Match Day 2 (pbp) - Portugal v. Spain- Sochi

Discussion in 'GROUP B: Portugal, Spain, Iran, Morocco' started by soccernutter, Jun 13, 2018.

1. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    It's historically been an issue with the attitude of the FA and the toxic media rather than an isolationist attitude. Youth development was never taken as seriously as elsewhere in Europe until relatively recently, as the sheer amount of professional clubs (and in prior years the influx of Scottish players) would develop enough players to feed the top division before foreign players became common. It's changed recently, and we have some serious talent coming through. They just need to get the game time to develop.

2. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    I didn't know that supporting another club and country deemed me unfit to give my opinion on what I have been seeing for years now. If you actually read my posts you would have read that I think Portugal have a strong collective, but only an in form Ronaldo, can make them an elite squad, able to get results against the best teams in the world. Also, not performing well at WC 2010 or WC2014 is exactly why Portugal didn't "play so well". When he is on, Portugal always have a chance. When Ronaldo retires, and Portugal plays in another big tournament without him we can talk again. Cause we will never agree on this and I'm not one for pointless back and forths. Good luck with the rest of the tournament! :thumbsup:

3. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think they have worthy players on paper, but they need the competition and know how to evolve. The Athlantic is a significant barrier for them. On the other hand, we have a long tradition of importing South American players.

4. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    World cup 2010 was not a great performance, but in the end Portugal did get a draw against Brasil and only lost to the strongest Spanish side in memory by 1-0. You can't even compare that with 2014.

5. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Foreign player quotas and work permits play a part. Many Argentinians and Brazilians can qualify as European players and there's always been strong family ties, especially to Italy and Portugal respectively.

soccernutter repped this.
  6. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    So did the Netherlands in the WC final in 2010, and if we had someone like Ronaldo, we would have had a MUCH better shot at beating them seeing the chances we had, and missed.

7. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm just saying that the calendar didn't help, while it made all the difference in 2016. The team did not underperform in that tournament. And you had Sneijder in great shape.

8. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Spain had 62% possession, 90+% accuracy, scored three, and drew. Portugal scored three and had chances for more. The FIFA rules of full time and replay are going to help the player (Ronaldo) who gets the most abuse. As a Portugal fan I'm hopeful.

9. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    talk about contrast in styles. Spain was much about nothing and portugal did much with nothing.

Funny, I remember watching Hierro's spanish team when he was a player. They did exactly this same damn thing and it's the reason Spain could never challenge.

Their backline was shambolic. They were not given any support on the counters. They might as well be Spain, '94. Please, before you go out, beat the Germans.

kennytt and Joao Bibliotecario repped this.
  10. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    fixed. emphasis on singlehandedly.

11. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Technically I didn't make that comparison, the guy I quoted did. While Sneijder was great, he's no Ronaldo. Ronaldo and Messi are in a different bracket altogether. The pure motivation and energy one gets from playing beside such beast of a players is a very underrated aspect imo.

soccernutter repped this.
  12. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Beat the French!

verde-rubro repped this.
  13. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We are arguing different things. I'm just disappointed that Portugal didn't show the same level of cohesiveness of 2010 and 2012 against stronger Spanish sides, while I think that some of the youngsters have true potential. I'm not downplaying Ronaldo.

14. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Ok, first beat the germans, then the french, then go out. I'd like to see an Argentina v. Portugal final, but Portugal play such a boring style. When Greece won the Euros, I thought I had see an end to it. Then portugal decided to bring sexy back. Oh man.

15. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Not at all ... Costa's elbow was in the vicinity of Pepe's head, but in the end there was no real contact. Pepe simulated the contact.

16. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Because of Messi v Ronaldo? I have Argentina losing to France in the R16. Personally I would go crazy dealing with the casual fans for such a game, they already can barely grasp what stoppage time is, stupid Americans!

17. VolpeWhereAreYou

VolpeWhereAreYou New Member

Real Madrid
    France
    May 28, 2018
  18. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Yeah. It can get irritating. I try and find the local french bars because they yell out the best sounding cuss words. That France v. Portugal with Zidan is probably the single best game of international soccer I've ever seen.

I don't think I will see that caliber of match again in my lifetime.

Joao Bibliotecario repped this.
  19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

GoodDead repped this.
  20. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Population is a poor indicator of a nations ability to produce quality players. It's certainly a factor, but the more important factor is the quality of player development. In the US's case, our player development is very lacking. We miss A LOT of players. Not just because our primary focus is centered around where MLS teams are, but also because our system is Pay to Play, so our players tend to come from rich, white families and we miss most poor, non-whites kids. The US also tends to favor larger, more physical players and kids that are undersized and more technically proficient are filtered out of the system.

Things are certainly improving in the US, but we've just started being serious about player development, so we should start seeing things change in the future.

21. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
  22. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    To argue that Portugal is nothing without Ronaldo is laughable. They'd still be one of the better teams in the tournament. They didn't show it today vs. Spain, but you can't tell me that a team with Guerreiro, Guedes, Bernardo Silva, Andre Silva, Carvalho and Joao Mario is lacking quality.

kennytt repped this.
  23. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Here in the States "soccer" is a hobby, an option for kids with too much energy to wear themselves out. Kids just don't plat pickup soccer. I hate the USMNT, why root for those losers just bc I'm American? They don't deserve it. The women do, they struggle and work. Totally different bc America's top sports exclude women.

24. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I literally posted about this being my favorite Portugal memory, just yesterday. Thanks!

25. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Defiende a tu pollo, doctor! [Christian Martinoli mode OFF]