Match 9: USA-CRC - ZAMBRANO (ECU)

Discussion in 'Copa América 2016 - Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 7, 2016.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tuesday June 7, 2016 - 8:00 (EDT) - Chicago
    Referee: Roddy Zambrano

Assistant Referee 1: Byron Romero
    Assistant Referee 2: Luis Vera
    Fourth Official: Jhon Pitti (PAN)

This thread is for all pre-match, play-by-play and post-match discussion and analysis of the refereeing team. Per the forum guidelines (http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/welcome-forum-guidelines.2032251/), this thread will be heavily moderated. For more general or partisan discussions of the match, please go to the general Group thread or the individual team forums.

2. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Good penalty call, but I'd love to see him give out some YCs for the many Costa Ricans that surrounded/bumped him, then meandered around the box while the PK was set up.
    To be fair, it was probably no worse than usual, but still...

That Cherokee and oxwof repped this.
  3. oxwof

oxwof Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Especially the one who got behind him so he couldn't back away! It looked like he also had to tell the GK to stay away from the spot and get back to his line at least twice.

4. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    He clearly missed the foul on CR #21 who then needed to be subbed out.

5. oxwof

oxwof Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Zambrano certainly allowed that first half to flow. At first, I was thinking this was maybe a little too loose, but tempers don't seem to be flaring.

akindc repped this.
  6. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    Well, that may have started to change...

7. oxwof

oxwof Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yep. I can't believe Wood didn't get a card for that swipe.

8. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But if you give that card, how do you ignore all the incitement by the Costa Rican player beforehand?

I usually don't make such blanket statements, but I just don't think Zambrano is very good. His foul selection is weird and inconsistent. His cautions more so. And his "management" abilities seem to amount to standing between players and spreading his arms like the wings of an eagle. He's got through this match, but I think that's in spite of his work and not because of it.

An awful performance? I guess not. But below average for an international referee in a major tournament like this.

Pierre Head and oxwof repped this.
  9. oxwof

oxwof Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What is that stripe on the ground inside the goals?

10. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    looks like part of the goal frame. I've noticed it in other matches as well

11. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Do you think he gets a more important assignment after this performance or a lesser match as a second?

12. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Depends on the make-up of the selection committee.
    Personally I don't think he could handle a really tough match like Mexico vs. Uruguay, or either of those two
    against any other team.

PH

13. alexspepa

alexspepa Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a ref...but I enjoy following this forum.
    regarding the pk, I thought it was a foul all day long, but one that is seldom called - regrettably so.

let's say it was a CR player being fouled, and not a US player - does it get called?

I ask this because I really get so upset when I see ridiculous holding going on in the box on free kicks? tbh in EPL games especially.
    thanks in advance for replies...and like I said - great call imo.

Lucky Wilbury repped this.
  14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The AR's name is Byron Romero and he's from Ecuador? I would change my name if I were a ref, because it's too similar to Byron Moreno and it's still too soon.

[​IMG]

Lucky Wilbury and colman1860 repped this.
  15. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    lol! so true..

16. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    I disagree with the premises that this type of PK is seldom called.
    Certainly there's tons of wrestling in the box that should be called, but isn't...but I don't see that as being the case here.
    On this play, the cross was heading directly towards Wood, and the defender put two hands onto his back and pushed, clearly extending his arms.
    I think that was an easy one...it's just about as blatant as it can get. Not a matter of holding, jostling, grabbing etc...a straight up, simple foul.

So yes, it gets called on either team.

Pierre Head repped this.
  17. mattyfire

mattyfire New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the proper mechanic is to point to the spot and then backpedal to the endline to keep everyone in front of you and deal with any dissent. I doesn't seem like this used very much at the higher levels, but it could have helped here.

18. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Some refs use this technique, but there is no specified "proper mechanic" for where to move to immediately after a PK call that I've ever seen. There is a recommended position when you blow the whistle for the kick, see LOTG I&G law 5 diagrams.

19. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Well put. And in recent times many have criticised the technique as looking unconfident or cowardly. (I've never been a fan.)

20. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, its part of the goal. New Kwik-Goal product, a fold up, compact box-style goal.

21. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Byron Moreno was in a Federal Penitentiary for only 2 1/2 years and returned to Ecuador several years ago.