Matchday 28 - Stoke City vs. Chelsea FC

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kazuma, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    69-Dudes.jpg

Points total merits some BnT :)

Yahtzee, Wrath and Blueallthru repped this.
  2. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Awfully great movie if that makes sense. Second was just as dumb but strangely awesome too.

3. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    So happy

Blueallthru repped this.
  4. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I think we may have actually held Stoke to zero shots other than that (incredibly soft) penalty. Completely deserved win, even if the narrative will be that we barely won it.

5. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    Such a strange rule that disallowed goals do not count as shots on target but otherwise agreed.

6. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I don't mean shots on target. I mean shots period, btw.

7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    That's correct....ZERO.

8. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    LOL at Mark Hughes. He thought Cahill deserved a red and he thought Azpi went down easy.

9. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    He thought Cahill deserved a red? Tremendous.

10. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Tough away win but we looked solid, cheap PK but great response in the 2nd half.

Two things for me tho, even with Pedro and Willian playing very well this season, we need another top player up front who can provide a goal threat. Alexis Sanchez would be perfect.

A B2B midfielder who can help our offense more but still not be a huge drop in defensive quality (fabregas) would make us so much stronger in tough away games like this.

Overall very happy with the result and a good performance in a tough away fixture.

11. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Costa's form is concerning. Because of it, he has reverted back to shoving and theatrics. Hopefully he picks up again.

12. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Your avatar needs to be photoshopped....Conta has Juve crest on it. :)

13. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think Hughes forgot how he used to play.

14. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Did anyone else see Conte swinging from the dugout bench when Cahill scored?

Conte's passion is great.

843144736387059721 is not a valid tweet id

truefan420 repped this.
  15. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I missed the game because my Mrs was taken to hospital (she is OK now) unfortunately I was sitting in London traffic while the game was going on. After the 'panic' I did get to see brief highlights on MOTD and I heard Mr Hughes claim his team deserved at least a draw yet it seems to me we dominated??

16. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Mr Hughes is talking utter shite as per usual. They were flattered utterly by the scoreline.

scirea6 and Blueallthru repped this.
  17. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This. One team played football. The other club was Stoke and did Stoke like things.

18. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Gary Cahill - weak link or great Captain or both?

Attached Files:

19. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A bit of both but still the weakest link.

20. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I thought as much, now all we have to do is 'shake off' Spurs once and for all!

21. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This is a really interesting view of Cahills' goal you don't get to see on TV. For me, what was most striking is that it looks like Stoke's home ground is a dilapidated barn ringed with plexiglass at the very top. How the English haven't figured out how to add corners to their stadiums is beyond me.

I know, I know, most stadiums have grown in fits and starts over the years instead of tear-downs.

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2017/3/18/14968742/gary-cahills-goal-as-seen-from-the-stands

22. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    love watching the 'home' fans stand up as one and start heading for the exits in the far stand :)

Blueallthru repped this.
  23. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not sure why the nationality jibe here as there are plenty of stand based stadiums around the world.

But assuming you are interested in an answer, the primary reason is that yes, it is partly due to many stadiums especially in the lower leagues (which newer overseas fans will see more in the fa cup) being a result of patchwork upgrades over the years. It is not cheap to fill in the corners and not the most efficient way of adding seats. For some clubs it's easier and cheaper per seat to knock one stand down and put another larger one up in its place. Happens all the time.

Also, with the patchwork nature of many grounds, the corners themselves look pretty bad when added after the fact. Stamford Bridge looks stupid in the corners where the tiers don't line up for instance.

Ah, but the Britannia is new (ish) I hear you say. Indeed it is but the other part to the cost question new stadia are often built based on expected attendance and it is much cheaper to build 4 separate stands than one all around affair. It also allows that club to expand in the future if they have the luxury of interest and money. You can't do that with a neat looking stadium like many (not all, but many) in the mls for instance.

In fact, in this specific case, what you can see in the open corner is construction equipment precisely because they are filling in the corner and likely because this was built into the plans from the outset. If they had spent the money at the time for the same capacity they have today but on a wrap around build this would not be possible. They likely would also not have been able to afford to build as big as they did if they had gone with a corners filled approach and that's an important consideration.

Other clubs go even further with it. Oxford United, when they moved out of the Manor which on 1 side had 3 or 4 different structures alone built the Kassam. It has 3 completed sides and a fence. The final side has plans drawn up but won't be built until they get promotion and more fans attend. Until then there is no value.

Is it a good look for the biggest clubs, not particularly but I miss those old grounds. There was an identity and character to them that modern stadia just don't have. Especially the soulless quarter full Olympic stadiums around Europe.

Tldr, money is a major factor for most clubs outside of the elite few and filling in the gaps is not often a good use of funds even where it is feasible.

Wrath, Brock Hannsen and Blueallthru repped this.
  24. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This is great. Just a bad joke. On TV, you sometimes get to see stadium quirks here and there but usually you just see the pitch and some fans. This view of the goal collides with my preconceived notions of what that stadium looked like. Seeing vehicles and street signs in the background of Willian, Fabregas, & Co. is not the glamor most people think of when watching the Prem. I know this happens all around Europe as teams move up and down between divisions. Making investments is tricky and risky.

Americans who started watching the league recently fell in love with little grounds like this. I'll go even further that Fulham was the team that turned the tide for many. A cool little ground, an engine-that-could team, and lots of Americans (Dempsey, McBride, Bocanegra). It was the perfect storm and the gateway for more than a few Americans. Highbury was even a nice ground. Where West Ham play, at the Olympic Stadium is a joke. Unfortunately, I think the Premier League is trending towards this; they're taking cues from the NFL in a big way. $ $ $

Serious question, though, a team like Stoke has been back in the league since 2009 and have probably gotten a lot of TV rights money. If they invested in a stadium, would the fans pack it? But that's probably more of a risk than buying half decent players who will keep the team in the league. It's a balancing act. I suppose the goal of these teams is to make annual, extended runs in Europe/Europa to increase income.

25. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's back to that balancing act. Stoke for a few years were bottom half but in the past 3 have been 9th I believe so probably feel more stability. It then comes down to how they spend their money and they've opted to maintain or even improve their squad to keep their spot in the league rather than add seats.
    I think you're right about tv money and suspect that the increased deal enables them to continue their squad and build out the stadium a little more.

Ultimately they probably would have mostly filled the new seats but the risk was that it would threaten their league position.

If they do go down, I personally won't shed any tears though. Not a big fan of how they go about the game even if I understand why they do what they do.