Matchday: Liverpool vs. Chelsea

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kazuma, Jan 31, 2017.

1. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    It was a PK, but Costa def embellished.

2. Cletis

Cletis Member+

Jul 12, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm happy Conte continues to pull Eden when he's not interested - something no previous manager would do but that has been sorely needed for several years now. Great player, no excuse for him routinely checking out of big games. I'm very happy to get a point at Anfield, despite the fact that it could easily have been 3.

Dtrip77 repped this.
  3. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It's mirrored to prevent copyright removal.

That said, I doubt Courtois leaves (Keep in mind De Gea will be linked) and the same can be said for Hazard. Last season and the season before it was PSG.

Now if we can upgrade fullback in the summer...

Blueallthru repped this.
  4. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    What's wrong with Alonso? I thought he was solid defensively and crosses well. Moses I agree on the update

5. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Alonso is so slow. He's really good zinging those balls in there though. I'm not sure he's the greatest defender either. I feel like he is often out of position.

6. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Visually, he doesn't give fans the most confidence. But what he lacks in speed and agility, he does make up for in positioning, technical skill (countless cross field passes - pinpoint accuracy), and heart.

I think we need an upgrade because next season will have more pressure. We'll have hopefully been crowned chapions and have European football. We need better depth. But he has given Conte all you could ask for and more. Quality signing.

Blueallthru repped this.
  7. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Alonso and Moses have been exposed for being pretty average. The system is bailing this team out, full credit to Conte.

Bruckner283 repped this.
  8. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    not to mention we need depth there anyway, so might as well try to get as good a player as we can get there and let the players battle it out. though i do think Ake will be good enough in this team, i'm just not sure where. that left sided CB could be a good spot for him, but he'd be good at wingback as well i think.

Blueallthru repped this.
  9. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I think they're better than average, but they're limited. Moses is super athletic, but has occasional defensive lapses and has trouble with his end product and decision making in the attacking half. He often wins the ball and makes good runs, but his crosses tend are awful. Alonso has the opposite problem - he's a very disciplined player, but he lacks anything close to elite level athleticism. That prevents him from running in behind nearly as much and also leaves our left side more vulnerable to very fast players (partially due to Cahill as well, who's been our weakest defender this season). Given that Conte's system is fairly rigid, I'd rather upgrade Moses than Alonso, but we'll see what happens. Willian and Azipilicueta can both play RWB.

Wrath repped this.
  10. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    For me, Willian as RWB and an upgrade up front (Sanchez...yeah not happening) will take us there. I want us to keep Willian because he brings many positives but not as the 3rd attacker.

11. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This x100138309482039470924057092345

So frustrating. Surprised him at RWB has not been attempted.

12. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Would Felipe Luiz have been better if he stayed? Or Bertrand?

13. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Definitely.

Not that Alonso is bad, Luis is just a good step above imo. Felipe Luis' lack of game time under Jose was beyond perplexing. Ivanovic was in horror form with Azpi playing on the left. Had Ivan been dropped much earlier on, I don't have much doubt Luis would have become our starting LB.

Bertrand I rate more highly than Alonso as well, but not to the same degree.

14. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    agreed on Luis. that whole situation was just weird. wasted money and opportunity all around.

Bertrand is harder to say. but he's a player i didn't really want to see go for sure.

at the end of they day, Alonso has done nothing but impress me since his arrival. his major downside is a lack of pace. but his left foot is quality and he's tactically very aware.

Blueallthru repped this.
  15. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I really doubt it. At this point Felipe Luis is too old - he's 31 - and fullbacks tend to have very bad aging curves; when they get older, they fall off a cliff. Look at Nacho at your club, or all of the City fullbacks who're all around 31 and looked as cooked as Ivanovic has the last two years. Buying Luis was a bizarre move in the first place.

Bertrand remains a limited player in a very English way. He runs fast and crosses, but will never have that much more to his game. Very solid, but he's exactly where he should be. I'll always be thankful that he started the CL final for us (amazing, that), but I have no regrets that he was sold.

Serengeti_Boy, Bruckner283 and Wrath repped this.