Matchday 4 -- Crew v DC United

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Big J 0526, Mar 21, 2018.

?

What is the result?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2018.
  1. Win by 2+

31.1%
  2. Win by 1

60.0%
  3. Draw

4.4%
  4. Lose by 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Lose by 2+

4.4%
  1. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #101 Draghignazzo, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    Don't take my post as questioning your experience or perception, nor trying to say your wrong I'm right. Just stating that the 3rd home game this year seemed quieTER than the prior two. It was not quiet. I could hear everyone and man's out the song choice, though via familiarity rather than hearing all syllables. The F U Precourt was definitely quiet. I'm guessing maybe less people joined in on that aside for 'reasons'. All three experiences from the same seats. Clearly this is a subjective opinion.

Also, I was in Nordecke for 2015 Cup. That was absolutely objectively the quietest I've ever experienced.

2. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Thanks I know electricity has less impedance in cold, at least to a point, and I thought sound was similar but couldn't recall if I was conflating the two.

3. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are only one set of field mics for both shows. There isn't enough wire in the facility to let both shows place their own. However, the two consoles in the two trucks were quite different, and the experience of the sound mixers as well. There are no mics pointed at the Nordecke on MLS games, they need them for the field.

4. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    You keep saying third home game this year. Did I miss a game, or are you counting the SheBelieves Cup Match?

5. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nope. I'm just a doofus, running on little sleep the past week.

I had been looking back and forth at my personal calendar before posting, as I'm trying to figure out a plan how I can swing it to travel to Chicago-- which I kept thinking was our next match instead of the coming week being our third home game. So, I'd been repeating the mantra of 'third home game' in my head and it got stuck. Combine that with seeing the back to back home match stretch on my calendar as I flipped back and forth checking flights and such and somehow conflated the coming back-to-back games as having just happened instead of about to happen and as I was posted managed to double down on my memory of being in the stadium back-to-back.

Sorry. You can just ignore me. I've been struggling to keep up with life lately and not sleeping enough. My whole constructed reality can probably be discounted by everyone as the ravings of a madman at this point. Yeesh, I need to start getting some consistent uninterrupted sleep.

Ch(Elsey), TKyle and Jaybir repped this.
  6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This is how surreal this season has become. The team is undefeated through 4 games and 10 points ahead of Toronto and Chicago (games in hand, I know I know). It's the best start to a season in some time, yet you can't watch a game without the constant reminder of extinction. To distract us from the 15,000 or so bright yellow empty seats we are talking about how loud the supporters section was. This isn't blaming anyone who went to the game or chooses how to spend their money. But, in the midst of these discussions I can't help but be constantly reminded of the inch wide and mile deep comments.

This is the weird, awful, surreal state of the Crew in 2018.

Crewmania repped this.
  7. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    In case you are feeling bad, after reading your earlier post, I agreed with you that the first two home games were a bit louder than Saturday's match.

Not sure if I am that impressionable, senile, drunk or simply mad. I'm pretty sure all four of those are in play to some degree.....

Draghignazzo repped this.
  8. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I just tried taking melatonin at bedtime. knocked me out. Got geat zzz’s

9. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah, I've tried that route and many others. Melatonin does nothing, it's a mental activity thing. I live in my head and I'm constantly churning on some problem or issue or entertaining/amusing topic. So it's just that when life is overwhelming my brain can't seem to shut off enough to sleep. I'm also a habitual Night Owl and am one of those people who "don't do mornings". Let me tell you, being a single parent with a young child is a nightmare for someone wired like me. She's 8 now and trained enough to know that unless she's dying, don't wake or bother Daddy before 8 am on the weekends, and man it took me forever to get to the point where I could consistently rise that early. For me anything before 10am is akin to sunrise.

On the flip side, if I'm tired and can calm my mind I can drink a venti triple shot cappuccino and lay down and sleep like a babe. I think horse tranquilizers might work for me...maybe I'll try that.

10. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Thanks, I was feeling a little guilty for possibly making @Ch(Elsey) upset.

11. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Lying Pollyanna" was my attempt at humor. The Pollyanna jab was a long-running thing on here. Maybe that reference is outdated.

12. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was also home to the drunkest, sloppiest sports fans I have ever seen.

Anyway, we sucked until after Rico's goal, then it was smooth sailing. DC is garbage. Good to see this team get points and wins when not at their best. We really really miss Trapp. MLS just doesn't see players that can do all he does very often if ever.

13. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus

I came across this piece last week. Maybe it could help?

https://www.artofmanliness.com/2018/03/21/fall-asleep-fast/

14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a training that helped me a fair bit: cognitive behavioral therapy. I will admit it sounded very new-agish and kinda odd, but it did help me. I am familiar with the not getting the brain to shut down thing.... It's basically a relaxation/breathing technique.

Jaybir repped this.
  15. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to hear about your sleep problems, Drag. I’ve had sleep problems too. A couple of things have worked for me.
    Try to give yourself an hour without “screens” before bed—no phone, computer, or TV. It has something to do with the light. Read, make lunch, laundry, etc.
    Try to get some regular daily exercise if you can—even just walking. The endorphin release helps with worrying and helps make you tired. You can think about what’s churning in your mind while you walk/run/bike/whatever. I’ve often thought of a different perspective or problem solved while running (now walking[emoji53]).
    Writing down a basic plan of action for what your overactive mind is thinking about. Something about physically putting it down on paper seems to help.
    Trying to stay to a regular bedtime helps.
    Alcohol will make you tired but messes with your natural sleep phases.
    (Melatonin hasn’t helped me either.)
    You could also talk to your doctor about medication, too.
    Hope this helps you get some better Zzz’s.

16. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we win 3-1.