PBP: Matchday 6: A13.France - Norway

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Gilmoy, Jun 12, 2019.

1. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Yea, I don't like these PK calls. The Norwegian player played the ball and accidentally kicked the French player who was coming in on the ball. It looked rather bad in slow-motion because she didn't get all the ball, but I don't think you should lose a game because of an accidental kick--and we've now seen it happen twice.

As for the game, Norway was well organized and physical, and their physical play was effective at times. That said, France controlled play for longish spells and put far more pressure on the Norway goal than vice versa. Norway had to defend a lot, and they did a pretty good job of it.

59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  2. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Norway deserved a point tonight They look a good team and play some decent football

3. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless, she kicked the player coming in - saying she isn't responsible for striking the other player like that because she got the ball first is not right under the Laws of the Game.

Similar, a player making a reckless tackle, but getting the ball first, can still be called for a foul.

4. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    He pointed a finger at her and was seriously mad about her decision apparently although he claimed in an interview later that he didn't see what happened during the pen situation lol

5. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Think it would have inspired Renard to try a bicycle kick for her second own goal?

6. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yep, and if I'm not wrong Norway is the first nation to have men and women national team equal pay.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  7. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    I'm a bit undecided about this one because Syrstad Engen got so little of the ball, and the ball was far closer to Torrent than it was to Spanish player, which makes a clearing action in Syrstad Engen's case more questionable. However, they are the same situation in principle. (I was left wondering why the US-Thailand ref never went to the screen for either Mewis' or Horan's shout after watching Steinhaus go to the screen. Hoping it was just because it was US-Thailand and not because she was being unreasonably set in her opinion.)

8. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    But this wasn’t reckless or even careless. Your foot has to go somewhere and when a player dramatically changes their position with a two-footed jump directly into the path of your follow through, what can you do?

Did you listen postgame to Ariana? She was spot on

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, you do? :p

blissett repped this.
  10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    me too! got the feeling they didn't even want that penalty, So thank U Steinhaus for making them take that it!(and ESL for having too much pride not to miss it)

lol

11. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    #111 Ethan Frank, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    I don't know if I entirely agree with you on the call, but Torrent's lunge would have looked bad if she caught someone.

Edit: Okay, I've just seen the play again above. My memory was off. The ball is clearly already out of Torrent's control before she gets hit and goes down, she was further from the ball than I remembered, and Torrent had the far worse looking challenge out of the two. Syrstad Engen needed to get more of the ball, but no way she could have pulled out with Torrent coming in like that. Did the VAR clip go back far enough to show the full extent of Torrent's two footed challenge? No penalty in my opinion as well at the moment.

Edit: Another viewing. It's poor contact from Syrstad Engen, but she cleanly gets the ball first. I originally thought she cleared the ball right off/close to Torrent's foot. Not the case. Syrstad Engen gets the clearance off; Torrent just blocks the ball and was never in control. Either I was just not focused earlier, or the VAR clip used did not show the full picture. (Most likely the first, but Steinhaus doesn't have that excuse as a very experienced ref.)

Sport Billy repped this.
  12. dmax316

dmax316 Member

Jun 25, 2011
    United States
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ada is protesting...i'm behind her 100%

13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is a plutonium rock band?

14. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    When Michael J Fox played guitar in Back to the Future? :p

soccernutter repped this.
  15. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't think it's a good way to do it, especially Norway did make equal pay.

59Amerinorsk and Sport Billy repped this.
  16. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    She isn't responsible in this case because it was a natural follow through, and she couldn't pull out because of how Torrent came in. Take another look at the play, and determine who had the reckless, two footed lunge on the ball. Yeah, not Syrstad Engen. It was Torrent.

Sport Billy repped this.
  17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus she kicked the ball first. I thought the first was okay, but this one was wrong.

Sport Billy repped this.
  18. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I think most people are supportive of her goal, just not her method.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    When you are on a long flight and the stewardess ignores you whilst with the drinks tray

[​IMG]

soccernutter, blissett and law10 repped this.
  20. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Legend ^^

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that, and it is very, very close. It is difficult to tell whose foot really touched the ball first. In a case like this, though, I think the err should be toward the attacking team (France).

22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great scott, I was not expecting that answer.

CoachJon and Sport Billy repped this.
  23. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Syrstad Engen got there first and clearly kicks the ball off of Torrent's foot. However, let's assume that it was very close. I'm not going to err towards the attacking team when the attacking team's player only got to the vicinity of the ball thanks to a wild two footed jump and the defending team's player was just going through a standard clearance motion.

blissett repped this.
  24. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Okay, I’ve confused “err” with benefit of the doubt. Still don’t think it’s really that close, but you can ignore my comment above. Apologies.

25. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Disaster Area was a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones and was generally regarded as not only the loudest rock band in the Galaxy, but also as being the loudest noise of any kind at all. Regular concert goers judged that the best sound balance was usually to be heard from within large concrete bunkers some thirty-seven miles away from the stage, whilst the musicians themselves played their instruments by remote control from within a heavily insulated spaceship which stayed in orbit around the planet - or more frequently around a completely different planet.

"Their songs are on the whole very simple and mostly follow the familiar theme of boy-being meets girl-being beneath silvery moon, which then explodes for no adequately explored reason.

"Many worlds have now banned their act altogether, sometimes for artistic reasons, but most commonly because the band's public address system contravenes local strategic arms limitations treaties."
    ---- Douglas Adams, The Reataurant at the End of the Universe

[​IMG]

blissett and soccernutter repped this.