PBP: Matchday 5: F12.USA - Thailand

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Gilmoy, Jun 11, 2019.

1. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    You do have to wonder, assuming either Japan or Australia host the 2023 WWC, if the AFC gets an extra slot. Or if it'll be the host plus 3.5?

If Chile can score a bunch of goals when they play Thailand, they could advance to the knockout round.

2. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Okay, then. You said you won't cry if they don't win. It sounds like you'll cry if they do win. Regardless, that's fine.

McSkillz repped this.
  3. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Again, North Korea should've been here instead. Thailand lucked out in '15 because North Korea were banned and again for '19 because of a fortunate qualifying draw.

blissett, jagum and Romario'sgurl repped this.
  4. SACule377

SACule377 New Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thailand almost beat Australia at the Asian cup last year. I dont know what happened to the team now. Still no excusing those USA celebrations. It made me dislike them more.

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like you are just looking for an excuse to dislike them, congratulations you have some.

6. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I scored my first ever goal as a 5th grader, after playing two years as a defender.

It was the fourth or fifth goal of something like an 8-goal rout. I celebrated my fanny off.

It only took me.about two hours to realize I'd been an ass.

7. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Yeah, no; first ever goal at a World Cup, the highest level. Complain about the other ones all you want; I'm not faulting the team or Pugh at all for her goal. I think Morgan went over the top on her fifth. However, I remember two through four being fine, and of course, she's going to celebrate the 1-0 goal. Agree to disagree.

8. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No, I wasn't.

9. ShambolicDefense

Sep 10, 2015
    I can't speak for Val1, but there is something about this USWNT that is more inherently unlikable than previous versions that I've enjoyed watching. Probably some combination of the PC politics, media trying to turn them into a feminist circus show, etc.

I've spent a fair amount of time involved in the women's game and love seeing it grow, but this version of our national team just isn't my favorite, and tonight didn't help change my feelings.

mpr2477 and law10 repped this.
  10. thedexeter

thedexeter Member

Washington Spirit
    United States
    Jul 6, 2015
    Again why's this the USA's fault? I don't understand the argument here.

I never stated it was anti-American to point out that some American broadcasters said the celebrations were classless. What I said was, that there seems to be an air of anti-American sentiment, in general, on this forum. People that have already made up their mind to dislike this team, and them celebrating world cup goals being up by large margins only intensifies their hatreds.

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I read it, the issue is not the goals, but the celebration. Sure, Pugh should get her joy, but Morgan? Nope. She already had 3? 4? goals this match, and has goals in previous WC, plus a winner's medal. The respectful thing is to score a goal, high five, and move on.

Sure they have the right, but how they celebrate show who they are as people, as team. Imagine if Press had scored the 13th goal and done a massive celebration after. She already has multiple WC goals and a winner's medal. What does it prove that she scored the 13th? How a team celebrates at that level is an indication of class. And indication, not the whole thing. Apart from Pugh, for the goals beyond #4 or #5, yeah, they should get criticized.

blissett, mpr2477, law10 and 2 others repped this.
  12. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Hopefully this is just an outlier score.

I get why Pugh celebrated that way but the rest after 5 goals should be like Lloyd’s reaction. Anyway, it’ll be interesting to see both teams next game and how they react

13. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    The argument is that the celebrations of some of the goals were classless considering the overall situation. I’m not sure what is so hard to comprehend. Can you imagine Lionel Messi doing this for the 9th goal against a massively inferior, struggling and overwhelmed opponent?

1138547837321535488 is not a valid tweet id

I’ll just add that isn’t my twitter page so I don’t endorse the comment completely. Just using it to show the video.

duality72 repped this.
  14. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait are you simultaneously dinging them for not being PC enough in their celebrations, and then rattling off "PC politics" as one of the reasons they are "unlikable"?
    Sure.

McSkillz and ceezmad repped this.
  15. ShambolicDefense

Sep 10, 2015
    No. I don't really think of soccer celebrations as a generally political issue. So I don't think I'd describe them as "not PC enough."

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Probably depends on how other AFC teams do this tournament, plus how the weakest teams in the other confederations do as well. Last time, the only two really embarrassing results were ECU (C'BOL) and CIV (CAF), with both confederations getting at least one R16 team as well; neither federation got their allocation changed for this tournament.

In fact, no changes were made at all among any confederations even considering the variable host slot (which effectively then gave C'CAF -1 and UEFA +1 this time around,) so unless they actively nerf the AFC allocation next year - which, at worst, would likely be going from 5 automatic non-host slots to 4, then you're gonna get at least 5 AFC teams at an AFC WWC and maybe 6!

Now, if KOR *also* bottoms out their group in addition to THA bottoming out theirs... That nerf should definitely happen. But AUS+JPN+CHN+DPK+KOR+extra probably wouldn't be so bad, especially if the "extra" is the 2015 THA and not the 2019 THA.

blissett repped this.
  17. Non-dairy Creamer

Feb 28, 2007
    did you catch Morgan after she scored her fourth actually count them out with her hand?

one, two, three, four.

really classless, score goals b/c of goal differential but just jog back to the starting line.

Like someone said, Lionel Messi playing against El Chi or some scrub team wouldn't do that.

SACule377 and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  18. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I’m not gonna go back and read everything because the posts on this page say it all. I sat 4 rows up behind the second half goal and after the 4 th goal in like 5 minutes I never got up from my seat to applaud. I understand goal differential and I understand playing the game hard but at some point play with a little class. Rapinoe celebration was flat out embarrassing. That’s all I’ll say other than go USA let’s bring home the cup

MiLLeNNiuM, blissett, duality72 and 3 others repped this.
  19. thedexeter

thedexeter Member

Washington Spirit
    United States
    Jul 6, 2015
    You act like Alex has tons of past world cup goals, she had 3 going into this world cup and a lot of people viewed her lack of being able to score in world cups as a knock on her resume. Sure, she got a winners medal but was injured for large portions of that tournament in 2015. I don't blame her for celebrating like she did, that's a huge weight off her shoulder and her legacy.

Who they are as people? Now we're judge, jury, and executioner for moral character based on celebrations at a world cup, get a grip...

I think the charity that Alex has done for multiple communities here in the US speaks, much more, volumes for her character than a few exuberant goal celebrations.

McSkillz repped this.
  20. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    This isn't technically accurate if my memory is correct. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but only Rapinoe's and Morgan's fifth really stood out to me as over the top. Combined with Morgan talking to at least both the keeper and Nild, Lloyd talking to at least the keeper, and maybe other US player-Thailand player interactions, and I'm struggling to understand the extent of the reactions from different people. Just my opinion though.

lil_one and McSkillz repped this.
  21. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm backpacking through western Africa and managed to catch the 2nd half of the game here in Accra, Ghana at a little hole in the wall bar/restaurant that I'll probably get sick from... nice to see the locals here watch the WWC... I have absolutely nothing against the ladies running the score up. They are professional players right and everyone wants to score at a world cup + the fans came for a show so it's right to give them what they paid for. What I didn't like were the celebrations after they were like 8 up already... have some respect for your opponents sheesh.... anyway as predicted.. this game ended in a Thai.... massacre that is...

22. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    That was over the top, but no, I can't imagine Messi doing that because he now has both Roma and Liverpool in the back of his mind.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  23. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it's outrageous and classless to hurt the feelings of a defeated soccer opponent, but the U.S. team shouldn't take a stand against dehumanizing language about marginalized people. Got it.

McSkillz and chaoslord08 repped this.
  24. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It was also pulling Ertz, a defender, for Lloyd (IIRC). That was just begging to run up the score.

duality72 and mpr2477 repped this.
  25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do get that after 5-0, exesive celebration is uncalled for, the only ones that would get a pass are player that score the first ever WC goal.

Morgan, Press, Lloyd, Rapinoe have been there done that, they should not celebrate too much after #5, a few high fives and good jobs is good enough.

26. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lloyd came in for Lavelle, not Ertz.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.