PBP: Matchday 13: D32.Scotland - Argentina

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Gilmoy, Jun 19, 2019.

1. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT: 3-3.

ARG the first team in WWC history to salvage a point after going down by three goals.

blissett and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  2. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um... Argentina do realize that they need to win this to progress right?

Edit: And now it's all over?

Funny that this might be what eventual keeps Nigeria in this lol...

legendofzola repped this.
  3. KimLittle#Magic

Arsenal
    England
    Jun 16, 2019
    Strange ending by ref, did she even blow whistle correct?

4. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's certainly one of the most interesting games of the WWC so far. I hate the VAR being used to call the GK's movement on a PK. That's just stupid.

However, this match was really, really good for women's football. It had excitement, drama, everything you could want in a competitive match.

blissett, ShortyMac and mpr2477 repped this.
  5. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    They still might advance and it's a historical accomplishment anyway especially with little or no support from your country's football federation.

6. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't there have been like 8 minutes of added time? Why did the ref end it so soon?

AMBreakers, Ethan Frank and blissett repped this.
  7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Wow! Scotland took a page out of the FC Barcelona page. Maybe an entire chapter. How do you blow a 3-goal lead in 20 minutes when a win gets you to the next round (most probably)?

8. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #58 Gilmoy, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    FT 3-3. Scotland 12(7)-(4)12 shots(sog), 5-1 corners, 15-13 fouls, 0-4 offsides, 8-14 tackles, 8-15 clearances, 49% possession, 75% (280/372) - (256/347) 74% passing.

Post-match, French TV's talking heads are going quietly berserk over VAR penalties. It's not just English language commentators arguing about it :thumbsup:

CoachJon, blissett and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  9. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Only way Argentina advances is if both the Cameroon/New Zealand match AND the Chile/Thailand match end in a draw.

Romario'sgurl, jagum and blissett repped this.
  10. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Bravo Argentina!

11. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Scotland only have themselves to blame. They probably should've just focused on seeing the game out, instead of continuing the attack, but what do I know. LOL!

12. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm very sadden by the result Scottish women played very elegantly

CoachJon repped this.
  13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The fact that Nigeria likely gets through now above either of Scotland or Argentina is near criminal.... Though to be fair, Nigeria probably should have gotten a draw against France if not for THEIR questionable double-PK. So maybe this other double-PK is karma. But Scotland and Argentina have both generally looked better than Nigeria have.

CoachJon, blissett and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  14. stubifier

stubifier Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jan 19, 2018
    I've watched the first PK over and over, pausing it at the exact moment the player touched the ball, and I think Alexander is still on her line. It's the wrong call. The TV feed froze the frame a split second after the ball had been struck, by which time she was indeed off the line.

VAR is inevitable, but they should really rethink emphasizing this particular aspect of the game. This sort of controversy is going to reappear over and over, and sooner or later some poor keeper is going to get a red card for being a split second early twice in a row.

threemileallan, MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  15. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Absolutely agree. In the second half, we had 5 goals, several subs, and about 5 minutes taken up by the VAR and PK retake. And both teams looked at the ref like "WTF" at the final whistle. Both wanted/needed to score another goal.

16. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    The way the Scottish players seemed to goad or try to put off the penalty taker was really off putting. The ref lost the plot but some of these decisions they are having to overturn are getting absurd. This foot on the line rule is nonsense.

17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Side note: we are now up to 5 own goals this tournament. Last time around had 6; the MWC last year had a whopping 12 own goals, albeit in a 64-match tournament instead of a 52-match tournament. I wonder if Onga L. can catch up to Owen Gole...

BlueCrimson repped this.
  18. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    I wonder why Fifa didn`t try this vigorous foot on the line rule, including the double Var-Check with a nice yellow for the goalie in last year`s world cup:whistling:

19. threemileallan

Jun 17, 2006
    I really hope they do something about this now. The rule as enforced currently is a JOKE and we are ruining the tournament because of this.

20. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scotland wasn't focusing on closing the game out at 3-0, and it cost them dearly. I think part of it is the lack of experience in major tournaments.

21. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just realized where we've seen this ref before... she was here in Qatar a couple of months ago reffing the Al Kass youth tournament final between Rangers and Roma ...

We met her and Pierluigi Collina and some other refs afterwards as I think they were doing some VAR training / refereeing conference here in Doha... anyhoo, I remember her having a controversial match in that game sending off a couple of players.. seemed pretty no-nonsense. Anyway, didn't realize she was North Korean, and a former international player who played for NK in the 1999 + 2003 world cups. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ri_Hyang-ok Is that allowed in men's football for former international players to ref later on? Anyhoo, it's mainly VAR making the calls either way...

22. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Scottish Football Association (SFA) has a permanent seat on the International Football Association Board (IFAB). Perhaps they now have cause to goad/entice/support FIFA's four votes to (ahem) look at certain Laws ;)

blissett and CoachJon repped this.
  23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, this was a sarcastic comment, but turns out to have been accurate.

I am gonna go back and watch that second half...

kolabear repped this.
  24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were all wrong

Ethan Frank and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  25. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't have a problem with the PK and retake, but there should definitely be more added time.