PBP: Matchday 10: F22.Sweden-Thailand

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by blissett, Jun 16, 2019.

1. KimLittle#Magic

Arsenal
    England
    Jun 16, 2019
    Plus to it is should keep them fresh and allow squad rotation.

MiLLeNNiuM and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  2. thedexeter

thedexeter Member

Washington Spirit
    United States
    Jul 6, 2015
    You could look at these games in a different light as well. USA and Sweden will be more fresh than other teams in the knockout phase that could give them an edge as well. The easy group can often be a double edged sword in that regard.

MiLLeNNiuM and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  3. thedexeter

thedexeter Member

Washington Spirit
    United States
    Jul 6, 2015
    Ok, you posted this as I was typing and I was on the previous page. As someone said earlier, great minds think alike!

4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #29 Gilmoy, Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Oddly, Sweden rotated almost nobody (only 2 of 11) for this match. They surely feel that they need the points (and some GD) today. This may imply that they plan to rest starters vs. USA :eek:

40' 2-0 Sung-Ngoen dribbles to 15m mid-left, cross toward 8m right post misses wide right.

41' 3-0 Sornsai(?) heads away through arc left. Rolfö collects at 24m arc left, touches to 22m center to open a window past Intamee, shoots left instep bend curving right, off Boonsing's fingertips into back right high.

blissett repped this.
  5. KimLittle#Magic

Arsenal
    England
    Jun 16, 2019
    Cool. 3-0 up I would now be thinking of putting on any inexperienced players or strong characters who don't usually make starting 11.

6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I get the freshness argument but considering the large majority of the best teams have already qualified with a game to spare I don’t think it’s that much of a positive. You want to be tested under pressure at least slightly before a knockout game. It would have been better for both if they had played each other in the first or second game.

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  7. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #32 Gilmoy, Jun 16, 2019
    43' 3-0 Hurtig taps ball away at box top wide left, Dangda steps on her right foot. Hurtig stays down, stoppage.

45' 3-0 Yellow card on Dangda = 2nd, she misses the match vs. Chile. +1'.

45+1' (of +1') 3-0 Asllani receives at 8m 6-left, spins down to 5m mid-left. Backpass to Anvegård at 9m left post, one-touch shot to 1/4 left, Boonsing catches face-high.

HT 3-0. Sweden 19(8)-(0)1 shots(sog) (it was Nild :D), 4-0 corners, 0-1 offsides, 5-2 fouls, 20-2 crosses(?) [Flanken], 7-29 clearances, 73% possession, 86% (277/321) - (69/102) 68% passing.

8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sigh, my favourite Thai player and her World Cup has basically finished already. :( Ok, I'll have to hope that she scores in this game! :p

Well, same score as USA at HT, so far, isn't it? :coffee:

9. thedexeter

thedexeter Member

Washington Spirit
    United States
    Jul 6, 2015
    Disagree, playing you're toughest opponent last has to give you better preparation before the knockout rounds begin. If you played your toughest opposition early, you could be tempted to relax more during your first knockout game because of who you played in both fixtures after the tough game, but that's just how I look at it.

10. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #35 MiLLeNNiuM, Jun 16, 2019
    It could've been 5-0, if the Swedes could shoot accurately.

11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Boonsing made a good save... with her face! :laugh: And she looks ok and very cool. :giggle:

Edit: correction: she's just being medicated. But she looks quite ok anyway.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  12. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #37 Gilmoy, Jun 16, 2019
    46' 3-0 Sweden subs in (1 of 3) #7 Madelen Janogy for #18 Fridolina Rolfö.

47' 3-0 Sweden left throw-in at 5m, to #_ at 3m mid-left, header back to 5m 6-left. Asllani runs on, flicks foot low and -- misses? Ball bounces through a defender's legs, continues across to 5m 1/4 left. Janogy front-cuts Srangthaisong, shoots left foot hard, Boonsing blocks with chest (and lips :eek:) point-blank at 3m. Ball reflects out to 13m 6-left, Hurtig shoots wide left into the back left support pole.

48' 3-0 Sung-Ngoen cross, Thongsombut soft header drops to 6-top 1/3 left, Lindahl gets a touch.

49' 3-0 Brief stoppage: Boonsing gets some gauze applied to her lip(?).

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  13. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    52' 3-0 Eriksson right ck, to 6m 1/6 right. Hurtig twist-heads and half-whiffs, ball glances off her head, off left shoulder, wide right.

53' 3-0 Glas shoots from ~arc top box right to 1/4 right, Boonsing catches.

55' 3-0 Eriksson(?) backpass to Glas receives unmarked through box top right to 3m mid-right, backpass blocked to 2m 3-right and Thailand poke over.

56' 3-0 Thailand subs in (1 of 3) #13 Orathai Srimanee for #12 Rattikan Thongsombut.

14. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #39 Gilmoy, Jun 16, 2019
    57' 3-0 Chinwong volleys a clearance at arc top, ball hits Hurtig squarely in the left jaw. Stoppage, Hurtig stays down, trainers apply ... a protocol?

59' 3-0 Hurtig returns.

63' 3-0 Sung-Ngoen takes ball from Seger, jukes past Fischer(?) at circle top left, continues to 15m wide left. No support in the middle, she turns back and gets closed down, ball poked away. Sweden miss a pass through box top center for #_, Boonsing comes up to 14m and collects.

68' 3-0 Thailand advance up the left past circle top. #_ perfect outside-in ground pass from 30m wide left to Intamee at 9m mid-left. Intamee touches to 7m mid-left, shross blocked by Fischer(?) sliding, ball pops up to 4m 6-left and Lindahl catches it.

69' 3-0 Sweden subs in (2 of 3) #22 Olivia Schough for #17(c) Caroline Seger (and (c)=> Asllani?).

15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    By that point though the game is pretty much a dead rubber. Which risks the case of the intensity not being there during the game. Also I think coming second might be better in this group looking at the likely draw.

16. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Sweden seems to be backing off this half, but I hope they know that if their match vs. US ends in a draw, USA wins the group.

17. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    72' 3-0 Janogy receives at box top mid-right, dribbles to 12m 6-right, shoots left foot rising toward right post, off Schough's right (ahem) upper hamstring ;), over endline right. That's 1 shot on frame + 1 blocked shot :laugh:
    1140265147132448768 is not a valid tweet id

75' 3-0 Sung-Ngoen chases down ball at 1m wide right, cross floats over Nild through 11m 6-left. Thailand recycle, Dangda shoots softly from 25m mid-left, it slowly rolls to Lindahl.

77' 3-0 Sweden subs in (3 of 3) #20 Mimmi Larsson for #19 Anna Anvegård.

blissett repped this.
  18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wow, Sung-Ngoen ran so much in this match and made so many good actions happen for her team that she alone would deserve a goal for her incredible effort! :x3:

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  19. footyfan933

footyfan933 Member

Jun 6, 2019
    Sweden urgently need the speed of a Christine Sinclair

:notworthy:

Romario'sgurl and soccernutter repped this.
  20. thedexeter

thedexeter Member

Washington Spirit
    United States
    Jul 6, 2015
    Christine Sinclair - speed? What? I think you have the wrong player. She's one of the best to ever do it, but speed she has not.

21. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    #46 Kakeru, Jun 16, 2019
    See? Nothing to be over-exuberant about when scoring the team's 4th goal against an opponent that does not have enough resources to put up a fightback.

*Puts on Liam Neeson's voice* I'm looking at YOU, Megan Rapinoe!:coffee:

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  22. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #47 Gilmoy, Jun 16, 2019
    81' 3-0 Thailand subs in (2 of 3) #15 Orapin Waen-Ngoen for #13 Orathai Srimanee, who came on at 56'. Injured after only 25' :(

81' 4-0 Eriksson plays a give-and-go with Larsson, down wide left to 6m, crosses to 8m 1/4 right. Hurtig outjumps Chinwong(?), heads across mouth past Boonsing's left hand, into back right edge 1/2 high.

83' 4-0 Janogy(?) crosses from arc top mid-right to 15m center, Schough twist-heads to right post 1/2 high, Boonsing catches.

23. footyfan933

footyfan933 Member

Jun 6, 2019
    [​IMG]

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  24. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Looking at the US women’s team v Chile. Looks like a lot of changes.

25. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wow, Srimanee came in at 56' for Thailand and was subbed out at 81'. An injury, I suppose...