PBP: Matchday 27: ORL vs ATL

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Aug 21, 2019.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Orlando City SC vs. Atlanta United
    Exploria Stadium – Orlando
    Friday, August 23 – 8:00 PM ET
    ESPN

MLSsoccer.com preview here.
    ATLUTD.com preview here.
    AJC.com United home page here.

(Insert concocted rivalry barbs here! Hah!)

Orlando comes in 2-2-2 in their last 6 and straddling the playoff line to which they've always looked up. And until proven otherwise they're still awaiting their first victory over the Five Stripes. (Insert second rivalry barb! *snicker!*) But regardless of the circumstances it's a road match and it matters so Atlanta needs to give it their full focus and effort, cause heaven knows the Lions will.

Orlando has played better than last season, and while Nani hasn't yielded instant returns a la Rooney or Ibra he has raised the class of the side to compensate for the fading abilities of Will Johnson and Sasha Kljestan. This has been at the core of their issues (best I can tell) in that they lack the difference makers in the middle of the field who can lead a transition, show poise and creativity while under pressure, and ultimately produce on the front end. Especially when that front end is Dom Dwyer. Fortunately for Orlando Tesho Akindele has been able to match Nani's 9 goals to lead the team in scoring, while other prime signing Joao Moutinho has added some flair (in mixed batches) to their attack. If they've reaped one benefit of Dwyer's middling form it's that the attack comes out more balanced, if not overall effective. They've netted 35 times but given up the same, proving an enigmatic side still searching for a true identity whenever 1-2 of their marquee talents can't carry the day.

Atlanta comes in riding a high, winners of 5 of their last 6 and showing flashes of imperious form. With more of the offensive pieces of the puzzles healthy and familiar with one another the side has shown more potency: They average 1.7 goals per game for the season but 2.4 per game (in all comps) since the loss to Seattle. Pity and Nagbe are thriving with more outlets to feed in attack, Gressel has adapted to his wing-back role, and the other players have ably served in as needed to keep the machine humming.

For them the song remains the same - Avoid the simple/stupid mistakes that can cost points and change the tenor of the match. Three at the back endows a strong offense but means every time LGP bombs forward, or any time Pogba or Remedi leave someone unmarked, etc., the side is susceptible to another cheaply surrendered goal. (Yes, the saves by Guzan and recoveries by defenders are great, but it's better when they aren't needed as frequently.) If Atlanta stays ahead of the "lesser" teams then they will eventually put them to the sword. Doubly so for an Orlando side carrying a 9 game chip on their shoulder as fans fret another loss to Atlanta.

This week won't be any different. 1-3 to the King Peach.

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm concerned about a trap game, or an injury that might cause us to have to scramble in the USOC final. LoA says they're going to beat us at some point, and every game they don't increases the chances that it'll be next time (I think that's how it works). But I'm optimistic, so I'll say 2-1.

Funny thing about Po'lando is, they're averaging slightly better than a point a game on the road (which is pretty good for MLS, and fractionally better than we're doing atm), but they're .500 at home. That wall isn't helping them out much.

3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Hey Orlando, who's your daddy?

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You sure you wanna claim relations to that? Just sayin'.

5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
  6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yep. Remedi in for Larentowicz the only change from Sunday.

Let's go Five Stripes!

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    6' in and Pogba already had two dreadful giveaways. He's looking a step behind everyone.

Orlando the 2 best chances so far.

8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A) If I didn't know better I'd say the grass is long, as if to slow the ball down. If true that's smart on Orlando's part and the Stripes need to adapt.

B) Atlanta looks lethargic, regardless.

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    26' 0-0

Both teams have now had quality chances. Atlanta weathered a 10 minute storm and now trying to spend more time in control but doing so too much in their back third.

Neither team looking crisp. Heat taking its toll on the quality of play, I say.

10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    LGP gets his yellow at 35'. I would've bet the under so...

11. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    40' in and it's eerily similar to some of the early games from this season - Slow, all the little cheeky passes are off the mark, players aren't hustling to get forward... You'd think the teams were coming off midweek matches.

12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    HT: 0-0

Arguably the worst half Atlanta has played since the opening 45' at BOC stadium. Nagbe and Remedi aren't clicking tonight and the team looks waaaaaay confused as to their defensive responsibilities. Playing out like Atlanta wasn't prepared for what Orlando is offering.

Blessedly the Lions have squandered their chances. Hopefully the heat is wearing in them, as well, and Atlanta can make the better adjustments over halftime.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Larentowicz on for Remedi at the half.

14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    57' and still 0-0.

Are we sure this isn't an AU2 match?

15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Martinez!

0-1!

16. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Goal comes off a turnover and breakaway that reads Josef to Barco to Josef to net.

61' and Hyndman comes on for Nagbe.

17. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    FT: 0-1

That was easily the worst performance since the 5-0 shellacking at Chicago. No real bright spots to cheer other than the goal and the fact Pogba improved in the 2nd half. Other than that it was a game that any neutral would watch and assume a pair of middling teams.

Stripes get the shutout but a lot of that credit goes to Orlando for their poor finishing.

Take the points and throw away the highlight film.

Eleven Bravo and Auriaprottu repped this.
  18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not gonna lie- they came to play, and/or we didn't. But they couldn't score despite several attempts that should have tried Guzan. I'll take the three and move on. Minny visits us.

19. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just about to watch the game and accidentally searched something on google and it gave me the scoreline...Don’t know to be pissed or elated. But I’ll go with elated!

Josef Martinez continues his streak.

The boys seem to be clicking.

And 3 appointments against Mickey Mouse in his fun house.

Can’t complain!

Woo

20. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Well that wasn't pretty, especially in the back despite the clean sheet. Poor passing, missed clearances, and lethargic defending make for a lot of tense moments. Nani gave Gressel and LGP fits and Miles had some uncharacteristic boneheaded mistakes. Thankfully Orlando finishing is still Orlando finishing. It doesn't help when Pity is off his game. I am going to blame our lackluster performance on the oppressive heat and humidity. Champions win games playing poorly on the road. Let's just take the 3 points and move on to Tuesday's Open Cup championship in the air-conditioned confines of Mercedes Benz.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  21. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Don't bother. It truly was dreadful soccer. I just pray that wasn't the game some casual fan tuned in to judge MLS for the first time, cause if so that's one fan lost forever.

Allow me to save you the trouble and give the highlights:

Josef scores.
    Stripes win.
    Thank you and good night.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  22. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess that was saving grace because I was going to tune in at about 12:30am after being up until 4:30am and was going to have to wake up at 6:30am this morning lol.

At least, I got a good night sleeps and the Stripes win.

23. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Josef's chip off the post would have been sweet, but yeah, no one really played well. Time to regroup on Tuesday.

24. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Wow, I thought Josef was Orlando's daddy. Zlatan is abusing LAFC in every meeting... hat trick before halftime. Was 3-1 but LAFC have pulled one back at halftime.

25. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    This derby / rilvary game is crazy fun.