PBP: Match Day 9: Chelsea FC v. Manchester United

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Anyone know kantes phone number, I need a loan and I've heard he's got £89m in his back pocket.

2. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What...a....win!!! WoW Fantastic performance which I hope stays with us.

Luiz probably should have been red carded.

United's midfield is a mess which reminded me of ours last year. Could have been due to their stretch of games this week but thats just an excuse. Jose's style of play is fading quickly and curious how long United will entertain it. As for the comments afterwords....if true...cry me a f'in river.

Blueallthru repped this.
  3. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I avoided the world for 5 hours and got the match in.

What a ********ing performance from the lads. I'm still pretty jaded though. We're up 4 and have 20 minutes to play and I'm still thinking they'll get 3 and make it a match....

Hazard was a beast. Costa wasn't his best but he'd really pull defenders away ad always had Bailly on him. Thankfully Bailly is their best defender and was focused on Costa and we could attack the other 3. Pedro is tireless. Was impressed with him as I'm normally not, so that was nice. I really like Alonso. Does well on the defensive stuff. Sure he isn't fastest, but is generally in good positions.

Honestly, I couldn't be happier. Great performance and one hell of a way to have the weekend end.

Yahtzee repped this.
  4. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  5. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You’re Not Special Anymore :D

Meeting with his ‘Destiny’ in Manchester

6. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Excuse me?

OPB is an actual beer made in Seattle with yeast from ladies - try a simple google search.

I'm not sure what you're upset about?

7. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Happy Birthday to a die-hard Chelsea fan!

Conte was awesome today. He has the hunger and the will that Jose has sadly lost.

8. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I am not sure about Azpi in a back 3. But I thought Azpi was fine for Chelsea today in the back 3 and I do have some serious doubts about him in a back 3 but he is able to cover for the wing backs because he has experience as a full back and I thought Cahill was one of the players in the back 3 that struggles to cover for the wing backs as Cahill playing as a full back is a real and total liability. Cahill scored and so he had a good game :) Pedro also scored and I really do not like Pedro as a player. Costa was quiet and I would like to see more of Batshuayi and Costa together but that would mean losing Matic maybe and he has been playing well and getting better. Kante is awesome and he worth at least twice as much as Pogba ;)

9. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
  10. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    So it worked?

yasik19 repped this.
  11. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Jose... confirmed clown. Thanks for a good couple of years but you're shot.

12. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Tapatalk for some reason won't display anything via Twitter.

Blueallthru repped this.
  13. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    Loved it. Almost had my wish for a repeat of October 99 granted.

José has totally lost his mind. Showed that last season but is confirming it this one. No one of sound mind has that whinge at Conte, starts (or plays) Fellaini, plays Pogba as a 10, leaves Scheiderlin on the bench, or plays a traffic cone in Ibra without having Rashford alongside as opposed to out wide.

Nice to see the Matic of old is coming back.

14. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I still think he's awesome but he needs a break at the least. It's obvious Madrid broke him.

However, I do not miss his comments at all. I don't miss his untouchables comment, I don't miss him telling Carvalho to get an IQ test, I don't miss him saying stupid stuff, and I don't miss his game plan of total lockdown after scoring.

15. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well, Jose’s biggest defeat as a manager in the premiership was today - that is significant. That is his destiny. I don't feel sorry for him at all and if he had won 4-0 today do you think that he would feel sorry for us?

The fans in London were singing today: You're not special anymore.

Blueallthru repped this.
  16. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    I thought Pedro was off despite his goal. But Chelsea played well, I was rooting for you guys cos I hate the scum that is United and their meltdown is hilarious to me.

17. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #92 StamfordBridgeLions, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    Mourinho later refused point-blank to comment on what he said to Conte. But it is believed that Jose was upset with Conte taunting and humiliating him and it is not like Jose has ever done anything like that and well it is sad innit what he has become and I wonder where Jose will go next and could be manager of Portugal after this season.

And whats the deal with Pogba? Pogba is maybe slightly better than Matic as a midfield player and is more creative than a player like Matic and he is alright but he aint the midfield general that he is cracked up to be

18. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Matic has quietly maintained his status as co-assist leader in the league this year by the way. think he has 5?

he seems to have really gained a lot of confidence back. he has these giant games every once in a while where he seems to take on the challenge of beating his direct opponent. remember when he completely outclassed toure in his prime days at city, and yesterday he completely took pogba out of the game. seems like he almost needs a direct challenge sometimes.

19. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    they showed quite a bit of the pre-game as well, including Liquidator.

20. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What. A. Match.

haven't seen a chelsea team play like that in a long time. i think we were all a little skeptical of the formation but you can count me as a believer until it's found out, and at that point i'm gaining confidence that conte will figure out another counter. this goes a long way towards confidence in Conte overall. i haven't seen a chelsea team that has had so many passing options and players in good positions in a long time. there was always someone ready for the ball. and the vertical passing lanes in particular were impressive. the front three gave so many different available angles while the wingbacks and mids were contantly probing space in the middle for easy layoffs or pressure release. the team pulled Utd all over the pitch and constantly made them react and commit to things they didn't want to do.

i've been thinking this for a while but didn't want to sound like sour grapes but is there a chance the game is starting to pass jose by a little? there have quietly been so many changes in the game lately, his style just doesn't seem as effective as it used to be. but with Pep, Conte, Klopp, and Pochettino bringing so much intensity and tactical differences, i'm just wondering if jose is struggling to keep up a little. it's probably too early to really say that but his record over the past year has been abysmal, and while i think he'll probably figure it out, i just wonder what the deal is right now. he certainly has talent at his disposal.

cokeyounut and Blueallthru repped this.
  21. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It takes a while to regain that confidence if you go through something like Matic did.

That said, he's been quietly getting better.

22. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I personally think the same. He is just so stubborn that he doesn't really adapt tactically and really in building a squad. There are a lot of good pieces at Yanited, but what the hell are they doing. What formation. I'm sure he'll figure it out, but his form over the last 30 matches or so is bottom half of the table stuff.

23. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    also, i may be misreading, but did anyone else notice that mata seemed a little emotional at the end of the game, when he was hugging hazard? probably just sweat and upset with the loss but it seemed like hazard was almost trying to console him.

24. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Not sure he will figure it out... he was so stuck on the 4-2-3-1 last year and did nothing differently from a tactical standpoint until the day he was axed.

25. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Probably just frustrated. He's still loved here. Hell, there are still a lot of the same guys here from his time here.