PBP: Match Day Thread USA Panama, Orlando World Cup Qualifier

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by deuteronomy, Oct 6, 2017.

1. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    i knew panama would choke. they always choke. they are the uzbekistan of CONCACAF.

OG Junglist and Suyuntuy repped this.
  3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Well, that escalated quickly...

Are you saying, like, Bruce, when he was in Germany, did Brooks' thigh and messed up Fabio on purpose? "Cause that would be really mean of him.

TOAzer and jackiesdad repped this.
  4. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Name one currently available German-American player who deserves to be there and isn't.

5. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    I said what I said. There are no german american players on the roster and Bruce has said some knuckle head shit about dual nationals before

“Players on the national team should be–and this is my own feeling–they should be Americans. If they’re all born in other countries, I don’t think we can say we are making progress.”
    -B.A.

He has openly speculated on the loyalties of dual nationals and now there are no more german american players in the XI or even in the bench. No matter what you say, this remains true.

You can't soften it with rhetoric.

6. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    I don't have to. Bruce said this

“Players on the national team should be–and this is my own feeling–they should be Americans. If they’re all born in other countries, I don’t think we can say we are making progress.”

checkmate.

7. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    1) First of all, if we're taking this statement purely at face value, I agree with every word of it. "If they're ALL born in other countries" then I agree that we are NOT making progress as a country. It then becomes just a group of hired guns without a national identity. That doesn't imply any "ethnic cleansing".

2) It was clear during the Klinsmann era that, in his opinion, just having a German birth certificate made you a better soccer player than someone born in the USA. Are we really to believe that Julian Green was a better choice than Landon Donovan for the 2014 World Cup roster?

3) Name an American-born player on the Argentina roster. The England roster. The Spain roster. The Italy roster. Are all those coaches guilty of "ethnic cleansing" because they have refused to have any American-born players on their teams?

4) How do you explain the presence of Juan Agudelo (born in Colombia), Benny Feilhaber (born in Brazil), and Darlington Nagbe (born in Liberia) on the current 23? Why weren't they "ethnically cleansed"? By putting your blinders on and only focusing
    only on German born players, you are setting up an artificial situation which creates a self-fulfilling prophecy. How about we call Klinsmann bigoted because he refused to have any players born in Tuvalu, or Palau, or San Marino, or Liechtenstein on the team?

Checkmate, swish, walkoff, booyah, Yahtzee, UNO, Jumanji, Snake eyes, Colonel Mustard in the Library with the Lead Pipe, I Sunk Your Battleship...

sitruc and TOAzer repped this.
  8. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slinger,
    I don't usually do this,but you already lost.Don't double down on your mistaken position.
    Please just don't mention Juergen Klinsmann as any kind of a coach again,whether by implication or directly.It makes you lose credibility on your other points.

taylor and jackiesdad repped this.
  9. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    We can wait to 2018 (hopefully: spit, toss salt, knock wood, cross, cross again, grab the rosary, toss coins in the fountain...) to see how many "dual nationals" make the team.

As far as rhetoric, your mileage may vary, but I tend to discourage devaluing words like "ethnic cleansing" and "purges" in casual context. But that may be just me.

11. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Split the difference. Pennsylvania Dutch (Deutsch) region. ;)

12. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    That's what he's doing by definition though.
    I am sure the first definition of ethnic cleansing fits what bruce has done.

I don't agree.

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #913 freisland, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    I'm not going to dance this around too much, but didn't Arena ADD a "player born in another country" - Benny F? Isn't Nagbe born someplace else? Bruce's quote was not specific to Germany...

And if there are dual national German-Americans on the roster in 2018 (if we make it: spit, spit, toss salt, cross, touch wood) and Arena is coach I do hope you will send him an apology.

"Czech, Mate."

14. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As you get older,you'll realize you don't get to decide how credible you are.
    Other people do..

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Take out the bias and evaluate players based on how they have actually played for the NT, not where they play and how prestigious their club is.

If Johnson or Chandler were with MLS, people would be fine with their omission. They bring nothing to the table.

That fixation with the club's prestige is typical of novice fans to the game.

russ and deuteronomy repped this.
  16. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010

I don't even exist man;it's all in your head.

17. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Yeah sure.

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    On the Internet, so far you know, all the "other people" is just a single guy with many accounts.

19. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must have this board confused with Reddit. Bots and socks get run off here

20. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A phantom menace?
    It's treason then.

21. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    As long as you're sure. That's the important thing.

freisland repped this.
  22. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    I don't agree with any of his shit statement. Bruce can go to hell for that and the half ass apology. He should have just doubled down but then he couldn't have been given the manager position again could he.

Nonsense. You opinion, not facts. JK had a preference for guys who could play with the ball comfortably at high speed and under the pressure of international competition. The german american players kicked ass for us in the world cup and Copa in general. Just, no. Please stop with this line of attack.
    What the ******** is your point? None of those nations have the statue of liberty and claim to be a bastion of opportunity and fairness for the downtrodden or any of that Jazz. SO they are the standard we are going to aspire to now? They are the model? We are the US so why bring them up? This line of attack should have died for you when you stopped eating paste and fingerpainting

He can ethnically cleanse one group of dual nationals from locations X, Y and Z while giving preference to others.

Maybe you should diagram your ideas or run them by someone to make sure they are relevant to the conversation before you post them.

Now you are directly defending comments Bruce apologized for and we have a personal problem.

23. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    eth·nic cleans·ing
    ˈeTHnik klenziNG/
    noun
    noun: ethnic cleansing
    1. the mass expulsion or killing of members of an unwanted ethnic or religious group in a society.
    Anything else you want to add?

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    You funny, du.

russ and jackiesdad repped this.
  25. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Nah, man. You've got this.

MPNumber9 and russ repped this.