Match thread: U.S. U17s vs. Paraguay, 10/16/17, 10:30 a.m. ET

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Thundering165, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    It's official; we've got Paraguay in the round of 16. They beat Mali, New Zealand, and Turkey to get here. Paraguay finished higher than Colombia in qualifying but lost to them head to head. They will probably be favored against the USA.

2. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    for perspective, paraguay about the same population as the state of washington

TheFalseNine and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    And we get the winner of England/Iraq vs Japan if we managed to come out on top against Paraguay. Don't have a lot of faith right now being an Indians/Nats/Caps fan, and obviously a USMNT fan. Feel like I'm carrying an epic curse w/me from other sports into US soccer fandom like that cartoon dude w/the dark cloud that follows him over his head.

Anyway, if nothing else, we may have got the minimum rest, but unlike many other tournaments in recent years, we have equal rest to our opponent instead of less, so at least there is that.

dwsmith1972 and yabo repped this.
  4. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even sure if this team can beat Paraguay right now. We have great players but as long as we have such a sh*tty coach, we're gonna lose the games that matter.

5. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    If we come out on top of Paraguay, that's great; I don't think there's going to be an "easy" quarterfinal matchup for any team so hair pulling on who our opponent will be after that seems pointless.

I think the USA went into the Colombia game complacent and got wrecked by a team that was fighting for the next round. If they show up like that on Monday, it'll be a problem. If they learn from their mistakes, I think we have a good shot.

FirstStar, Gacm32, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  6. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    #6 beerslinger23, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017

English Speaking Serious Football USA is only 2 or 3 million people at most. That's the relevant number.

As for the thread, Paraguay looks conspicuously like Venezuela for the U20 event. That team was a handful for our tired players and I don't see them getting past this team. Should have ran a b lineup against COLOMBIA and let the chips fall where they may. Winning the group and having no legs left is pointless.

adam tash and deejay repped this.
  7. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    lol 'at get it now' like you just didnt spout off some opinions as if they were facts

8. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    #8 beerslinger23, Oct 13, 2017
    That soccer is no big deal as a men's game here and considered a women's sport or was it something else? Yeah you got me going so I reacted and then edited the inappropriate post to not only protect myself from moderation but to keep from letting you troll me with the BUT POPULATION style arguments and drag the thread.

9. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9 Guinho, Oct 13, 2017
    I've always wondered how these best third allocations work. Does anyone know what the rules are? As in, why do we have Paraguay and not Iran?

EDIT:

Answered my own question: There's a table in the tournament regulations. Since Mexico and Chile cannot both finish on one point, we have the best thirds from groups A D E F

A D E F 1A v 3D, 1B v 1A (US), 1C v 3F, and 1D v 3E
    http://resources.fifa.com/mm/docume...ion/02/88/01/81/reg_fu17wc2017_en_neutral.pdf
    (see PDF page 27)

In the irony department,
    if the US had beaten or tied colombia, we'd play NIger instead, which would have been ok,
    but if we'd lost by only one goal, then we'd have have gotten GERMANY instead of Paraguay!:eek:

Sometimes it pays to lose...

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Paraguay's population is about the same percentage of ours as Ghana's is of India's.

This probably means something!

;)

Mr Martin, chad, Gacm32 and 4 others repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not a bad team for us to face. We should be able to beat them.

lmorin repped this.
  12. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put him in da bathroom!

13. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect the delicate little US flowers to wilt when Paraguay punches them in the face.

And then this board will get excited about results in meaningless games for a couple years. Then the next round of delicate little US flowers disappoint everyone when opponents actually start trying . Rinse and repeat.

14. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this edition's U17 team really that soft? I ask because I don't normally follow the U-teams compared to the full MNT.

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Thanks for reminding me I need to bring the snacks to my son's rec league game tomorrow.

ps. At 13 he's finally allowed to head the ball. :)

Gacm32 and Ironbound repped this.
  16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    No soft, just complacent. Like us.

Gacm32 repped this.
  17. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Compared to Colombia? Yes. Compared to other US teams? Not really.

Gacm32 repped this.
  18. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    I wouldn't say soft, just saving something for the next round and playing tired against a COL side who needed to win to guarantee passage and possibly win a tight group. Does one result undo the whole cycle? Not a group stage match where they boys were already through against an opponent who we had circled as uniquely dangerous on the attack.

I don't see us advancing past Paraguay but i do think the matchup will be more favorable for our small technical players up front to create and score. Colombia was not only technical but physically stronger and Paraguay are smaller and less of a matchup problem for Andrew and George. I also think there will be less of a speed problem in back. Colombia broke through because of unique features to their side. In my mind going in they were on of the most dangerous sides in the event even while missing their star striker at the moment.

Is Germany better than Paraguay? The total destruction Iran unleashed upon them makes me wonder. Is the weather getting to the Germans?

Guinho repped this.
  19. Timm

Timm Member

Fc Barcelona
    United States
    Oct 6, 2017
    Having Goslin suspended will be a blessing in disguise. Now we can play someone who can actually pass properly

I wish Hackworth gave Booth a chance just in case we need him later. Now we have no idea what he looks like against top u17 competition

Eighteen Alpha and Gacm32 repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Since when is he suspended?

21. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given how incompetent the USSF is, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the U17-es bent over, just like the Senior Team did against Trinidad.

The USSF is soft and our teams are soft. Why should we expect them to do much of anything these days?

22. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like some pussy ass thinking to me. I haven't seen anything from the U17's to indicate that they're soft.

Our senior team representing a youth development landscape from 20 years ago just failed.

We certainly have structural issues we need to fix within our current model as well, but I can't get down with the inferiority complex.

FlipsLikeAPancake and beerslinger23 repped this.
  23. Timm

Timm Member

Fc Barcelona
    United States
    Oct 6, 2017
    ^ Nice reference to the movie Idiocracy

I agree. I don’t think the team is soft either. What they are lacking is:

1). Technical players that are starting outside of the top 5 of: Sargent, Carleton, Acosta, Durkin, and Weah. The rest of the players are weak in this aspect. A team like Spain or Brazil has technical players at EVERY position.

This comes down to player selection. Hackworth could have played Booth or Indiana more but decided against it because he lives in his own world

2). Movement off the ball is poor. This comes down to coaching. We can’t play a free flowing attacking style if players don’t know how to create space for themselves. And this comes down to Hackworth again.

With all the money US Soccer has, I always wonder why they don’t pluck some really good Dutch or Spanish youth coach. We need that outside knowledge because we obviously don’t have it right now.

24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    10 years ago. Guys developed 20 years ago were tough as nails.

25. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    reading between the lines, you seem to be hinting that there is some sort of ol boy network in US Soccer...an inner sanctum, if you will....the type of environment where "who you know" is more important than what you offer.

personally, i'm surprised this guy hackworth is still a youth national team coach...seems to me he's tried and failed multiple times in the past. he's mediocre and uninspiring. and i know its wrong but i just cant seem to shake the fact that the first letters in his name are HACK. (as in, this guy sucks he's a hack)...

i think coaches and players like him stay in position because the bar for expectations is just so low....when teams dont do well it fits in with the general performance of the federation and therefore even when that under-performance might be truly attributable to poor coaching...that fact isn't clear because of the legacy of similar results from similar teams in the past. people only zero-in on the poor coaching when the results are staggeringly low a la bruce in wcq....but you can have decent or even good results and have poor coaching at the same time.....a team could finish in the quarterfinals for instance whereas another better coach couldve taken the same team to the championship. wouldnt that qf finish be poor coaching then??

i dont think ussoccer is at the point where people can look past results in judging performance...which is a bigger problem than most realize. jusr because a forward scored a goal doesnt mean he had a good game. . and just because a team won doenst mean all the players played well....whihc, when judging player ratings in ussf....seems to be a point that is lost on many us soccer observers/writers/fans/coaches.

TheFalseNine repped this.