Matchday 4 -- Crew v DC United

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Big J 0526, Mar 21, 2018.

?

What is the result?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2018.
  1. Win by 2+

31.1%
  2. Win by 1

60.0%
  3. Draw

4.4%
  4. Lose by 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Lose by 2+

4.4%
  1. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mods, feel free to merge if/when someone else creates another thread. Normally these threads are up by now.

No Trapp, Steffen due to USMNT Call ups. Abu and Kempin maybe? Same formation.

TRUJDUB, Ch(Elsey) and chr1st repped this.
  2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Low 30's. Chance of rain and snow showers. I'm guessing this will not be well attended despite the Great Lakes Brewing Happy Hour....

TRUJDUB repped this.
  3. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus Crew SC vs DC United
    [​IMG]
    MLS Regular Season Match - Saturday, March 24 06:00 PM - MAPFRE Stadium

Broadcast: MLS LIVE, CW Columbus, Spectrum Sports OH, BCSN2

Links: MLS Match Center

Vitals:
    Columbus Crew SC
    7 P / 3 G / 2.33 PPG | 2W-0L-1D | 5 GF / 2 GA / 3 GD | Form: WWD

DC United
    2 P / 3 G / 0.67 PPG | 0W-1L-2D | 4 GF / 6 GA / -2 GD | Form: DLD

Goal Leaders:
    Columbus Crew SC
    Gyasi Zardes - 3
    Federico Higuaín - 2

DC United
    Darren Mattocks - 2
    Luciano Acosta - 1
    Yamil Asad - 1

Previous Meeting:
    SAT, SEP 30, 2017 - 7:30 PM EST @ MAPFRE Stadium
    Columbus Crew SC 2, DC United 0

Notes:
    DC is bad. We are good. Although we will be missing Trapp and Steffen, anything less than a 6-0 drubbing will be a failure. Gyasi Zardes is a gift from the soccer gods (praise be to Guille and his prophet Higuaín), and may his mighty goals be plentiful as we stomp all over Benny's Boys. Put the Z-Man down for the hat trick.

For the brave souls that make it out to the 'Fre, it's gonna be a cold one. Maybe wet. Drink plenty of Goldschläger to stay warm and hilarious and good-looking.

And, as always, ******** DC.

Discuss.

TRUJDUB, redi44crew, zman31 and 8 others repped this.
  4. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 chr1st, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    You rat bastard... beat me to the (very late) punch.

EDIT:
    Lose by two

CrewV Man repped this.
  5. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey now we have one mod, Hardhead, and you guys are hurting his feelings.

6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still trying to decide if I am going to go or not--weather related as I am getting over a bad cold.

I'm expecting attendance around 5K (actual)

7. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need a poll for the attendance alone.

TRUJDUB and chr1st repped this.
  8. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I support this idea.

9. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    Ok I know I'm obsessed and clearly trying to hard.... But I got bored and ran my own full analysis of this one. I know I'm probably just full of it, so ignore it if you must, but I'm just trying to enjoy this season as much as I can, and hopefully we can argue some points here, and then drub DC 3-0 on Saturday. With that in mind here I go...

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Match Preview – Columbus Crew vs. D.C. United – 3/24/2018

With three matches each under the belts the Columbus Crew and D.C. United have had fairly opposite starts to the season. Parity always reigns supreme in Major League Soccer, and with a few noticeable absences due to International Team duty, this game will have all to play for between two long time rivals.

D.C. United Analysis

D.C. have yet to win this season, and at times have looked pretty dreadful. They were never really in the game against Atlanta, whose high octane offense kept them off balance throughout most of the game.

When DC have the ball they tend to attack the flanks.

The side will be depleted of two starting midfielders due to international call ups, Zoltan Stieber headed to Hungary, and Ulises Segura dressing for Costa Rica.

Zoltan Stieber has only had 1 Goal and 1 Assist is 11 appearances for United. Fellow newcomer Ulises Segura has failed to make much of an impact since joining the club, although he has featured in all three matches for them this season.

The players to keep on eye out for in this one includes Paul Arriola. Arriola will be looking to make a statement after being left out of the US lineup, and as the only Designated Player on the roster for the Screaming Eagles he will be looking for his first goal of the 2018 campaign on Saturday.

After each scored last week in the High School Playground Field Complex, I would expect Darren Mattocks and Luciano Acosta to both get nods in the starting lineup as well.

Luciano Acosta is in his third year with DC and has scored 9 times in 64 appearances. He is touted as their “Creative Dynamo.” He backs this up with 16 assists over the past two seasons. Look for him to move into the channels to find the ball and spring either Mattocks or Arriola in the box.

In all I don’t feel like the international call ups are going to hurt DC too much. Arriola will be up for this one, and the two midfielders that will be out are still being integrated into the team as relative newcomers. I don’t anticipate their absence to be the determining factor in this one.

Columbus Crew Analysis

The biggest question heading into this match is defensive organization. The “leadership council” of players on the team will need to be at their best to communicate and organize the defense which will be lacking Zack “Says No” Steffen and Midfield General “Trapptain my Captain” Wil Trapp.

Looking to Mensah, Afful, Valenzuela, and Abubakar to keep the back line steady might be like asking a 2 year to take a road side sobriety test. I expect Jon Kempin to start in goal for the Crew, and although he has been around the league since 2010, the 24 year old goalkeeper has only played in a total of 14 Major League Soccer matches in the past 8 years, and only been on the winning side in 3 of those games.

Defensively, I think a lot is going to come down to how Artur performs, and whoever comes in to replace Trapp. I don’t know if Ricardo Clark is ready to go a full 90, particularly at the age of 90 (errr 35). But his experience and leadership could be vital on the day if he has the legs. The only other options I see for defensive minded midfield play is Jimenez or Josh Williams. Josh would be a better choice in the middle given Hector’s tendency to play on the wing, but again fitness, and decision making would be my primary concerns.

Perhaps the best move by the Crew on Saturday though would be to try and keep the ball as far away from their own goal as possible. The team looks to head into Saturday fully loaded on the attacking end. I’d like to see Higuain pushing forward a bit more to help Zardes, and Santos limit his turnovers (zero would be fantastic right…?) If they are on their A game on Saturday, they have every chance to pick apart a suspect DC United defense.

Keys to the Game

· How will Columbus’ Defense stay organized and win back possession from United?

· Which D.C. team will show up, the team that went down 2-0 against Houston in the first half last week, or the team that rallied back to equalize the game in front of (a?) hundred(s?) of supporters in Maryland?

The Edge

Columbus have gotten off to a good start, but it is hard to argue against the fact that they really stalled last week in Philadelphia. Our missing midfield general, and heroic goalkeeper give DC an advantage heading into this game. However, if the Crew can get out to a good start, and control possession, that could tip the balance in their favor as Baby Benny Olson’s side look to be short on confidence.

My Projected Lineup

-----------------------Kempin------------------------

Valenzuela – Abubakar – Mensah – Afful

---------------------Clark – Artur-------------------

----------Santos – Higuain – Martinez----------

-----------------------Zardes-------------------------

#SaveTheCrew

zman31, the_rickler, Robbiegoal and 4 others repped this.
  10. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice analysis. Well done.

I'd expect Abu to slot in for Trapp and take up most of the defensive responsibilities in the midfield, though he does seem to like to wander forward at times. Unfortunately, I don't think Abu has the same chops as Trapp when it comes to distribution, but he should be fine if he keeps things simple. As for having Higuain play higher up the field, I don't see it happening, especially with Trapp missing. Pipa is going to float all over the pitch and drop back to get on the ball and spark the attack; that's just his MO.

As you touched on, a big key will be limiting turnovers in bad areas. And, as always, we need to turn those xGs into actual goals.

Still, I've got to think we've got the upper hand in this one. Our defense has been decent. Our attack can be devastating. The lads just need to hold it together.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  11. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    Hard to tell who will fill in for Trapp. Abu has only been named to the game day roster once this season, and has yet to see the field. Either way I think Artur will be able to step up his defensive duties help keep things focused.

I agree that I don’t think Higuain will move up the field, but surely Zardes needs some support from time to time. Maybe Martinez?

I just see us looking vulnerable at the back, and DC coming in without a whole lot to lose, and probably getting some confidence from both of their attacking players scoring last match.

12. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sloppy seconds chr1st. Besides, I stopped project purity so there won't be any more mutant scum in the capital wasteland. :p:p

chr1st repped this.
  13. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Such a great game.

14. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't give a damn about your quest, wanderer! I demand my thread title be restored!

*hugs Dogmeat*

the_rickler and Big J 0526 repped this.
  15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "One mod to rule them all and in the darkness bind them".....

TKyle repped this.
  16. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're gonna win. Olsen sucks.

chr1st repped this.
  17. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair point on Abu. I hadn't realized he's only made the 18 for one match. So, yeah, Clark is also be a good bet. I could live with that.

As for the attack and Zardes (Crew legend and goal-scoring prodigy), I think we'll be fine. Spread it out to the wings, get our overlap on, let Gyasi push the line, Pipa and Artur make trailing runs, and score all the goals. Plus, still having Artur and Higuaín on the pitch, we can expect those tasty, inch-perfect through balls for Zardes (or Martínez or Afful or Valenzuela) to gobble up.

I agree that we need to be wary of DC's attack. Mattocks is the kind of guy that can burn us on a bad giveaway. Asad and Acosta can make all the passes to open up a defense, especially on the break. I'm not sure what to think about Arriola. And, as you said, they've got nothing to lose.

That being said, I've been pleasantly surprised by our defense. Just don't make silly turnovers, keep an eye on Mattocks, and stay composed when they press.

18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance?
    5K actual, announced as 3K which would be an "LA 8K."

Also... Show your membership card at any permanent concession stand for a free hot chocolate. Limit one per person per visit and while supplies last.

Draghignazzo and SLSHOT01 repped this.
  19. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    worst companion.

20. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Them's fightin' words, pardner.

[​IMG]

odave and the_rickler repped this.
  21. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meet me at Megaton and we'll settle this like men.

the_rickler and chr1st repped this.
  22. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The forecast for Saturday looks bleak. So cold. Rain and/or snow? We are trying to decide if we want to leave our littlest one with grandma and bring Markus.

Tuesday morning while getting ready, I told Tim I was not sure if we should go down to the game because of the weather. He put his hands squarely on my shoulders, and he said, "Chelsey, we are going to go to as many of the home games as we can, even the weeknight ones." I became a bit choked up.

So gentlemen, do not get so cynical to think romance is dead.

23. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tuesday morning while getting ready, I told Melissa I was not sure if I should go down to the game because of the weather. She put her hands squarely on my neck, and she growled, "Chris, if you so much as think you are going to go to as many home games as you can and leave me with all the kids, I'll stab you in your sleep." I became a bit choked up due to her grip on my throat.

So lady, can we trade spouses?

24. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And gay marriage is back on the agenda.

Draghignazzo, puttputtfc and chr1st repped this.
  25. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone deserves to be equally miserable.