Match Thread - CANCHAMP - Toronto FC at Ottawa Fury - May 23, 2017 (R)

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by atlanticTFCfan, Mar 7, 2015.

1. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    What/When
    • Toronto FC will pay a visit to TD Place Stadium in Ottawa, Ontario to take on the Ottawa Fury FC of the United Soccer League in the first leg of a 2017 Canadian Championship semifinal on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 7:30 pm EDT.
    TV/Video
    Radio/Audio
    • None as of yet

2. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Got our tickets to this one to provide some away support for TFC. Looks like it will be a good crowd as all open stadium sections are showing sold out or low availability. They opened a second section for general admission, too.

I'm expecting to see a lot of TFC players who don't usually get starts as well as some TFC II call ups. I'm looking forward to the chance to see some of TFC's young Canadian talent on the field.

3. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think Bradley will finally take a break. Cheyrou, Hamilton, Moor, Osorio, Chapman, Endoh, Cooper should be fresh for this

4. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The great thing about the amount of depth at the first team level is that they don't have to dip down to TFC II to rotate guys in.

In addition to the guys that GoodDead mentioned, Irwin will probably be in goal which is a story in and of itself as his pro career started in Ottawa.

5. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is the play in this game?

7. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    people are watching?

8. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently not.

9. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    twitter tells me the Fury are up 2-1 late in the match.

10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yikes. Toronto was up at half.

11. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

12. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  13. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the vaunted TFC depth is a bit overstated.

15. whitbytfcfan

whitbytfcfan Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I just watched the second half. I know it's a different squad rotating some different players into the lineup but Raheem Edwards was absolutely dreadful. Incredible how someone playing at such a high level recently could suddenly lay an egg like that. Poor ball movement, horrific defending. Looked like TFC 2010 or 2011 out there.

16. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Never saw it but I have seen other teams go through this....when you rotate almost the entire starting 11 but leave some in there....the ones left in the squad can play stinkers....almost like they feel "why me...why do I have to play in this lesser tournament"

17. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I saw the game but I don't think it's as bad as it's being made out to be. They played down below the level of their opposition to be sure, however that's not to say that they didn't create more chances than Ottawa. Very poor finishing combined with two asinine mistakes cost them the first leg.

The second leg will ultimately come down to what kind of lineup Vanney will play. Of course the easy thing is the say that Altidore, Vazquez and Bradley should be out there but he still has to put three Canadians in there too. Might we see Osorio, Chapman, Hamilton and Ricketts to start the game with Vazquez and Altidore coming off the bench? Or will he just play the minimum three? Will he put Morrow at RB and Morgan at LB to rest Beitashour again?

18. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Yeah, a bit rusty and rather green too.

That said, we got an away goal and have deeper team we can play at home.

Even if we bow out of the semi-final, we still would have a play down game (as 2016 winners) for the CCL spot.

19. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I would go with as many Canadians as we can muster and just go with it.

The game means nothing......this year the only value to winning this tournament is avoiding a playoff later in the year to determine who goes to the CCL next year.

20. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    from a fixture management perspective should they bow out now and turn their path to CCL into a 3 match attempt....or win this tie and face either a 4 or 5 match path to CCL?

21. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Bodes well for the tournament as a whole if non-MLS sides can show that they stand a chance.

22. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Most of that team last night could use the playing time IMO.

The one game CCL playoff is in August - a semi-final loss frees up two dates when we're fixture congested in June, though most of the first XI won't be called upon until August.

If we win the semi next week, we've got a two legged final that we can play depth for.

Ideally we try to win with a lineup we saw last night to give these players minutes - though I'd hope we are competitive for the domestic hardware too, so a slightly stronger lineup may be warranted next week.

23. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Terrible game for Edwards and Chapman. Endoh didn't look great either. The back line was OK in the first half but started to look disorganized in the second. I'm hoping this has more to do with rust than with anything else. Cheyrou did well.

For the next game, it comes to how badly TFC wants to do in this tournament. They could keep the same line up and see how it goes, or bring out Bradley, Altidore & Vasquez if they want to ensure that they advance. My feeling is that they'll likely do something in between: start with a lighter lineup, but be ready to change things up if they don't start doing well.

24. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I was at the game last night. A fun time if a disappointing result. Some comments:

TFC looked like a bunch of players who haven't played together before - which isn't surprising since that's largely what they were. Individually, most of them had more talent than their Ottawa counterparts but Ottawa was a fluid team. Even with that, it took an unfortunate penalty, a stupid error, and some poor TFC finishing for Ottawa to win. TFC's first team would crush Ottawa in the return leg if Vanney chose to trot it out.

Some player comments in no particular order.

Great game by Cheyrou.

Osorio was silent in the first half but really stepped up after Cheyrou went off. He moved into a more Michael Bradley like role and did a decent job at marshalling the midfield.

Cooper was useless. Trying to dribble through multiple defenders, errant passes, no willingness to challenge for 50 50 balls. I was glad to see him subbed off.

Edwards started okay but seemed to get frustrated. By the second half he was not playing intelligently. After the penalty call Irwin was screaming at him but I didn't see why.

Irwin had a good game. He made one huge save and his distribution was good.

Chapman and Endoh couldn't quite click down the right side. They had some decent passing exchanges but couldn't turn it into anything actually dangerous. Chapman had that terrible pass across his own net to set up the winning goal. I'm not sure if it is lack of skill or lack of confidence but Endoh just didn't seem to have the zip to penetrate the opposing defence. He wasn't striking fear into the defender so the defender didn't respect him and, with one exception, was able to mark him close and shut him down.

Hamilton was fairly quiet except for the nice give and go with Cheyrou on the goal.

It was good to see Morgan back. He looked at bit understandably rusty but also looked to be playing out of position so it was hard to say.

I was impressed by Mitchell Taintor. He played a tight game and made some good defensive plays to break up potential scoring chances. The hand ball was unfortunate. It was a valid call but it was an unlucky case of the ball hitting his hand in the box. It wasn't like he was waving his arms in the air or had made a stupid tackle to give up a penalty.

Finally, I credit Ottawa for playing the game. They didn't indulge in a bunch of egregious time wasting when they were ahead late which was nice to see. The Ottawa fans were also great and 7611 is pretty good crowd for a Tuesday night up against the Sens' game six.