PBP: Match Day Thread USA Panama, Orlando World Cup Qualifier

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by deuteronomy, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He made a huge difference. Absolutely crucial.

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Panama handed us this one. This is the worst they've played in a long time.

kennytt and nfiniti repped this.
  3. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    I think that isn't quite fair. They had four players behind Pulisic when he scored the first goal. There were plenty of players back for Altidore's also. The US flubbed the more wide open chances. From there Panama had to attack. They weren't worried about the goal differential because Honduras' is so bad and they play CR and Mexico. The US didn't leave them in position to hang back.

4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Congratulations at least to Arena for starting Arriola in lieu of Acosta. I saw Arriola close on a Panamanian intruder a time or two and thought to myself, thank heavens the cavalry has arrived and Acosta is back at the Fort cleaning the latrine.

5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I didn't watch the whole game. Got bored around 60'. I noticed that we started winning balls in midfield when Dax came in and I don't mean just tackling guys and grabbing the ball. Winning balls can be done through positioning as well.

I guess I'm saying that people can say what they want about McCarty - and I tend to agree about the fear of a sudden brain fart from Dax - but he knows how to play and Arena's selection doesn't.

kennytt and jackiesdad repped this.
  6. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    It was the end of the match and the battle had been won. I wouldn't take too much from the last 25minutes or so. Maybe dax earned a start against T&T but once again, weak opponent like in Gold Cup so we don't know but I don't mind having him on the roster.

kennytt and nfiniti repped this.
  7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It's not taking too much to say that we started winning balls in midfield when previously we had not and were losing balls in midfield. I'm not suggesting it means Dax should start in Russia. Just that I started noticing the contrast of us winning balls because previously we had not been doing that.

kennytt and jackiesdad repped this.
  8. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Sure he was winning balls in the midfield in garbage time. Ok.

Excellency repped this.
  9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Exactly. And the others were not - both in garbage time and not in garbage time.

TOAzer repped this.
  10. nyqs81

nyqs81 Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the words of Nuke Laloosh, "I f***ing love winning!"

Master O repped this.
  11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yup. I'm not criticizing how he played, I'm just saying physically he reminds me of Barney Rubble: short-ish, stocky, with a big blond square head and small eyes.

12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    yes, I agree. Your post just reminded me of something positive that I saw in midfield before dropping the game and doing something else. However, while we are on the subject, how much worse would he be than Bradley? I've seen them so much that I know McCarty would be more active and pick out the play on offence much better and I also know that when he wants to Bradley can stone some pretty good players 1 v 1 who would swat McCarty away - altho, truth be told, McCarty would pr0obably sink his teeth into the guys leg in response to the insult.:D

13. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

14. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    He's sort of a cross between Barney Rubble and Samwise Gamgee:
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Wb6XPXd7P42kM/giphy.gif

Bajoro, TOAzer and Cool Hand Luke repped this.
  15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who did he win it over? It won't be Bradley at 6. He doesn't fit the 4 man diamond mid so it wouldn't be Nagbe or Arriola. Only way he earns a start is if we change tactics and while Bruce will likely change his tactics for this game i doubt it will be to include Dax.

16. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena's post game interview comments: he put Dax in because Bradley was outnumbered. I liked the way Dax played, but it wasn't simply his play that made the difference. The extra body in that space allowed us to assert more control in the midfield.

FlipsLikeAPancake and freisland repped this.
  17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #892 OWN(yewu)ED, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Bruce doesnt need any help looking competent just like JK didnt need any help looking not competent. MPNumber9 made a very fair compare and contrast argument about what Panama attempted to do and what Mexico succeeded in doing against us because of a shocking formation decision (and im sure without much direction other than "go have fun"). Hes purged the underperformers/uninteresteds like Chandler and perhaps FJ, who has fallen off a cliff in a nats uniform. JJ got old, hes done. Pulisic and Wood are still there, and Brooks would be if healthy. Sorry/not sorry we are done calling in Morales, Terrence Boyd, and that kid playing in what i think was Liechtenstein. The Germericans who deserve to be there are, and the ones who arent on the same page with the rest of the squad are not. JK is done, and his reputation precedes him as a horrible coach, and his replacement has done about 90 percent of what we could ask him to do given the circumstances of a destroyed locker room. THOSE are the facts.

schrutebuck, russ, Bajoro and 1 other person repped this.
  18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I was gonna say this too! I was!! I swear...

I mean, without commenting on MB or Dax play, swapping a 2 way middie who can tackle for a guy playing a whole lotta #10 better get you more ballwinning or something going very wrong.

bungadiri repped this.
  19. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, we pulled an injured attacker for a stay at home CM, while up 3 goals.

Standard.

20. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the baseball playoffs,so how fitting we have a grand slam here.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  21. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    He shouldn't even have been in the lineup, he has not been starter material for a while. Bolillo is a damn fool, Escobar should have started.

jnielsen and kennytt repped this.
  22. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a messy game plan or tactics...So happy that we won a must-win game...

nfiniti repped this.
  23. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    Bolillo is an arrogant prick at times. He's questioning the soccer knowledge of basically our finest sports journalist. He just has to admit he screwed up , no reason for Baloy to BEIn the game and especially no reason to come out with an offensive mindset, when this whole hex we've been successful with the defensive mindset .

24. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    It's been a while since Cooper has been a high impact midfielder. High energy maybe, but def not impact . Don't let those goo
    bruce was smart. Once he saw it was Torres and Baloy back there, all you have to do is go up the middle with CP.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  25. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    [​IMG]

TOAzer, jackiesdad and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.