Matchday 33: ATL v CHI

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Oct 20, 2018.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Atlanta United vs. Chicago Fire
    Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta
    October 21, 2018 3 pm ET
    ESPN

MLSsoccer.com preview here.
    AJC.com Atlanta United page here.

2 games left, folks. Just 2 more games left in the regular season as Atlanta eyes their first trophies. As part of that journey, 2 more games left to determine who Atlanta will potentially/ likely play in their efforts to win the MLS Cup. A lot of work done to reach this point, yet seemingly so much more left undone.

Step 1 begins tomorrow with an afternoon kickoff that hopefully will capture the city's attention since the Falcons don't play Sunday. Chicago comes to town eminently beatable but Atlanta is both wounded and suffering distractions, so it's good that everything Martino has said thus far suggests the team is focused solely on the task. Having an eye on the Red Bulls' result (Go Philly!) won't mean much if Atlanta drops the ball in their own match. As I said, so much left yet undone.

For a team that made last year's playoffs Chicago has had a rough go of it this year, sitting above only Orlando in the eastern conference table. Thing is Chicago is not an abysmal team, even based on recent form. They recently beat LAFC, played hot DCU strong before surrendering late and have played .500 ball the past 6 games, but Bastian Schweinsteiger is another year older (having already played a farewell match in Germany), Nikolic has been less prolific, and their midfield hasn't been able to play top rate for a full 90' save on a few occasions. Off season acquisition Dax McCarty hasn't quite lived up to aspirations and Katai and Mihailovic have struggled to replicate last year's form. Barring a surge these last 2 weeks Chicago will clock in with about 10-14 goals less than last season, while capitulating about 10-14 more goals on defense. Chicago's formula, then, is pretty simple - Try to get 2+ goals ahead of their opponent so that the midfield and defense can simplify their remaining strategy, otherwise they're subject to giving up a lead and/or losing as better teams expose their weaknesses. (Looking at you, outside D-backs.)

Making Atlanta's task more difficult will be the absences of co-MVP leader Miguel Almiron and offensive talisman Tito Villalba. You've heard me celebrate Tito's influence on the offense in past threads as I think his positioning and runs uniquely open up Martinez and give the attack a completely different form versus the stretch of games he missed. With both of those speedy attackers out Eziquiel Barco will slot in for one of them and carry the most weight he's ever born in an Atlanta jersey. He won't be asked to directly replicate the game for either player, but he will be needed to provide control and advance the ball. The first part will be key because he's prone to giveaways moreso than Almiron, and his vision for long passes is decidedly shy of that for the Paraguayan.

This means Darlington Nagbe will also be asked to be that much more of a leader on the field, as well. He's had some brilliant games for Atlanta, piloting the transition and full on attack with his artful control and distribution, but he's also struggled at times to properly link between the defense and the forwards depending on how well everyone else is playing. (This is MLS, after all, and not the EPL. Even our best teams will feature guys chasing the play or slacking marking duties, etc.)

The good news is Atlanta's only eligible player to see team on International duty was keeper Brad Guzan, so hopefully everyone else is fully rested, ready, and hungry to win. Get three points and they'll have one hand on the Supporters' Shield. No doubt Tata has reminded them to concentrate only on what they can control, which that alone is enough to get them the Shield. So while tomorrow will have some tension the good news is the home atmosphere should help propel them. Martinez no doubt wants a few more goals before the record is settled, and I think Barco may actually rise to the occasion. Put the gauntlet down and make RB do the scoreboard watching.

I would love cheap burritos Monday but think the missing stars will have an impact. 2-0 as Martinez and Gressel save the home side.

2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell is wrong with Josef Martinez?

3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently the ref likes the fire.

4. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woo... nervy game. Had we tied it would have been game over the Shield.

#1 it’s a guarantee Red Bull will beat Orlando. That’s a match up like France vs North Korea. That won’t even be a match. Red Bull is 100% sure to come away with 3 points.

#2 So, we must win. Draw and we lose the shield... so we must beat a team on the road that we’ve never beat before and while has been terrible this year, was the same team last year that ran the table.

In short, granted I’d rather be in our shoes, but anything short of the game of our lives and this will have to be the biggest letdown any Atlanta team has ever had... and that includes that Super Bowl loss against the Patriots.

Come on, Five Stripes! Unite and Conquer!

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Martinez was CLEARLY frustrated with the lack of delivery tonight. Barco and Carleton (combined age of 38!) have a lot of talent but are not Tito and Almiron when it comes to coordinating an attack around Josef. Didn't help that Gressel had to play on the opposite side tonight. He, Barco and McCann are not exactly a left side for the ages, let alone something that will drag defenders away and give Josef space.

Now picture a right side that saw most of its crosses from Escobar.

To his credit Franco was MOTM tonight, especially on defense. Play like that every match and find a way to put him in with Gressel and Tito and that should be a right side for the ages (in MLS terms, anyway.)

A gritty game and Chicago did well. Hard to see that and think how much they've dropped off from last season. They made it tough for Atlanta to retain possession and packed the box, limiting through-passes. If they had been a little more clinical a win was within reach.

6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know.... he missed a bunch of sitters tonight. He can’t blame that on anyone but himself.

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    True. I just think part of that is how he gets easily frustrated, throwing him off his game.

8. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did seem way too easily frustrated which has been a sticking point for him in his career.

Another point to make, I’m worried Barco isn’t a team player. He’s obviously skilled but he just doesn’t combine well with others. He plays like hes a kid and he’s the only person who knows the game around him...which may be a given because of his age, but we need him to mature in this aspect. But to be more blunt, I’m not so sure Barco isn’t a locker room cancer; especially given the whole Vasquez situation. Either way, he needs to grow up.

Also, I’m glad Carleton found the game later on, but he seemed to get lost in the game... which seems due to his lack of athleticism, defensive work rate, and concentration. Plus, he and Barco seemed like they were working against each other instead of for each other.

9. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    For me I think this the crux of the matter. Both show amazing talent but I think they lack the experience on how to adapt their skill sets into the current team. Matches like yesterday do nothing but help in their maturation process. Ideally next week will be a little better than this with regards to speed of play and understanding how to better provide service to their teammates.

10. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't really have much to add as far as match analysis. So my only input is wow, what a gorgeous fall day; roof open; good result; several Tropicalia's. Great day.

GunnerJacket, GoDawgsGo and Auriaprottu repped this.