Matchday #29 Columbus v Union, September 12, 2015 p/d/p

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Zman Gunner, Sep 11, 2015.

?

Predict the Outcome.

Poll closed Sep 13, 2015.
  1. Win

33.3%
  2. Tie

18.5%
  3. Loss

48.1%
  1. -smokeandmirrors-

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yeah Blake is so much better than McCarthy. Blake better be starter next year as long as he's not hurt.

2. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm glad it's not raining but I wish I just stayed in and watched movies

3. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blake better start the Houston and New England games - then the USOC final. He gives the team the best chance to win, which is more important than being loyal to McCarthy for his good performances in prior USOC games.

Handsome Pete and jaykoz3 repped this.
  4. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Gonna organize references for my thesis proposal.

Watching this is a waste of time.

5. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. -smokeandmirrors-

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    But you know McCarthy is going to start anyway.. I mean I give him props for getting us this far with some good performances I definitely don't feel comfortable with McCarthy in the net against KC.

7. SOBtilIdie

SOBtilIdie Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So that was down right pathetic. Highlight of the game for me. I offended rays gaddis' mom cause I was rightfully booing that retched
    Absolutely pathetic. Best part of the night. Ray's Mom telling me that I shouldn't be booing.

The crew had 60-90% of the possession for the first 25 minutes. That's particularly horrid and inexcusable. It was like watching a bunch of amateurs against an actual pro team.

8. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got back from the game. My Thoughts.

- The first half was of the game was one of the most wretched performances by the Union that I've seen. They couldn't seem to string a series of passes or hold the ball for more than a few seconds.

- Yeah, you could boo Gaddis, but was he REALLY the problem? The entire team played like shit tonight. I predicted 1-5-1 down the stretch (with Houston being the win) but since we've beaten San Jose away, I'm betting that remains our only win of the regular season with 5 games to go. Houston is currently losing 2-0 to RSL and much like us, they're probably going to convince themselves that they still have a shot to make it. We MAY beat Houston but seriously, any person, be they fan or from the team that says, "WE CAN STILL DO THIS!" is fooling themselves.

- McCarthy? Really? McCarthy seems like a nice kid, but Andre Blake is the better GK. Yes, Jim he wasn't with the team all week or whatever excuse he gave at the press conference. But BLAKE IS THE BETTER PLAYER. You do not sit your best player at that position because "he wasn't with the team" for a few days. It's a bullshit excuse and needs to be called as such.

- Once again the Union strategy of "hoof the ball up field and hope Sapong can come down with it" didn't work. The Union are actually semi-decent at getting the ball down the wings, but they utterly fall flat on their faces when the ball is served into the box. With Nogueira, Barnett and Maidana in the midfield it seems like we'd have a better chances by getting the ball through the midfield. But NOOOOOOPE! Crosses baby, crosses.

- Aristeguieta once again showed why he should be given the boot at the end of the season. He basically does nothing when on the field, had no touch and he consistently tried to do some weird high kick and put the ball up and over his head and generate an attack (it never worked) rather than bring the ball down, control it and use his size to get off a shot.

- PPL was pretty damn quiet for long stretches. I don't blame the Sons of Ben, the team provided almost zero energy for most of the match.

- The team needs to openly acknowledge that the season is pretty much done for them. Yes, you're not mathematically eliminated yet but you don't have enough to make the playoffs. The September 26th game against New England has ZERO meaning for this team, as many starters as you can reasonably rest should be rested, you need to have the best possible chance to win hardware out on the field on the 30th.

cwelch999, Tyr and Phillyspur repped this.
  9. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Scottj10

Scottj10 Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blake plays a solid match for his national team yet isn't able to start for the Union. I just don't get it. It's like the team doesn't want to win.

LuckyStriker repped this.
  11. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curtin surely justified McCarthy starting based on (1) not wanting to mess with starters that beat SJ and (2) McCarthy was here all week for training while Blake was with Jamaica NT. The starter in next week's Houston game is likely the starter for the USOC assuming a reasonable performance - Curtin likely does not want to seem like he is in panic mode by flip flopping goalies in the 2 games leading up to the final. Blake should be his choice regardless on how he thinks it might impact McCarthy.

12. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that sucked. But hey the rain held off!

I'm really leaning toward the fire Curtin camp now. Only thing holding me back is the fact that I have ZERO confidence that this FO will actually go out and hire a replacement from OUTSIDE of the organization. That first half performance was pathetic.

McCarthy should not be starting in MLS, period. Nice kid, nice story, but start Blake from here on out.

Gaddis is not a starting RB. Every teams strategy is forcing the Union to give it to Ray, and then they pressure the shit out of him, and he turns it over. Every.Damn.Game. Rinse, Wash, Repeat. Goodson was right last week, that was a one in a million pass by Ray. When coach local took Fabinho out, and left Ray in.....I knew we weren't going to score. Fabinho is one of three players on this team that can put in a good cross, and Maidana couldn't play tonight, so that left Barnetta as the only good crosser left on the field. I understand that you need some defense in a back 3....but this match was a MUST WIN. I get why coach local left Ray out there, however I didn't agree with that decision.

All I want for Xmass is a good soccer team, and instead Santa keeps giving me this lump of shit that stinks up PPL Park every damn week!!!!!

13. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #38 Zman Gunner, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    Fabinho always seems to be the sub when Curtin goes with a 3 man backline - seems strange that when the team needs goals and had aerial targets like Sapong, Casey and Nando all on the field, taking off Vitoria (not enough pace for 3 man backline) or Gaddis (likely stays in due to his pace but generally kills attacks on his flank) makes more sense when losing late.

14. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have nothing to write other than that was just a dreadful effort. Just awful.

15. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been to EVERY home game this team has ever played. There were a variety of reasons, but this is the first game that I have ever left early. I have sat through monsoons, cold, wind, lightning, etc. It's well beyond bad when someone like me begins to lose interest. Here's to hoping they right the ship soon.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  16. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ray is awful. Just awful. He's nowhere near starting quality. Williams was lazy, but at least he had ability.

Thanks Coach Local for naming Ray starter.

McCarthy should be nowhere near the USOC final. He'll be starting of course.

We extended Nando's loan why exactly? He offers nothing. He shouldn't even be a bench option while Casey is still on the team.

17. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still only 2 point out of the playoffs, not sure why all the hate.

18. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    etsjay, buzzkiller23, UnionDues and 5 others repped this.
  19. local136RiverRat

Oct 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    They give you gold and you complain it's not platinum.

Starpork, Tyr and LuckyStriker repped this.
  20. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be ecstatic with gold.... They've been giving us nickel.

buzzkiller23, Starpork and gettysburg11 repped this.
  21. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    They've been giving us leaky lead acid batteries.

22. local136RiverRat

Oct 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    This team is a very poorly frosted terd. I want the cup, but to be honest we win and it almost guarantees another year of crap soccer.

UnionDues, breslinp and Handsome Pete repped this.
  23. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    One of these days people will realize they shouldn't antagonize the best forward on the other team. Every time a group of people do (Keane, Henry, Di Vaio, Kamara, etc.) that player absolutely torches the Union.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  24. local136RiverRat

Oct 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Serious?

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  25. lopezzzz

lopezzzz Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yeah, guy scores his 20th goal and people in TRE tell him he sucks. That's some misplaced anger.