Matchday 9: ORLvNYR

Discussion in 'Orlando City SC' started by Macsen, May 6, 2016.

1. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still plenty of good seats available. It wouldn't surprise me if this were a low water mark for this season.

2. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    The Friday games are attendance killers. I think even lower than the Wednesday games.

3. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Still looks like 30k to me. The lower tier is all but completely sold out, that's 25k. I'd guess around 5,000 sold in the middle tier, and several hundred to a thousand walk up due to the nice weather. I think we'll edge out the Chicago game attendance.

4. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Year over year attendance looks pretty good. Last year, May 8th, Friday home game, Ted Unkel the ref (how weird is that?) and attendance was 27k. We should beat that easily. I'm thinking an overall small attendance bump for City this year.

5. UCFWayne

UCFWayne Member

United States
    Apr 22, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anything lower than 27k for OCSC is a just sad. Its a beautiful day out right now. Hope we get a lot of walk ups.

6. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether we do or not, Friday is also the worst day for the "fashionably late" crowd.

7. UCFWayne

UCFWayne Member

United States
    Apr 22, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as they show up, they are still counted. Might look fairly sparce at the start of the game, but by half time it will look pretty good.

Also have to remember, most MLS clubs would kill to have our low numbers. ;)

8. Guy Everett

Guy Everett Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at Ticket Master now - they have the 'limited number of tickets' sign posted for tonight. I'm guessing we hit the 30,000 mark.

For the game itself, looks like everyone should be there....although not sure if Molino can go 90. Would love to see the following:

Bendik
    Ramos/Redding/Hines/Shea
    Higuita/Ceren
    Molino/Nocerino/Kaka
    Larin

But my guess is:

Bendik
    Ramos/Mateos/Hines/Shea
    Higuita/Ceren
    Winter/Nocerino/Kaka
    Larin

9. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    My guess is:

Bendik
    Ramos/Mateos/Hines/Shea
    Higuita/Ceren
    Winter/Kaka/Molino
    Larin

But I'd rather see Mateos and Redding instead of Hines.

10. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Actually, the guy from Channel 9 tweeted that Kaka and Molino are starting tonight.

11. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did one of the Spanish commentators really say this was the worst officiated match he's ever seen? Because I could believe it.

UCFWayne and FLSoccerGran repped this.
  12. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Maybe. The guy in the last NYRB game was worse. It is truly amazing we have seen so much bad officiating in only nine games of soccer.

FLSoccerGran repped this.
  13. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's becoming difficult to accept it as simple incompetence too.

14. Guy Everett

Guy Everett Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #14 Guy Everett, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
    Well, that was fun last night (sarcasm...)..actually it was interesting. Although I will say Unkel is just plain bad, this tie was more on us...or should I say on Larin. He had at least 4 if not 5 opportunities to score and he missed on all of them. Just a really bad night on his part. And oh so lazy. Every time he misses an offensive chance, he slowly walks back, basically leaving himself in an off side position for 30 to 45 seconds....see the overturn of the PK!

I will also say, the Red Bulls are just a punk team....just plan dirty. And Kljestan...King Punk!

15. Guy Everett

Guy Everett Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, 31,000+. Truly amazing!

UCFWayne and BigData repped this.
  16. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Well, the Red Bulls think we are a dirty, punk team. So I blame Unkel for not knowing how to control a game.

As for Larin, I think he's far from lazy. The guy works like crazy, he even saved us on defense a couple of times. For a big guy like that, he might be the hardest working striker in the league.. Molino doesn't score without Larin putting it all out there. But, yes, he missed multiple easy chances last night.

UCFWayne repped this.
  17. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    And that should be one of our lowest attendance figures of the season.

18. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lazy would be not even having those chances in the first place.

19. Guy Everett

Guy Everett Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe lazy is a bit harsh, but he was bad habit that once a play is done, he stands around and slowly walks back to an on-side position, in essence removing himself from play for that time period. That is why the PK was withdrawn..per the AR he started in an off side position to get back into the play.

20. Leondecollao

Leondecollao Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Gotta agree on this one. Larin really does have a bad habit of giving up on plays and it drives me up the wall. He's given up on plenty of plays that weren't over once his dribble didn't work out or he was dispossessed. I feel he works hard to get into position but does a bad job of following through.

UCFWayne repped this.
  21. Guy Everett

Guy Everett Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will walk back my point on the PK. After watching the replay of the play, that was a bad call. Larin could not be offside on that call, since the person fouling him was BETWEEN Larin and the goal. I'm guessing the AR called another OCSC player (I could not see his name) offside, but that player was never in the play.

I will still stand my point on his bad habit of slowly rejoining the flow of play.

22. Guy Everett

Guy Everett Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final comment, then onto Sporting KC....Adrian, did you not learn from Ben Olsen? Really.......

23. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Hines was the player offside, clearly. And Hines actually headed the ball.

However, as explained on mlssoccer.com, the two things really occurred simultaneously. Larin was being fouled as the ball was being passed to Hines in the offside position. In that situation, the foul on Larin should override the offside call.

But it was a close call, and I think Unkel and the AR appropriately conferred on a difficult call. So I'm not really going to put a lot of blame on them for getting that one wrong. Not when there were a raft of other mistakes. I was a bit harsh on Collin earlier in the game when I thought the yellow was legit. Watching that one over again, it doesn't look like a yellow to me.

24. BigData

BigData Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Heath has been playing the game or coaching almost 50 years. Taking a ball out of play is something that you just do without thinking about it. All the way down to youth leagues when you start playing. We must be the only league in the world that would suspend someone for this. Absolutely absurd suspension, for both Olsen and Heath.

25. Guy Everett

Guy Everett Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you have to wonder about the DisCo. Terrible referring all around and all they can point to is a coach getting the out of bound ball back to a player. Particularly at the Citrus Bowl, where the coach has very little room on the sideline. Technically, the ruling is correct, since the Law book clearly states a player or coach cannot enter the field of play...but come on....common sense people!

I had to laugh watching Atletico v Bayern last week. Simeone was actually 10 yards out on the field breaking a up a pushing match between two players...different leagues I guess :)