PBP: Matchday 5: F12.USA - Thailand

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Gilmoy, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Dude...the rest of the post is pretty good, but what the ******** here?

Do you not understand the history of Asian conflict through time? Do you really think there's some sort of "SEC-like" camaraderie to the point of mutual revenge? Really?

I won't say what vibe I'm REALLY getting from this goofy theory of yours.

2. SACule377

SACule377 New Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Certainly not anti-American bias from me. Me not liking the USWNT is about the sport. I just like Thailand unlike most posters here. My issue isnt that the US team was scoring goals it was the celebrations like others have said.

3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    FIFA official highlights of the match: I can't believe that they managed to cram all the 13 goals in it without breaking their 2:11 minutes policy! :eek: Very classy that, even within these constraints, they managed to squeezed in a final picture of Morgan soothing a crying Miranda Nild:

kennytt and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  4. threemileallan

Jun 17, 2006
    She is seen as the next big thing? I hadnt heard of her until this match, but since her and Morgans interaction Ive watched some videos on her. I never got the impression she was someone with potential. She mentuons a few times she just hopes to keep playi g professionally and that this is a springboard

5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, I didn't know about her either, but a website had inserted on a list of players to watch at this World Cup (see quote below) and her story could be found on multiple medias:

6. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #106 MiLLeNNiuM, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    What just happened? The paragraph posted above is just waaaaayyy tooooo long.
    Try putting a few lines between thoughts to make it more readable, please.

7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am sure it has to have been already mentioned somewhere on these boards, but I guess 13-0 is a record score in the history of the Women's World Cup. The closest one was a Germany-Argentina 11-0 in 20017, I guess, but that's it. :coffee:

MiLLeNNiuM and orcrist repped this.
  8. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like this statement.

9. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OMG - look at those heathens still celebrating after the 8th goal! :eek:

10. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    More than any other US team, in any sport, the USWNT has been marketed as role models for young players.

I’m surprised they didn’t call off the dogs and avoid the celebrations because young players a) witness this and b) have to endure it sometimes.

99% of youth coaches would never run up a 13-0 score and most would tell players to stay calm after scoring in a lopsided game.

Most teams are taking the air out of the game at 5-0 or so in the scond half...letting it get to 13 would cause some blowback during and after most games.

11. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe that's why they are youth coaches, and not coaching in the WWC.

BlueCrimson and glennaldo_sf repped this.
  12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That the women primarily are marketed to young players (I know this isn't what you said, but it largely is true) is a huge problem and I think the US women are well aware of it. I think they are saying that's a bunch of BS and they're not going to go along with it. If it means some people will hate them, that's tough, who cares, let's get the passions going like they go for men's professional sports. Maybe then, they won't be playing for what is peanuts compared to what men's professional athletes get paid. The more I think about this, the better it seems. Love it, hate it, let the fires rage.

13. Stevie Blue

Stevie Blue Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Aug 10, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    What bearing does the conduct of a different set of people in a very different circumstance have on this particular event?

15. footyfan933

footyfan933 Member

Jun 6, 2019
    I think I watched a documentary on WC 2014 some years ago where German players said to themselves during half time they would not start playing provocatively or celebrating extensively in front of the crowd. That they would just continue playing an honest game. Brazilian crowd started cheering them on after the 7-0.

Thats what professionals would have done. As a result: no further public discussion.

Different people, different outcome.

blissett repped this.
  16. Stevie Blue

Stevie Blue Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Aug 10, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was Thailand. Thailand was the team beating down poor Cambodia by 11-0 in a "championship game" on a big stage. So the circumstances were pretty similar in this case. And the injured party, in this case, Thailand, was the party injuring Cambodia. Sorry, we do not have a 100% comparison but this is about as close as you will get in the real world.

17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Seriously, it's not a tough question to answer.

This game had jack shit to do with that game. The behavior of one set of people in a completely unrelated circumstance has zero to do with the behavior of a completely different set of people.

18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Summary :

Whatjusthappened thinks Rapinoe is showing off

And something....

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  19. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    And it's not difficult to understand Stevie Blue's point. Maybe not everyone, but I think a lot of people complaining about the US' celebrations are doing so because they thought it was disrespectful and embarrassing for the Thai players. However, if the Thai players did the same thing to other countries, how exactly is it disrespectful to the Thai players? The US players all took time after the match to acknowledge and talk to the Thai players, and I haven't seen any indication that the Thai staff and players had any issue with how the US acted. I think a lot of people making a fuss about this may be partly doing this to make themselves feel better and elevate themselves in their efforts to support Thailand because the Thai players seemed completely fine with it and weren't embarrassed by the US' play or actions. If they weren't, why should anyone else be? No one else was as close to the US vs Thailand match as the players and coaching staff. In other situations, your point makes sense; it simply doesn't here. There is a relation.

20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I think it was embarrassing for all involved.

Disrespectful actions do not "accumulate" or "cancel each other out".

That Thailand celebrated wildly in a blowout over Indonesia many weeks/months ago has nothing whatsoever to do with the actions taken by US players Tuesday.

Again, I would hope there was some remorse felt. I also think that a lack of outward complaint, especially when pestered about it is indicative of very little.

I honestly have no idea what this is meant to convey. Can you rephrase?

Again, relying on a lack of willingness to say anything is an exercise in hasty conclusion-drawing.

21. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    I did say "maybe not everyone", and I only said "a lot".

Are some of these comments made with the Thai team's feelings really in mind, or are some people making comments about class and morality that make themselves look better and that have little to do with the Thai team? That's not pointed at you, but just a thought when it comes to some people.

Okay, but there's no evidence on the pitch and off the pitch in my opinion that suggests the Thai players and staff felt disrespected. I don't think that can be ignored even if you think it's hasty conclusion-drawing.

I'm just disagreeing with your point that there was zero connection, and I thought Stevie Blue had answered your question. Just my opinion though. We'll just disagree.

22. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    No idea. It seems strange that they would do that, though. FIFA is to blame for creating the situation, but frankly, it seems absurd that some behavior can't be embarrassing if the other team, when asked about it by media says it's not (keeping in mind that acknowledging embarrassment is, in some contexts, itself embarrassing).

Fair enough.

23. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the summary. :thumbsup: No way I was getting through all that.

24. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy did I predict this game wrong... I really thought it was going to end in a Thai...

blissett repped this.
  25. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it ended in a Pad Thai with lots of "nuts."