Matchday 21: Atlanta United @ Philadelphia Union

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by SabreKhan, Jul 7, 2018.

1. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No game thread yet, but a great win for the boys on the road. Well done bouncing back from the defeat in Dallas. Atlanta looked to be the much better team today, and the attack looked much more composed. This one could have been 3 or 4 goals instead of just the two.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  2. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    The defense was sloppy to me. While we should have scored 2-3 in the first half, Philly had at least that number of good chances as well.

3. Mendel

Mendel Member

Atlanta
    United States
    May 21, 2018
    Good result. Atlanta was definitely having difficulty connecting the back to the front again tonight, especially in the first half. Philly had more chances than Atlanta did. I wonder what is happening in the locker room at half? Atlanta seems to play with more focus in the 2nd half. When they play with focus, there's not a team that can stay with them in MLS.

4. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy we’ve played so many games... although in first place right now, technically Red Bull’s could theoretically be in first place if they win their next four games.

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sorry I didn't get to a thread. No excuses, just spent the day watching the Cup before seeing Ant Man and then doing the AU match. Maybe once the WC is over I'll get outside again.

Meanwhile, a solid if not comprehensive performance from the boys Saturday. Much needed response to the FCD debacle but both sides of the ball showed more errors than midweek, I thought. Philly blew a couple good chances and Atlanta's man marking in the 1st half was just abysmal. Better in the 2nd half which coincided with improved pressing play. Think Gressel is adapting to the middle, as well, and his interchange with the more advanced attackers (again, more so in the 2nd half) was pretty strong.

About my only fear on the heels of this result is the growing sense that Miggy's departure is more and more imminent. That he hasn't been linked with more European teams right now is almost criminal, but I'll be grateful and move on.

Auriaprottu and SabreKhan repped this.
  6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    All I ask is that he stays thru this season.