Match thread: Netherlands vs Ireland, Poland and Austria.

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, May 27, 2016.

1. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    #151 Laurent75, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    You clearly overate the coach's tasks in a game. You're talking as if Blind had a talkie walkie and was talking with the players every second, positionning each of them at different places during every corner kick. He's not playing chess. Of course coachs work on corner kicks and situations, but there's always a part of spontaneity. Maybe Blind had asked Van Ginkel to do something different that the crap he did on the corner kick, but you'd put the blame on Blind. And if Blind doesn't use Van Ginkel again because of that mistake he made, you'll say he is a bad coach cause you like Ginkel :)

It reaches to a point where the criticism doesn't even make sense anymore. Blind isn't a good coach but he has much more than an elementary knowledge. He knows about tactics better than us for sure. If he was soooooo bad, the players would complain.

Orange14 repped this.
  2. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We have to go back to basics. Forget about Blind. Forget the different positions people take about him. Let us say that his position and appointment are not in question. We just analyze what is presented to us. Do you think the issues I outlined in my post earlier on with corners can be prevented by a coach?

Same question to you. Forget the whole discussion. Forget your own position, Forget my position. Forget any positions people have taken or that there should be any consequences for a coach. Lets say, you are the instructor of Blind. He is a student of yours and this game is used for him to get better at his job. Can the positioning of players with their wrong foot at the respective poles be brought up in a post match analyses and can you think of ways for him to not let that happen in the future?

Finally, after having now conceded so many goals from set pieces/corners, would you instruct him to just continue the way it is going, or would you consider trying zonal marking or, something else, leaving 1 man free that purely is there to intercept the ball and has to man mark nobody?

3. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Willems just can't defend, he is by far the worst defender in any Top 50 team probably. I think even if Van Aanholt gets those many games, he will end up doing a bit better defensively than Willems.

Considering that we need fast, pacy creative wingers & CM's, it's a no brainer that Willems should be moved to those slots away from LB where he has no clue about defending!

4. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Also Wijnaldum brings end product & some workrate & he covered a lot for Willems the 2nd match. IMO he did betetr than Baz & MVG. He should start with Strootman as the 2 Box to Box for the shorrt period, till we can sort this mess out, I wish we had a guy like Ziyech there.

Anyways the major issue was the base of mid-field, someone to dictate the tempo. We need Sneijder there, Clasie can't dictate the tempo. That realls sets up the mid-field. Stroot coming back from an injury looked in a much better league than these flops btw. Depay should be benched for now.

We should start with Promes & Robben & Promes IMO can't do worse.

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    All the coach can do is prepare the players the best way he knows how that is consistent with the tactical approach and the ability of the players. The latter point well explains the tactics of van Marwijk and van Gaal who broke with the long standing Dutch tradition (that is still embraced by most Eredivisie clubs) of an attacking 4-3-3 formation. Each coach recognized that there were problems with the personnel and they could not do this. van Marwijk was more fortunate in that van Persie, Robben and Snjeider were four years younger than they were under van Gaal.

Blind has a bunch of middling players to choose from and when van Dijk is the MOTM as he was yesterday (IMO) you see what a bad hand he has been dealt. A manager can draw things up on the chalkboard and they can do things in practice (none of which we know about) but he CAN NOT account for brain farts and screw ups. As I said, other than the van Ginkel foul up, the defense was pretty well organized against Poland who had ONLY lost one out their 19 previous matches!!! Netherlands was better on attack than Poland and given the personnel performed quite well.

I think instead of piling on Blind which seems to be a regular feature of this forum, we consider why the NVKB is doing such a poor job in terms of a strategic plan and why the biggest club in the country had a U-Turn manager for six years!!!!

Blondo repped this.
  6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Is there a twin brother we don't know about?:D

7. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think a Pep or Mourinho would get a bit better results, but not much better.

They're not miracle workers. They can only do so much

Jalepinho and bunbohue repped this.
  8. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    With Mou or Pep, at least we would qualify for Euro, not winning the title but qualified, and this summer will be much better.

9. Jalepinho

Jalepinho Member

Aug 18, 2014
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    with the current bunch, we might be better off hiring the greek coach that won them the Euros. team effort to Park the bus and go for that 1-0 score. i'm not saying Oranje should do this but its proven with a mediocre skilled team this is what works.

Laurent75 repped this.
  10. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Where we differ is that I think that when players randomly occupy the poles (wrong leg towards the inside of the goal) and even in different numbers with each new corner, that the preparation on this not unimportant detail is just plain bad. We saw it with the short corners against the Czech at home and away. Neither do we see a new strategy to counter corners.

Anyway to each their own. I continue to focus on the organisation with dead ball moments. Don't feel attacked by it in any way. It is just me being a fan and wanting the best for the NT. We agree that this last game was a bit of a nice surprise after the Ireland game. I also said that even at half time. It was better than I expected. We can move on.

11. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    They have limits. Foppe de Haan would have killed it at the Euro though, after qualifying us with maximum points.

Orange champions celebrations on the Tjeukemeer. Would have been priceless. :thumbsup:

12. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
  13. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  14. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  15. Sybe Pals

Sybe Pals Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Comox, BC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Netherlands 11 v Austria

Zoet
    Tete - Bruma - van Dijk - van Aanholt
    Wijnaldum - Bazoer - Strootman
    Berghuis - Janssen - Promes

16. Sybe Pals

Sybe Pals Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Comox, BC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This Netherlands starting 11 vs. Austria have amassed 113 caps, their second-fewest going into a game this century.

The last four friendly games between The Netherlands and Austria have seen 21 goals, average of 5.3 per game.
    Let's make sure we score them!

And let's see if we see an improvement on set pieces while continuing to keep our opponents from scoring open play goals against us.

17. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I like the fact that Zoet is starting

[​IMG]

nurvin and Sybe Pals repped this.
  18. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Do we really need 2 holding midfielders against Austria??
    Although you could argue Stroot isnt a classic HMF

19. nurvin

nurvin Member

Feb 11, 2011
    ^ Did you want Strootman + van Ginkel ?
    It seems that Blind never changes the CBs.

20. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah I don't get this Bazoer love. How is van Ginkel not better? No van Ginkel does not have great passing, but then we move on an watch at Bazoers and I don't see anything great with him. Van Ginkel has a better cross and can score better. maybe Bazoer can make a point today as I have not seen it before.

Anyway Austria had a great qualification. Did not track that. Should be the hardest of the 3 we play. We must win. Winning is a habit and we need to finally string W's together. Second this is not concede from another corner or dead ball moment. Blind has had enough time to iron out the pupil mistakes he made. had days to hammer on this point, now I want to see the result.

I am going to watch Berghuis. I detect weakness with him. Is he able to do his defensive job? Is he able to run past a defender? Also Promes has yet to make in impression in all the games he has played now. So the wingers are on the spot for me.

Sybe Pals and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  21. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think I rather have vGinkel, yup.
    He has a lot more goal scoring ability than Bazoer.

But alas, its just a friendly

22. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Was that Hans Krankl in the crowd??

23. Sybe Pals

Sybe Pals Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Comox, BC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Blind said after Poland:
    “I don’t want to change too much anymore. We need to start solidify a team.”

So you are probably looking at his intended lineup besides:
    Cillessen-Zoet-Krul?
    Willems-van Aanholt?
    Veltman-Tete?
    Robben>Berghuis
    Sneijder>Wijnaldum
    (depending on fitness)

24. Sybe Pals

Sybe Pals Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Comox, BC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hoping he is just giving experience to Bazoer, and maybe Wijnaldum in 10 also.
    IMO a Strootman / van Ginkel combo behind either Sneijder (if fit form) or Pröpper might be our strongest midfield.
    Still hope to see Vilhena get a chance tonight