Matchday 8, The Arsenal v. AFC Bournemouth, 6 October 2019

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalJake, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    For Kola today was a good performance because usually he is a beyond awful defender. I really don't like this current back 4 they are so poor. Doesn't help that the midfield Xhaka in particular allows acres of space for the opposition and we get overrun constantly.

2. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah baby! Converted a six pointer against our main rival just one point below us in the table. Or _was_ one point below us I should say. Bournemouth who?

Super Llama repped this.
  3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Kola was trash imo

Often out if position, guen often had to cover st lb

4. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah maybe, but I don't think so. A couple of years ago, Gazidis had a big title and a big paycheck but not very much meaningful authority. The Kroenke's were pretty disinterested, and Wenger had longstanding ties to the fan base to support his corporate politics. None of those things are true now.

Raul and Edu are the main decisionmakers at the club. Raul desperately needs Arsenal to finish top four this year to justify some of the decisions he's made, but he doesn't have any meaningful obligation to "reward" Emery if that does happen if he's not the right man to move the club forward. In fact, some of the AKBs feel vindicated because Emery is so bad (lolz) so they're not going to do anything for Emery.

We can fire Emery today as far as I'm concerned as long as we have a decent replacement lined up.

chjoak and Walia Ibex repped this.
  5. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Raul is that motivated to get top 4 it may be in his interest to act sooner rather than later assuming he can get someone good (Allegri) now. This season looks alot like the season that we took 2nd behind Leicester. We have no shot at 1st but everything behind Liverpool looks wide open. Don't see Emery capitalizing on that. If he remains the manager for the entire season and we make top 4 it will be by pure luck.

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is Emery's post-match presser from today:

It's challenging to understand him sometimes and to parse the meaning, but he said some interesting things, including:

* He was happy with 1T and it was close to what he had wanted, but not 2T
    * He wanted us to control the ball more in 2T but we struggled to do that
    * He wanted & wants us to play in EPL like we did against Forest & Liege, even if the competition levels aren't exactly the same

There's definitely still some lingering questions of where accountability lies for our poor performances, e.g. 2T today, and whether the coach and the players are completely on the same page, but I took positive(s) from what he said post-match.

We shall see. The proof is in the pudding.

Onward with @ArsenalJake!

7. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    If you want the EPL team to play like the team in the Forest and Liege matches, you need to have the back 4 involving Tierney, Bellerin, Holding and Chamber, and you have to dump Xhaka from the midfield.

The kids in the midfield are agile, quick and move on at all costs. Our EPL team at times has been titanic in its movement.

8. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I just want the respect I'm owed for believing in Chambers. I'll take it in rep, thanks.

Shen-O, danielh and Tonerl repped this.
  9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup!! And I'm ever so slightly optimistic about this, because:

1) Baring further setbacks, I think we might see Holding & Tierney starting against Sheffield, if not Palace. And Bellerin seems close behind them. The only tricky decision for Emery is which one of Sokratis or Luiz to drop.

2) Those comments Emery made yesterday showed me that he is watching & listening to how his team played in the cups compared to the league.

The one thing that I'm not sure he'll be "brave" enough to do is drop Xhaka or move him upfield.

But in 2 weeks it will all start to be revealed.

10. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Moving Xhaka upfield negates his best attribute, his passing range. If you are going to play Xhaka as an attacking midfielder because you want to carry a poor defender in that position, you are better off sitting Xhaka and carrying Ozil defensively, he is a much better attacking player.

Shen-O repped this.
  11. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    My take on the game and the near term return of Holding, Bellerin, and Tierney is that the defense looks like it will improve, but Arsenal still aren't creating enough chances offensively.

Shen-O, mebeSajid and wanye_stirrear repped this.
  12. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't recall which one, but on one of the Arsenal podcasts yesterday, the data showed that most of Xhaka's passes were lateral than forward, and forward passing was/is a strength of his. In general they said we don't have anyone who's really making the forward pass through the middle that really splits the defense and creates scoring chances. My memory seems to support that view.

13. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Which top teams pass through the midfield at the moment? I'm pretty sure it's a dead tactic, teams bypass midfield play( passing from CB to FB/wingers) or have dribblers who are press immune and dribble through the line. Which is what pissed me off the most about letting Iwobi go.

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe.

I don't think Xhaka is effectively "negated" by playing a bit higher up. He's still a decent passer, just the profile of passes would change a bit. That said, honestly I'd vote for removing him entirely but I'm 99% sure that Emery won't want to do that (barring injury) which is why I said "move him upfield" to accommodate Torreira at the base.

Anyway, this discussion is probably a waste of time because Emery is gonna do what Emery is gonna do. Hope he proves me wrong though!

15. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Xhaka is negated by the fact that Arsenal don't have enough possession under Emery. He's much more valuable when Arsenal have the ball and are camped in the other team's half.