I would rather see Can at CB instead of Lucas.

3. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    in his first season he played in the back 4 - RB I think - and did very well, for a while anyway. I'd rather see us place a natural CB in there instead of trying to convert one.

Sakho pissing the club off repeatedly and getting shipped out is proving to be a bigger problem than I, for one, thought it would be.

4. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Think Can also played on the right side of a back three?

Still think Sakho would probably have been our second best CB (behind Matip).

5. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can's best position is a seat in the Main Stand. He shouldn't be on the field.

6. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That's a bit harsh...although after last night's game, I am starting to call him Cannot

7. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He's only just turned 23 ...........

Wingtips1 repped this.
  8. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he's 23 then it's a good time to sell him. Matip is a great example - he's been first team since 18. Most of the time for field players, you have it or you don't.

9. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #34 delaynomo, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    I think Can is good enough to be in our squad. The problem is we lack a top class CM (or possibly DM) to make the others look better.

Henderson, Can, Lallana, Wijnaldum are all decent enough players but none of them is really a "star". Put another way, if we were behind in a game and those were our bench options, you would not be full of optimism that they could turn it around. Compare to an "in their prime" Gerrard, Toure, Viera etc ....... that's a whole different ball game. You see one of them coming off the bench and you think anything is still possible, and maybe more importantly so do their team mates.

In the last decade we have had a number of talismans who could be relied on to single handedly change a game - Gerrard, Torres, Suarez - even when the rest of the team was sub par. But who do we have now? Coutinho and Mane are probably the closest but they are far from consistent.

(Incidently, I always thought a top team needs three of this type of player who can change a game. In recent years we have only ever had two at a time ........)

ryered repped this.
  10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    agree with all of that Delay.

11. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #36 ryered, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    "A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
    - Bill Shankly

A lot of very good piano movers, but no piano players other than Mane and he can't do it alone. I'd include Coutinho and Firmino in the strong support player category - they are first teamers but like Lallana they can go missing too often. I know there are needs for strengthening all over the pitch but I'd start with MF. Remember The Greatest Midfield in the World?

Fussballer repped this.
  12. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #37 zaqualung, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    i still think this particular disaster would not have happened if he had played, and we would perhaps not have had a couple of the others without this one, and consequently would be now challenging the West London Pox .....

In other words, I love this guy...

13. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    he has to be the most underrated defender (not just CB) in the Prem. puts in - at worst - solid unspectacular and reliable performances week after week. does things Maguire can only dream of.

15. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He's good, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. He's in no way underrated. For him to be underrated he'd have to be a top-5 defender in the league, and he isn't.
    He's exactly the type of player that is needed in a trophy challenging squad, but let's be honest about what he is not: a player that is a lynchpin, that is a building block.
    He's the Ronnie Johnsen of our team right now.

16. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Oh I think he has been underrated largely because of his injury woes which have not allowed him to have extended runs in the team. So he gets written off as this unreliable cb when in fact whenever he's been able to play he consitsently performs at a high level. No doubt thats why Jurgen chooses him for his #1 partnership with Virg.
    I'm hoping that now we have Gomez/Konate that we'll see a regular rotation which may allow Matip to avoid some of these niggling injuries .

17. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    he's underrated because if he does something skillful at either end of the pitch it almost always gets ignored whereas other CBs would have the media creaming themselves.

18. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Again, I'm not saying he's bad. He's a good (that's all he is) and dependable center back.
    The best teams don't have to have the best XI players. There are plenty of players that fill a job and just get on with it without all the hoopla or praise because they are just good.

And Gini kind of falls into this camp, too. A very talented player that was the a player who slotted perfectly into our system and alongside our stars. Was he underrated because he wasn't considered amongst the best 7 or 8 CM's in the world? Nope.

They're both rated as they deserve to be - very good players in a great team, performing the exact roles the team needs of them.

19. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    newterp repped this.
  20. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Matip is absolutely one of (if not THE) most underrated players in the Premier League.

if an English CB was doing what he does, game after game, the media would drool over him non-stop.

but his excellent displays are, for some weird reason, taken for granted. part of it is he's a no-fuss player. all he needs is to slam the ball into the net after one of his 30-yard dribbles, that might get him the attention he should be getting.

bayred, speker and LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  21. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Joel Matip signed for free. Harry Maquire 85 mil . :)

soccershaggy, delaynomo and bayred repped this.
  22. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Matip is just the kind of player I really enjoy - no nonsense, quality, gets the job done and has that occasional bit of brilliance...

Don't talk him up too much - I think he is fine with that ;)

SamScouse repped this.
  23. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Matip is the ideal LFC player and the ideal Klopp player when fit. No fuss, great skills and game awareness, fits perfectly into the team and concept. Reminds me of a Dirk Kuyt type - unheralded but gets the job done, does the work. The Liverpool ethic.

CB-West and delaynomo repped this.
  24. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  25. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC